Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
topic derailing...
0f8cb61e8eb97af463a86a815dd6bc88.jpg

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names and I can sue you. What a sad, pathetic world we live in.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Getting offended over "pick of the litter" is pretty out there. I'm sure if he used "he could choose any woman he wants" and no one would have said anything.

So I am just going to assume it is due to English not being my first language, but I cant be the only to see a difference between "litter" and "any woman". Thats not about PC, one makes you sound like a man, the other makes you sound like a dumb brick

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
So I am just going to assume it is due to English not being my first language, but I cant be the only to see a difference between "litter" and "any woman". Thats not about PC, one makes you sound like a man, the other makes you sound like a dumb brick

The term "pick of the litter" is an idiom, not to be taken entirely literal.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
The term "pick of the litter" is an idiom, not to be taken entirely literal.

Ha. In that case it was just like I thought - me misunderstanding the language. (at least I know who is the brick here :laugh: )

My apologies to lindberg and antman. Sorry guys!

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Some of you guys really need to lighten up. Frankly this generation is softer than Brian Boyle with their all their feelings crap.

I'm not really offended, but the second I saw this guy switch to the safe spaces comment when called out for it, I knew exactly what type we are dealing with. And frankly I'm tired of the online communities I frequent being occupied with these type of people that don't have any interest in being inclusive.

Call me PC all you want but I've seen a lot worse here (Sarah baicker) and think people should act like adults online.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Getting offended over "pick of the litter" is pretty out there. I'm sure if he used "he could choose any woman he wants" and no one would have said anything. The PC attitude is just ridiculous and frankly is just annoying. Maybe I'm just an old soul but I miss good ole rock and roll and the days when you could give/get a good old fashioned ass whoopin' without the cops/courts involved.

Funny side story: Over the weekend I learned that apparently my grandfather burned down this guy's boat and watched it burn since the guy screwed him over some money. He was pretty crazy but damn I can respect a guy like that.

Just to be clear I'm not on either side here, I wasn't trying to argue for or against you, just saying that the ages are spread out.

Personally, it's basically impossible to offend me. To me, they're just words and it doesn't matter what's said. I can't stand how touchy people get over stuff that doesn't matter, but at the same time the people who say certain "offensive" things specifically to "fight" PC culture are also being kinda dumb (not talking about what anyone posted in this thread).

As dumb as it sounds, it's probably because I grew up playing video games online. For as long as I can remember I've had people telling me they raped family members or that I should die of cancer or any other thing they thought was going to make me mad... but it honestly just makes me laugh because they're trying so hard, which makes them even more upset.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Just to be clear I'm not on either side here, I wasn't trying to argue for or against you, just saying that the ages are spread out.

Personally, it's basically impossible to offend me. To me, they're just words and it doesn't matter what's said. I can't stand how touchy people get over stuff that doesn't matter, but at the same time the people who say certain "offensive" things specifically to "fight" PC culture are also being kinda dumb (not talking about what anyone posted in this thread).

As dumb as it sounds, it's probably because I grew up playing video games online. For as long as I can remember I've had people telling me they raped family members or that I should die of cancer or any other thing they thought was going to make me mad... but it honestly just makes me laugh because they're trying so hard, which makes them even more upset.

I've grown up the same way, and in the past I've never cared. But without getting too political the recent international trends embracing this culture has made me aware that I don't want to passively allow that type of attitude to go unchecked in my communities.

Gaming is the absolute worst of them all, the amount of masoginistic, homophobic, and racial hatred spewed should make anyone sick. They are just words but they normalize these types of feelings when people are legitimately in danger. And I guess I just think it's time for the rest of us to put a stop to it instead of laughing it off.

Anyway the original comment was certainly innocuous, but the way the conversation was going hit a sore spot that's been bothering me a lot lately.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not really offended, but the second I saw this guy switch to the safe spaces comment when called out for it, I knew exactly what type we are dealing with. And frankly I'm tired of the online communities I frequent being occupied with these type of people that don't have any interest in being inclusive.

Call me PC all you want but I've seen a lot worse here (Sarah baicker) and think people should act like adults online.

:handclap:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've grown up the same way, and in the past I've never cared. But without getting too political the recent international trends embracing this culture has made me aware that I don't want to passively allow that type of attitude to go unchecked in my communities.

Gaming is the absolute worst of them all, the amount of masoginistic, homophobic, and racial hatred spewed should make anyone sick. They are just words but they normalize these types of feelings when people are legitimately in danger. And I guess I just think it's time for the rest of us to put a stop to it instead of laughing it off.

Anyway the original comment was certainly innocuous, but the way the conversation was going hit a sore spot that's been bothering me a lot lately.

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't see a point. There's no way to win here for either side.

When dealing with the type of person you're describing, the harder you push back against them, the harder they dig in and fight back. Nothing get accomplished... ever.

But hey, that's just what I've seen, I'm never on either side of it. I don't get worried about the words people use, but I also don't see any point in trying to antagonize the people who do. I want no part of the argument, just putting in my two cents.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

It's not dumb at all. It's entirely true. You built up your online immune system. I can tell I'm being flamed in about 15 different languages at this point. :laugh:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Getting offended over "pick of the litter" is pretty out there. I'm sure if he used "he could choose any woman he wants" and no one would have said anything. The PC attitude is just ridiculous and frankly is just annoying. Maybe I'm just an old soul but I miss good ole rock and roll and the days when you could give/get a good old fashioned ass whoopin' without the cops/courts involved.

Funny side story: Over the weekend I learned that apparently my grandfather burned down this guy's boat and watched it burn since the guy screwed him over some money. He was pretty crazy but damn I can respect a guy like that.

I don't really know what you mean about softness. People should be held accountable for what they do. You can say anything you want, but don't expect to not to get punched in the face

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
The internet should be as serious as a church. I'll pass around the plate.

It isn't hard to act like a decent individual and still have a little fun and not be a complete reactionary either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad