Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign 24 year old C/RW Mike Vecchione (Union, NCAA) to 1-year ELC

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Vecchione played one game in the NCAA tournament and his team got crushed. Judging him off that is dumb.

The Flyers aren't having a full practice today, then they play two games this weekend, then have another game on Tuesday. So the next full practice might not be till Wednesday or Thursday. So I could see Vecchione's debut being pushed back till 4/8.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
not a bad signing as he's a free prospect but i don't see him being anything more than a bottom 6 guy. he did not impress me at all in the ncaa tourney plus hes already pretty old for a prospect. this creates quite the log jam in the bottom 6 which hopefully means that the better players get the most playing time and improve the unit as a whole. but with this coach you never know...
If anyone is expecting a top 6 forward from the college free agency pool, they are going to be disappointed. You also shouldn't judge a player on one game. Especially when that player's team played their worst game of the year that particular day.

thunderhorse

Dec 10, 2008
Newtown Square, PA
Vecchione can be the 4C next year (or battle it out), move PEB to wing (because he's better there) and provide a better Wing (maybe Laughton)

4th Line could be PEB/VECC/LAUGHTON.

That's ****ing light years better than the slop this year.

True, and with VDV hopefully allowed to walk after this season, we'll see something like that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We really are creating a logjam for depth going into next year. Would not be surprised is 1-2 guys get moved in deals this summer.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
weird, his linemate Foo looked great in that game even though they got crushed. didn't know players couldn't impress if their team gets crushed. the more you know. and I wasn't judging his potential off that one game just pointing out that he wasn't impressive at all in the ncaa tourney nor was he impressive in the semis of his conference tourney.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
We really are creating a logjam for depth going into next year. Would not be surprised is 1-2 guys get moved in deals this summer.

Konecny - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Lindblom
Weal - Filppula - Simmonds
Raffl - Vecchione - PEB

Read/Weise/Laughton/Leier/Cousins (minus whomever taken in ED)

Someone has to be moved. I agree.

EDIT: forgot Cousins

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he's really 5'10 195, he's short but not undersized.

That is, combined with what's supposed to be good speed, he should have good leverage and be able to fight for pucks.

Konency, Weal, Giroux, Leier are undersized, as is Ghost.
Vecchione sounds more like he's compact.
He's actually a little more stout than Matt Read.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm not sure if this was mentioned but it's an added bonus that he is right-handed. We could use another right-handed faceoff option other than Giroux. Ok, you can now make your Boyd Gordon jokes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Getting a bit ahead of yourselves putting both Vecchione and Lindblom on the opening night roster next season.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
My only worry is that Vecchione's presence and the creation of another Hextall logjam of fringe character players will mean Hextall won't seriously pursue re-signing the much better Weal, and could mean they plan on starting Lindblom in the AHL. Otherwise, as long as he doesn't end up blocking out better players, I'm interested in seeing what he's got.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm not sure if this was mentioned but it's an added bonus that he is right-handed. We could use another right-handed faceoff option other than Giroux. Ok, you can now make your Boyd Gordon jokes.

A 70-year-old priest, an 80-year-old rabbi and Boyd Gordon walk into a bar.
The bartender says "What are you having"
The priest says "A beer."
The rabbi says "A gin martini."
Boyd Gordon says "Hip replacement surgery."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Getting a bit ahead of yourselves putting both Vecchione and Lindblom on the opening night roster next season.

It's not a lock, but it's not too far-fetched either.

Lindblom just needs a good camp. He is NHL ready and can play a position of need (LW).

Vecchione is more a stretch because of all the bottom 6 competition. I think Hextall will thin the herd some though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My only worry is that Vecchione's presence and the creation of another Hextall logjam of fringe character players will mean Hextall won't seriously pursue re-signing the much better Weal, and could mean they plan on starting Lindblom in the AHL. Otherwise, as long as he doesn't end up blocking out better players, I'm interested in seeing what he's got.

This is the exact same thing you said last summer about Konecny.

Lindblom is a top 6 LW if he makes the team

Konecny and Weal have both been used at LW for the most part

Vecchione is a bottom 6 C/RW if he makes the team

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well Read being done for the year means he now has a spot for the rest of the year, without having to bench Konecny.

Put TK on the top line and Vecchione on the 4th. Problem solved.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Lindblom is almost as much of a lock as you can. The kid dominated in a league that's 3rd best in the world. You going to put him in a lesser league for what?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lindblom is almost as much of a lock as you can. The kid dominated in a league that's 3rd best in the world. You going to put him in a lesser league for what?

Lyubimov got a spot on the Flyers roster all season long, so it's hard for me to imagine that Lindblom won't.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Lyubimov got a spot on the Flyers roster all season long, so it's hard for me to imagine that Lindblom won't.

220px-Dave_Hakstol_2015.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall decides who is on the opening night roster.

If you meant make the opening night lineup, Hakstol had two teenagers on it for 16-17. Lindblom will be 21.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad