Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign (D) Kurtis Foster (Jan. 13, 2013)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We sign one of these guys every year. I might just stop calling them by their names and call them collectively BP, for Bottom Pair.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's the anglophone version of Marc-Andre Bergeron. Just understand what you get from him. He is hockey's version of a placekicker.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Some on the Devils board set it perfectly:

"Flyers are happy they are getting Foster, Devils fans are happy the Flyers are getting Foster"

You know there's a problem when that happens. Seriously, the guy is awful. Sure, you could shelter him and just play him on the PP with limited even strength minutes, but he really doesn't offer anything besides his shot. His creativity isn't good at all, his passing isn't anything spectacular, he doesn't use his size, and his defense isn't atrocious.

I give it three weeks before Flyers fans hate him, in New Jersey, it got to the point where this thread was made: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1086477. That was only a month and like 9 days since the Devils acquired him.

Some of the highlights from that thread:

"Just move Foster to Championship Plaza and put the dopey bronze statue on the ice, it would give us better defense."
"Dowd's running a camp looking for Foster's replacement. (with pictures of kids playing hockey)."

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

"Flyers are happy they are getting Foster, Devils fans are happy the Flyers are getting Foster"

You know there's a problem when that happens. Seriously, the guy is awful. Sure, you could shelter him and just play him on the PP with limited even strength minutes, but he really doesn't offer anything besides his shot. His creativity isn't good at all, his passing isn't anything spectacular, he doesn't use his size, and his defense isn't atrocious.

I give it three weeks before Flyers fans hate him, in New Jersey, it got to the point where this thread was made: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1086477. That was only a month and like 9 days since the Devils acquired him.

"Just move Foster to Championship Plaza and put the dopey bronze statue on the ice, it would give us better defense."
"Dowd's running a camp looking for Foster's replacement. (with pictures of kids playing hockey)."

This means Homer gave him a 2 year contract at 1.5 million.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Foster isn't gonna be a top 4 dman but he is far from being a *****. He hits lots and can fight pretty good and can shoot like hell. Good depth signing and another R.Handed shot. Go to youtube for some of those hits and goals.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I have very little recollection of ever really noticing Foster on the ice in past seasons. Usually that means a defenseman has quietly provided serviceable minutes.

Reading through that Devils thread, though, I hope the rumour isn't true. :laugh:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Foster can hit really hard and although is far from perfect I think he'll be better than any of our Dmen down on the Phantoms. There was one game against Philly this past season where he lit up atleast 6 flyers and I was pissed off about it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Foster isn't gonna be a top 4 dman but he is far from being a *****. He hits lots and can fight pretty good and can shoot like hell. Good depth signing and another R.Handed shot. Go to youtube for some of those hits and goals.

Foster can hit really hard and although is far from perfect I think he'll be better than any of our Dmen down on the Phantoms. There was one game against Philly this past season where he lit up atleast 6 flyers and I was pissed off about it.

I watched him for three straight months last year, never ever do I remember him dishing out a significant hit or anything positive except his shot. If you really want, look at some Devils games from mid December to the beginning of March, I guarantee that in just about every game, Foster is directly at fault for one goal or made an absolutely stupid play on it.

To go further, in the game that Larsson got injured in, Foster allowed a horrid SHG where he made absolutely no effort to stop the play. The Devils dressed 7 D, benched Foster after the SHG, and even after Larsson got hurt, Foster sat on the bench. Furthermore, just look at the amount of SHG the Devils had with Foster and then when we didn't.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Who started this rumor? Where is this coming from? I haven't seen this posted by any of the usual Twitter guys.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

Seriously though...we have no one else to play on our bottom pairing. We have Brutal Gervias and Andreas Slowja. They will most likely let him duke it out with them and maybe 1-2 phantoms players. If Gus or even MAB werent hurt this guy wouldnt be close to the team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Seriously though...we have no one else to play on our bottom pairing. We have Brutal Gervias and Andreas Slowja. They will most likely let him duke it out with them and maybe 1-2 phantoms players. If Gus or even MAB werent hurt this guy wouldnt be close to the team.

I was gonna say there are better options, but other than Campoli, everyone else is awful. Campoli would've been a better option, I think.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I think it was a Flyers vs Devils game in NJ last season (early game on the weekend, IIRC). Went to the Devils board during/after game to read their GDT and they were RIPPING Foster a new one.

It was hilarious at the time because he had a bad game against the Flyers, but now.......

RJ8812*

I think it was a Flyers vs Devils game in NJ last season (early game on the weekend, IIRC). Went to the Devils board during/after game to read their GDT and they were RIPPING Foster a new one.

It was hilarious at the time because he had a bad game against the Flyers, but now.......

what to you expect? He's a bottom pairing defenseman...they **** up every now and then. that's why they see limited ice time

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Never good when a divisional rival's fans are giving each other high fives over your team potentially signing a player.

When another team's fans feel they have to reach out to tell how bad someone is, (ex. Tampa fans referring to "Brutal Gervais") it is a player that is not going to make us happy.

Could be worse, they could have signed Randy Jones.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Kurtis Foster is so bad that everyone must state how brutal he is before even confirming that this is not a rumor. Poor guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad