News: Flyers planning to flip Johansen

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Do you think there’s like a GM group chat where you can post a guy being available or do you have to call each one individually
Most of these guys are old or old school and call. I’m sure GMs that are friends text each other. Can’t imagine them having a GM only group chat if some of them hate each other haha. But it would definitely make things more efficient with modern technology. Besides I’m sure they are trying to bid up prices and do so on individual calls.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I can't see the return being worth limiting themselves to a single retention slot next season. One of their three goes to Hayes til like 2027, so if they retained through next year two they probably nix their ability to get a solid return for Ristolainen in the summer or take themselves off the table as a facilitator--though I assume that service will be in lower demand with the cap increasing.

But who even wants RyJo anyway.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Maybe the Sharks take him (along with the Avs 1st:sarcasm:) since their Top Centers are out?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do you think there’s like a GM group chat where you can post a guy being available or do you have to call each one individually
Philly GM: Hey, RyJo is available
Every other GM:
tenor.gif

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean, at max retention again, Ryan Johansen at $2M could be worth a flyer for somebody. Becomes a relatively easy contract to unload again or mostly bury at that point.

The issue is...i don't think anyone would be looking to give up much of any value for him, even at that price. So for Philly...is that really how they want to use their last retention spot for the year? And have it continue to be tied up for next year as well?

It feels like the return for Johansen @ $2M is probably not altogether in a different ballpark from what they might be able to get just continuing to play "3rd party facilitator" in other deadline deals. So...not sure it's worth it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It just seems like the Flyers have no reason to retain, unless a asset is coming back since the cost to buy out is so cheap. Plus it ties up a retention spot next year too.

So that seems unlikely.

More likely a bad contract for bad contract deal happens...though I won't be shocked at a Jake Allen trade with Philly adding.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
It just seems like the Flyers have no reason to retain, unless a asset is coming back since the cost to buy out is so cheap. Plus it ties up a retention spot next year too.

So that seems unlikely.

More likely a bad contract for bad contract deal happens...though I won't be shocked at a Jake Allen trade with Philly adding.
Allen is not a bad goalie, he just never fit in on the Montreal team. He was on the Stanley Cup winning team in St. Louis behind Bennington, and before he backed Benny he was in a tandem with Brian "Moose" Elliot (I always liked Moose when he was with the Flyers).

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Allen is not a bad goalie, he just never fit in on the Montreal team. He was on the Stanley Cup winning team in St. Louis behind Bennington, and before he backed Benny he was in a tandem with Brian "Moose" Elliot (I always liked Moose when he was with the Flyers).
Yeah and for philly, they have Ersson to be the #1 so they just need someone to play 5-8 games and give them a chance to win when Errson rests.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
In all seriousness, RyJo @50% for Noel Acciari in Pit seems like a decent swap for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad