Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign 24 year old C/RW Mike Vecchione (Union, NCAA) to 1-year ELC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't think he would be a fit here, but glad to have him aboard. Let's get him into some games here and get his feet wet.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I still think Read will go in the ED. Maybe Weiss with his garbage time production (If I was being fair I could say "returning to his normal level" but **** it). Either way, it's a RW slot opening up.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
According to Dave Isaac, he will be playing atleast a game within the final 5 games

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Great news ...if he joins the phantoms for the rest of the season that would be great.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The only reason I would be surprised if he moved to wing would be because of how good he is on faceoffs. One of his top qualities.

I guess they can do that, take the faceoffs then switch to wing thing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He may start off on wing then move to center eventually. Being good at college faceoffs doesn't guarantee he will be above PEB's level of 48% in the NHL right away.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The only reason I would be surprised if he moved to wing would be because of how good he is on faceoffs. One of his top qualities.

I guess they can do that, take the faceoffs then switch to wing thing.

well than the Flyers can have someone to take a faceoff in case someone gets kicked out of the dot. didnt follow this kids career at Union, but yeah cant go wrong with free stuff.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
He may start off on wing then move to center eventually. Being good at college faceoffs doesn't guarantee he will be above PEB's level of 48% in the NHL right away.

Oh no I agree, but I mean I doubt they bring him right in as a winger. Maybe they do to get him playing time and slowly let him take faceoffs.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
According to Dave Isaac, he will be playing atleast a game within the final 5 games

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/flyer-files/2017/03/31/unions-mike-vecchione-signs-one-year-deal-flyers/99867080/

Makes sense to play him to burn the year. Have to assume the next contract was already agreed upon in principle since he'll be UFA. Low risk, potentially high reward. Looks like a player with some speed and skill. If he turns out as well as Matt Read, it'll be a bonus. If not, he'll be a good Phantom.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/flyer-files/2017/03/31/unions-mike-vecchione-signs-one-year-deal-flyers/99867080/

Makes sense to play him to burn the year. Have to assume the next contract was already agreed upon in principle since he'll be UFA. Low risk, potentially high reward. Looks like a player with some speed and skill. If he turns out as well as Matt Read, it'll be a bonus. If not, he'll be a good Phantom.

He would be an RFA, but yes, it has to be agreed. I wonder what the cap hit will be on the extension?

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
not a bad signing as he's a free prospect but i don't see him being anything more than a bottom 6 guy. he did not impress me at all in the ncaa tourney plus hes already pretty old for a prospect. this creates quite the log jam in the bottom 6 which hopefully means that the better players get the most playing time and improve the unit as a whole. but with this coach you never know...

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
not a bad signing as he's a free prospect but i don't see him being anything more than a bottom 6 guy. he did not impress me at all in the ncaa tourney plus hes already pretty old for a prospect. this creates quite the log jam in the bottom 6 which hopefully means that the better players get the most playing time and improve the unit as a whole. but with this coach you never know...

You really need to learn where to capitalize letters, it's tough to read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad