News: Flyers planning to flip Johansen

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Isn't he on waivers? Unless Philly retains, which I'm not sure if they can, why would anyone spend assets to acquire him?
Because the Flyers can take back a contract.

A team might not be able to fit Johansen in over the next two seasons at 4M, but if they have a player they feel is redundant who with matching term that the Flyers take, then it can work.

It's a sunk cost for the Flyers, so even if they get a mid round pick to swap for someone else's sunk cost, that's added value with no real difference to the Flyers.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Korpisolo for Johansen

They would probably want a 1st round pick. Korpisalo has 4 years left, Johansen only has 1.

Forsberg for Johansen is something that would make sense if Ottawa likes Johansen, and if Forsberg isn't moveable somewhere else.

Philadelphia gains 1.25M in cap and Ottawa gets Johansen at a net cost of 1.25M in cap.

I don't think Ottawa should acquire a player who has been exiled from multiple teams. They don't need that kind of potential negativity.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
The Flyers can just buy out RyJo at the end of year for cap hits of $1.33M for two years, so there’s really no incentive for them to take on any bad contracts.

If the Flyers retain half, they might even get an asset.

I could see some team giving up a 2026 4th/5th for RyJo at $2M. He’s still really good in the dot (53.1% this season and 53.4% for his career) and should do better on a team that doesn’t rely on speed and hustle like the Avs.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Come on
Is he worth it? Let me prove it
I put my Johansen down, flip him and reverse it
Ti esrever dna mih pilf nwod nesnahoJ ym tup I
Ti esrever dna him pilf nwod nensahoJ ym tup I

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
The Flyers can just buy out RyJo at the end of year for cap hits of $1.33M for two years, so there’s really no incentive for them to take on any bad contracts.

If the Flyers retain half, they might even get an asset.

I could see some team giving up a 2026 4th/5th for RyJo at $2M. He’s still really good in the dot (53.1% this season and 53.4% for his career) and should do better on a team that doesn’t rely on speed and hustle like the Avs.
with 2x$4M left...I don't think it will be an easy, 24 hour window, decision. unless some playoff bound GM really thinks highly of him.

also. that would be the Flyer's last retention slot. $2Mx2 years might be low-balling their possible retention values...
0% chance he's getting moved without an asset attached.
probably
most likely.

to me he seems more like a possible rehab project next season, and then we can all revisit the question of "is he worth acquiring, by any team at some retention level...". But I cannot see Flyers giving him too much time on Tort's team roster, unless playing for his next contract year *really* influences him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Assuming Philadelphia is willing to retain 50% I'd take a chance on him.

he put up 63 points less than 2 years ago, I find it VERY hard to believe that level of skill vanished overnight

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Common Ducks, get him retained for McGinn! I want assigned #17 then traded for a first like Monahan. Have Kesler be a player advisor to him too haha.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
with 2x$4M left...I don't think it will be an easy, 24 hour window, decision. unless some playoff bound GM really thinks highly of him.

also. that would be the Flyer's last retention slot. $2Mx2 years might be low-balling their possible retention values...

probably

most likely.

to me he seems more like a possible rehab project next season, and then we can all revisit the question of "is he worth acquiring, by any team at some retention level...". But I cannot see Flyers giving him too much time on Tort's team roster, unless playing for his next contract year *really* influences him.
Not two years, just one after this season. $2M prorated for the rest of this year and $2M next year is pretty manageable. RyJo is still only 31, so I could see some team giving him a shot if they don’t play a fast-paced game.

He’s certainly not a top-6 guy anymore, but he’s actually been pretty decent defensively for the Avs recently, is right-handed, good at taking faceoffs, and still has a pretty good shot. However, he is slow and definitely plays a lazy game, so he was a bad fit for the Avs from the start.

Could be a flawed 3C with the right linemates for some team.

The chances of it working out probably aren’t very good, but there’s very few C options available at this point, so some team might just be desperate enough to give it a try.

The acquiring team would be able to buy him out at a cap hit of $665k for two years after this season if it doesn’t work out, so there’s virtually zero risk.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
While salary retention is their best option, they'd be left with only one slot next season. Already retaining half of Hayes' contract.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Rumored locker room issues? Doubt many teams will sign on for that at any price.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I have an idea of a team who might be a fit. This might seem crazy, but stick with me here...

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Do you think there’s like a GM group chat where you can post a guy being available or do you have to call each one individually

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00