Flyers own St Louis' 1st round pick in 2018, 14th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Toews has been for Chicago what Couts now is for us, though if Couts stays on PP1, he'll probably score more than Toews.
I wouldn't call either player "elite" (for the same reason I don't consider Voracek elite, by definition, elite is a very small club).
But if you're building a team, you want a Toews or Couts as one of your top five players.

Flyers have in Patrick a guy who is similar but more talented.
Thats yet to be seen. I'll honestly be surprised if Patrick is ever as impactful overall as 17-18 Couturier. People underrate him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think I've had an aneurysm trying to decipher this post
it is a pretty awesome sentence tho
Tehcnically, he's right. Toews does a lot of things others don't do.

Like get SEVERELY overpaid to be on a Stanley Cup winner and being praised as the best player in the world, while not even being the best player on his team. :laugh:

Reactions: CodyTheHuman

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Thats yet to be seen. I'll honestly be surprised if Patrick is ever as impactful overall as 17-18 Couturier. People underrate him.

I'd be surprised if he isn't. Couturier's 76 points sound great, but that leaves him at 27th in points scored. Had he put those numbers up the prior year he is 9th in points. His stats sound better than they actually were.

Now Couturier's defense is great, we all know that, but based on everything we've seen Patrick looks like he will be a very solid defensive player in the future as well.

Can Patrick put up top ~20 points + quality defense at some point in his career? I'm leaning towards yes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And eventually as good or better on defense, he has great instincts, is as big or bigger (once he hits the weights) and is a better skater.
Nor should this be a surprise, Couts was #8, and is living up to the draft status, Patrick was #2, and maybe #1 if he was healthy, and is starting to live up to that draft status.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
[QUOTE="FlyTimmo, post: 144673841, member: 202839

Can Patrick put up top ~20 points + quality defense at some point in his career? I'm leaning towards yes.[/QUOTE]

That’s some pretty tempered expectations you have there...

Reactions: Tripod

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Being a “winner” is a result of being on a winning team, not an individual accomplishment.

You named a bunch of team achievements when judging an individual... which is just as ridiculous as saying the Oilers are the best team in the league because McDavid scored the most points this year.

Individuals and teams are completely separate.
no i did say mvp on a couple of those accomplishments, that,s not just team he was the dominat force maybe you need to go back and watch some of those games and if you do you would you would probably change your mind. i am not calling him generational just very good

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Being a winner is both being on a winning team, and being a reason that it is a winning team.
That is, certain players make teammates better, thus increase the odds of the team outperforming its talent.

To me Couts is one of those guys, Voracek and Simmonds are not.

I think that's why Hextall has focused on accumulating smart, two way centers who are good playmakers, Couts, Patrick, Frost, Vorobyev, Rubtsov. They can make their wings better players by covering their butt on defense and getting them the puck.

On the other hand, I don't think Laughton is that kind of center.

Reactions: hatcher

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
broken_record-wide.jpg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hmm Toews.
Last five seasons:
23-34 57 ES 19-25 44 PP 4-9 13
+78 Corsi 55.6% CorsiRel 3.8 E+/- (4yrs) +23.8

That may not be elite, but it ain't half bad.
If Couts can match that from 25-29, we wouldn't be unhappy.

toews possession metrics, combined with his linemates never put up the numbers one would expect, he has had a 60 ozone faceoff start his whole career centering a hall of famer every year and only 1 time has he ever been a ppg player and that was during the lockout year. He is one of the most confusing players because anyone under those cicumstances not only is a ppg but certainly well above except for him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
toews possession metrics, combined with his linemates never put up the numbers one would expect, he has had a 60 ozone faceoff start his whole career centering a hall of famer every year and only 1 time has he ever been a ppg player and that was during the lockout year. He is one of the most confusing players because anyone under those cicumstances not only is a ppg but certainly well above except for him.

PPG guys tend to pick up a bunch on the PP, Toews doesn't seem to be a good PP guy.
Average 57 ES points for five years, that's pretty darn good.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I'm hoping for Ty Smith or Joel Farabee with this pick. They could both be gone by this point, of course.

Average number of dmen drafted before the 14th pick is 4.6 (between 3 and 8) so with Dahlin, Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson most probable top 5, chances are Smith or Bode Wilde will be there at 14 and maybe some team will even take Merkley before our pick.

I dont know much about Smith but i do like Wilde with a hard shot, a rightie plus nice size.

If they wish to pick a fwd, i see one of Veleno, Kupari or Farabee to be there at 14.

With our pick i expect Hextall to surprise us again with a guy ranked in the 2nd round in consensus rankings.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd expect Hextall to trade down from the 2nd first rd pick because the talent often flattens out in that area, and trade up from the 2nd rd pick inside pick 40.
Of course, a Simmonds trade could be a wild card, with 3 1st rd picks, anything is possible.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This is the thing I hate most about Towes. Most of his accomplishments are team accomplishments. He was a good to great player on really really good teams. And all the crap that's discussed about Giroux never winning anything. Which isn't true. In 07-08 in the memorial cup his stat line was ridiculous.
19 GP17 G34A51Pts
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
While carrying his team to a cup...

Just goes to show how bad of a coach Hakstol is. Couldn’t even win an NCAA title with Toews.

Reactions: Vikke and Tripod

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
and not blowing their money on players unlike what detroit is doing right now.

Different management for both franchises. I truthfully do not know much about the Detroit situation currently and merely referenced on how they build a tremendous team on drafting lower and picking up some key UFA's. A big part of the equation is management and scouting.

Detroit put it all together in the losing decade of the 80's when the 90's arrived. Good on them (still hate Chelios, but love Lidstrom).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad