Flyers own St Louis' 1st round pick in 2018, 14th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Eh, disagree. Folks were clamoring for Coots to get better linemates and usage since Berube. While the extent of the breakout may have been in doubt, few folks were surprised that putting him with better players, with better zone starts, would lead to a huge uptick in his point generating performance.

Any and all 3C jokes are, and were, valid. If Coots plays until he's ~36 and beyond., maybe then, since his 1st two years in the league, he'll honestly be a 3C quality player (injuries excepted.)
People make excuses for the fan favorites all the time. There are certain players where people will always blame defensive pairings, coaching, or linemates (and for your team whipping boys, will harp on every single thing and never give them the benefit of the doubt). For some it is warranted, for others it isn't. Don't get me wrong, Couturier is my favorite player. Only Flyers jersey I have purchased since I got a Mikael Renberg jersey after he was traded (the first time so I got some use out of it) for like $20 at Modell's. But if you're in the league for six years and you are playing the role of a third line center during that time period and not really showing that offensive capability, it is a bit of a stretch to now look back and mock those who thought he was a third line center. I mean I can hold out hope that Sam Morin is going to be a #1 defender some day, and most people would disagree with me, but if he turns out that way I don't think it would be a reason to mock everyone who maybe said something negative about the kid who is not an NHL regular five years post draft.

Reactions: BackWithaVengeance

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers counter with 22 year old LHD Robert Hagg and 2018 2nd round draft pick.

I'd just go Hagg for Tanev straight up, Tanev has been injured the last two years, and his play has slipped, not sure he's as good as Gudas right now, or even MacDonald. He had three good years from 24-26, but turns 29 this year. You're betting on him recovering his peak form and staying healthy, I'm not overpaying for that gamble.

While he's a good defender and puck mover, he's also as soft as MacDonald and isn't much of an offensive threat - so he's basically a younger version of MacDonald with better puck moving skills.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I wouldn't trade Hagg. I think he is going to be great. If I could make my pairing, I'd love to have him replace Gudas. And have Myers and Morin rotate out with Macdonald to blend them in the league nicely.

This would be IF we go young on the back end next year.

Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Morin -- Sanheim
Hagg -- Myers
* Macdonald

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I wouldn't trade Hagg. I think he is going to be great. If I could make my pairing, I'd love to have him replace Gudas. And have Myers and Morin rotate out with Macdonald to blend them in the league nicely.

This would be IF we go going on the back end next year.

Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Morin -- Sanheim
Hagg -- Myers
* Macdonald
Perfect d.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This would be IF we go going on the back end next year.

Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Morin -- Sanheim
Hagg -- Myers
* Macdonald

He wont be :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg is garbage.

I don’t know how much more clear that could possibly be.

Sucked in the AHL, sucks in the NHL, but will suddenly become great? Yeah ok.

First he’ll need to learn do something that helps the team win... literally anything, because right now he doesn’t do anything. Horrible offensively, horrible in transition, horrible defensively.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hagg is garbage.

I don’t know how much more clear that could possibly be.

Sucked in the AHL, sucks in the NHL, but will suddenly become great? Yeah ok.

First he’ll need to learn do something that helps the team win... literally anything, because right now he doesn’t do anything. Horrible offensive, horrible in transition, horrible defensively.

Hes not HORRIBLE defensively. Hes not what id call good though. He does win battles very well. I think he can improve his reads in the dzone and become a decent #6 but thats about it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hes not HORRIBLE defensively. Hes not what id call good though. He does win battles very well. I think he can improve his reads in the dzone and become a decent #6 but thats about it.
200w.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

His ceiling is Nicklas Grossmann to me. He was, at one time, a solid bottom pair defender. Even had 1 solid top 4 season with Streit. That is Haggs absolute ceiling when he peaks in mid 20s. Do I want him on my D? Nope. I want 6 guys that can at the very least pass personally.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
If Hextall has any brains, he moves Hagg at the draft, either for picks or to move up. I just can't see Gudas being moved without another veteran being brought in, which is definitely a distinct possibility. It would also be a Hextall move to trade Hagg for 2019 picks, as well.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
See this is where I disagree. Yes Hagg will be a bottom pairing guy. But I think after some experience and training, he can be a good bottom pairing guy, who can help you win battles, and be a key role on a winning team. Not every player has to be a superstar top 2 D. Hagg is what he is, and I think he shouldn't be moved.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
His ceiling is Nicklas Grossmann to me. He was, at one time, a solid bottom pair defender. Even had 1 solid top 4 season with Streit. That is Haggs absolute ceiling when he peaks in mid 20s. Do I want him on my D? Nope. I want 6 guys that can at the very least pass personally.
I think he’s already reached that ceiling.

A defensemen who sucks at everything and belongs in Europe.

That “prime” Grossmann would probably get his shit stomped today, same as Hagg did. Speed and puck moving is more important than ever today.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
If you move on from Hagg, you bring in a could look to package him in for a guy like Tanev, if at a reasonable price.

Provorov -- Tanev
Morin -- Gostisbehere
Sanheim -- Myers

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think he’s already reached that ceiling.

A defensemen who sucks at everything and belongs in Europe.

That “prime” Grossmann would probably get his **** stomped today, same as Hagg did. Speed and puck moving is more important than ever today.

There are still physical stay-at-home dmen that arent burners on NHL teams in bottom-pair roles. They arent completely extinct yet lol.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There are still physical stay-at-home dmen that arent burners on NHL teams in bottom-pair roles. They arent completely extinct yet lol.

Hagg is a better skater than Grossman or Schenn, and he was more aggressive on offense later in the year.
He has a way to go to be an adequate passer and at least passable as a shooter from the point.
But I'd point out that Gudas at the same age wasn't any better than Hagg.
And Hagg is a lot smarter than Gudas in avoiding penalties while playing physical.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
My 2¥. Hagg is a 6/7. Gudas is now a 6/7. MacDonald is a 5/6. So the question is would Hextall have a nervous breakdown with the top 4 defensemen under 25? My guess is yes. So another season with a couple of nellies back there on D. I am not sure what he has up his sleeve. He said he needs to get better at his job, if you take his word. But as a salesperson , I would not trust this person.I use the eye and ear test. Would I buy a car from him? He is cage-y. But probably not. When a salesman sells to another salesman, I always look for the key word. For me it was when he referred to hockey as a "product." That has irked me ever since. But you all should have been offended by his remarks regarding us "minority" who know zero. Nothing like blaming the customer for having a bad "product"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad