Flyers own St Louis' 1st round pick in 2018, 14th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
In 2015 my "gut feeling" player in the draft was Konecny. This year it's Veleno. I'm hoping and praying that Hextall uses the STL pick to move up in the 8-12 range and pick him up.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Joe Veleno and McLeod for me.. If we trade Simmonds..I would also draft Serron Noel. Hoping he becomes Wilson.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Don't love Veleno's hockey sense. How he adapts to an NHL system and decisions under tight checking does worry me. Could be a death knell for his Flyers stock, though I'd imagine they'd like his physical attributes and compete.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Don't love Veleno's hockey sense. How he adapts to an NHL system and decisions under tight checking does worry me. Could be a death knell for his Flyers stock, though I'd imagine they'd like his physical attributes and compete.
after coach and team were changed he did well.. Good skater and set up man. He is high risk high reward player.

Do not want to draft d-men unless it's Dobson or Bouchard. Ty Smith is too small..

Last edited:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
after coach and team were changed he was almost 2pts per game player... He is high risk high reward player.

Yes, I know (it was ~1.4). I've seen him on both teams plenty. I've written a ton of words on him in the draft thread. He's got top 10 talent; I just worry that he's a bit of a tools/no tools box player. He plays slow; his decisions can be iffy on the puck; he loves to beat people entirely himself. He certainly does a lot of junior level stuff. Sometimes he is better there than other times, but it's a legitimate issue.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Yes, I know (it was ~1.4). I've seen him on both teams plenty. I've written a ton of words on him in the draft thread. He's got top 10 talent; I just worry that he's a bit of a tools/no tools box player. He plays slow; his decisions can be iffy on the puck; he loves to beat people entirely himself. He certainly does a lot of junior level stuff. Sometimes he is better there than other times, but it's a legitimate issue.
He is a risk and he is 18 but 79pts at 18 is pretty damn good. Fast skater and strong work ethic. Not a horrible pick.

Last edited:

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Care to trade this pick for Chris Tanev of Vancouver. :) Would help you guys stabilize your D core and help slow up Crosby and crew next time out. Tanev is arguably one of the top shut down transitional D in the game. Had some freak injuries this season but is a very good shot suppression D man. Toronto was wanting him but Lou didn't feel he wanted to give up the right value.

Reactions: AdamParrot

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
sounds like another voracek

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
sounds like another voracek

He's like the prospect version of what Voracek's biggest detractors think Voracek is. If he had any hockey sense, Veleno has the ability to be Voracek-esque. I gather you're viewing that as a negative, but I'm using that as a positive.

In reality, Voracek is nowhere near the straight line player Veleno is as he utilizes space so well east-west; is a far better passer who actually finds openings instead of ; doesn't try to 1 on 1 every d-man off the rush (back to straight line thing and attacking space, not players) and actually is more effective when he does hold onto pucks down low; and has a lot better hockey sense than people give him credit for. Veleno paints himself into corners constantly. There are no dumb p/g players, just shades of smart -- and no, Voracek isn't in the elite tier there. But I think Veleno can play dumb against teenagers.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
He's like the prospect version of what Voracek's biggest detractors think Voracek is. If he had any hockey sense, Veleno has the ability to be Voracek-esque. I gather you're viewing that as a negative, but I'm using that as a positive.

In reality, Voracek is nowhere near the straight line player Veleno is as he utilizes space so well east-west; is a far better passer who actually finds openings instead of ; doesn't try to 1 on 1 every d-man off the rush (back to straight line thing and attacking space, not players) and actually is more effective when he does hold onto pucks down low; and has a lot better hockey sense than people give him credit for. Veleno paints himself into corners constantly. There are no dumb p/g players, just shades of smart -- and no, Voracek isn't in the elite tier there. But I think Veleno can play dumb against teenagers.
thanks you've seen this kid and know better than i do. the things you said about him just sounded like jake to me especialy the trying to beat 4 guys by himself thing i've seen him try this alot with bad results

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Care to trade this pick for Chris Tanev of Vancouver. :) Would help you guys stabilize your D core and help slow up Crosby and crew next time out. Tanev is arguably one of the top shut down transitional D in the game. Had some freak injuries this season but is a very good shot suppression D man. Toronto was wanting him but Lou didn't feel he wanted to give up the right value.

No thank you, Steven. The only thing we need to stabilize our D corps is a coaching change.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I forgot the NHL Draft Lottery was on last year. I was watching a movie and checked my Twitter feed and kept scrolling and saw the messages about the Flyers winning the Lottery.

That was a great night.
Me too. I didn't even realize it until the following morning. I was so confused and didn't quite understand until I saw a report of it on TV.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Well that's settled. Off the Flyers' draft board.
Hextall rates hockey IQ as a key element in a player's toolbox.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The checking 3C?
People need to stop acting like it was unfair to categorize Coots as a third line center. He played six years in the NHL as a third line center before he broke out. There is no chance that anyone criticizing people for calling Coots a third line center would look at any non-Flyer that never scored 40 points in their first six years and argue that they are not a third line center.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
People need to stop acting like it was unfair to categorize Coots as a third line center. He played six years in the NHL as a third line center before he broke out. There is no chance that anyone criticizing people for calling Coots a third line center would look at any non-Flyer that never scored 40 points in their first six years and argue that they are not a third line center.

Eh, disagree. Folks were clamoring for Coots to get better linemates and usage since Berube. While the extent of the breakout may have been in doubt, few folks were surprised that putting him with better players, with better zone starts, would lead to a huge uptick in his point generating performance.

Any and all 3C jokes are, and were, valid. If Coots plays until he's ~36 and beyond., maybe then, since his 1st two years in the league, he'll honestly be a 3C quality player (injuries excepted.)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Flyers counter with 22 year old LHD Robert Hagg and 2018 2nd round draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad