Status
Not open for further replies.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Just a couple of points:
1. Konecny was ready 1 year after his draft when picked 24th overall. Frost looks like he has a decent chance to play next year as the 27th overall pick one season after his draft. So I don’t think that pick will necessarily take 2-3 years to be a contributor.
2. I don’t think the team is all that concerned with a big step forward next year. Just about everyone is signed to be back except Filppula and Manning so there will likely be minimal changes, whereas the following year there are only 5 forwards, 3 defensemen and no goalies signed. I think the goalies are a clear giveaway as far as the plan. Both guys are stopgaps, not Stanley cup level. So if the plan is to tread water until 2019-2020 with stop gap goalies, why would Hextall seek a significant upgrade somewhere else on the roster for next season?

You are a lot more likely to be correct about how things will play out than I am.
Point 1, certainly a possibility. But for every Konecny there is a Rubtsov.
Point 2, You are probably right, I am just not happy about it.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
You are a lot more likely to be correct about how things will play out than I am.

Rubtsov still projects to be a bottom 6 nhl winger that's really not a bad pick.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The other thing to remember is there isn’t a ton of open positions available that is worth locking up long term with a trade in the forward group. Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom, Voracek, and Frost all will be in the top 9 for many years starting as soon as next season. So two spots in the top 9 available. Can’t those spots be filled internally over the next couple of years from a group of Vorobyev, NAK, Rubtsov, Allison, Bunnaman, and Laczynski. Moving a first for a forward blocks that spot one would hope long term since you don’t want to waste a first for a couple of seasons only. That’s one of reasons I think signing Simmonds is foolish because there would only be one spot in the top 9 available for all those prospects to compete for over the next 4 years or so. The same is true on defense.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The other thing to remember is there isn’t a ton of open positions available that is worth locking up long term with a trade in the forward group. Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom, Voracek, and Frost all will be in the top 9 for many years starting as soon as next season. So two spots in the top 9 available. Can’t those spots be filled internally over the next couple of years from a group of Vorobyev, NAK, Rubtsov, Allison, Bunnaman, and Laczynski. Moving a first for a forward blocks that spot one would hope long term since you don’t want to waste a first for a couple of seasons only. That’s one of reasons I think signing Simmonds is foolish because there would only be one spot in the top 9 available for all those prospects to compete for over the next 4 years or so. The same is true on defense.

I think trading Simmonds and bringing in a more NHL ready young forward is a better idea than waiting years to fill those additional 2 top 9 forward spots through internal promotion. We need to accelerate things this summer after seeing how well some of our top players played this year. Time for Hextall to go into contender mode.

Reactions: Tripod

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's completely unbelievable and you should be ashamed.

I mean... a blue-line without ManDog? What are you thinking? :sarcasm:

This s how loaded we are with d prospects. i forgot Morin. If we wanted to package Sanheim with picks to get Dahlin we are one of the few teams that could get away with it.

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think trading Simmonds and bringing in a more NHL ready young forward is a better idea than waiting years to fill those additional 2 top 9 forward spots through internal promotion. We need to accelerate things this summer after seeing how well some of our top players played this year. Time for Hextall to go into contender mode.
I don’t mind waiting because this team won’t win anything until the defense is fixed. So for Hextall to accelerate the process he would need to add a top 4 defender. Free agency is pretty ugly outside of Carlson, whom Washington will likely resign. That leaves trade which means say goodbye to Sanheim.

Or they can just play Sanheim and or Morin and Myers and live thru the growing pains the next two seasons. I would chose this option so fixing the forwards internally falls in line with the defense prospects development......of Hakstol will play them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t mind waiting because this team won’t win anything until the defense is fixed. So for Hextall to accelerate the process he would need to add a top 4 defender. Free agency is pretty ugly outside of Carlson, whom Washington will likely resign. That leaves trade which means say goodbye to Sanheim.

Or they can just play Sanheim and or Morin and Myers and live thru the growing pains the next two seasons. I would chose this option so fixing the forwards internally falls in line with the defense prospects development......of Hakstol will play them.

Sanheim - Gudas can be a very good 2nd pair as soon as next season. Quick, someone tell our stupid f***ing coach!

Hagg/Morin - Myers as a 3rd pair would have some growing pains but would be better than what we have had this season.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Sanheim - Gudas can be a very good 2nd pair as soon as next season. Quick, someone tell our stupid ****ing coach!

Hagg/Morin - Myers as a 3rd pair would have some growing pains but would be better than what we have had this season.
I agree with you but I don’t see any way that actually happens next year with this coaching staff.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Depending on where STL picks, I would prefer trading back to trading up with that pick. If they're at 14 say, maybe Detroit takes Vegas pick and one of their early second-rounders? Even assuming VGK wins it all and that pick is #31, they could grab some combination of like Eggenberger and Woo in the first, and maybe someone like Groulx or Olofsson in the early second? I would be happy with Eggenberger and Woo in the first with the picks as they stand, but there's a chance one of them are available toward the back end of the first. I'd love to somehow grab them both and still be able to grab a guy like Groulx or Olofsson in the second.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Depending on where STL picks, I would prefer trading back to trading up with that pick. If they're at 14 say, maybe Detroit takes Vegas pick and one of their early second-rounders? Even assuming VGK wins it all and that pick is #31, they could grab some combination of like Eggenberger and Woo in the first, and maybe someone like Groulx or Olofsson in the early second? I would be happy with Eggenberger and Woo in the first with the picks as they stand, but there's a chance one of them are available toward the back end of the first. I'd love to somehow grab them both and still be able to grab a guy like Groulx or Olofsson in the second.

The absolute last thing this teams is QUANTITY over QUALITY.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I love it when Hakstol uses picks to trade up
giphy.gif

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The absolute last thing this teams is QUANTITY over QUALITY.
What I'm saying is the players available at 14 that I would pick (meaning me, not necessarily you or Hextall) very well may be there toward the end of the first, and the other options should they not be there are at least IMO on the same level. If the Flyers are picking around 20 with their pick, Woo, Eggenberger, Kupari, etc. and other players I like should be there. I'm confident that I can get a player I like at 20ish. Those same players I think could be there at 30ish. Obviously if someone falls or if someone I fall in love with is there at 14ish, you take him. But if I have a list of 8 guys all ranked the same and they're all there at 14, I'm trading back.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

And that's a GOOD thing. When a top prospect can work their way up the food chain without pressure.
We saw that last decade when players like B Schenn and Couts were on the 3rd and 4th lines to start their career.
If the 1st rd picks this year spend two years in juniors and 1 in the AHL, when they arrive in 2021-22 it's be in time to push Giroux, Voracek, etc for PT or push out someone less talented off the 3rd D-pair.

Moving a 1st for a forward only makes sense in a package for a top young prospect who already has NHL experience, like when we traded for Voracek and Simmonds. But not a 28-30 year old veteran who'll be on the decline in a couple seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad