Flyers own St Louis' 1st round pick in 2018, 14th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
If the Flyers get this pick from the Blues, I would be interested in trading our own pick (assuming it's 16+) for some more immediate help.
I don't see the need. If we get the Blues' pick, which we should barring a lottery ball win, we should take it. Then the Flyers should do what they do best and take their own pick later in the round and grab another great young player no one else was looking at. See, Frost, Konecny, etc.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Blues playoff odds back up near 40%. They need to be losing.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
No team was going to trade that 2015 pick. I remember buffalo trying to do whatever they could to get some more mcdavid lottery balls and no team would part with their picks

Yup. That 2015 draft was insane with talent.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why would we acquire Dahlin? So he can go to Lehigh and learn how to Hak-Hockey?
To then flip him, plus a couple more first round picks, some roster players, bad prospects, and a random late pick, for McDavid.

I mean, if we’re making up ridiculous trades that have a 0% chance of happening, we might as well go all the way.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
To then flip him, plus a couple more first round picks, some roster players, bad prospects, and a random late pick, for McDavid.

I mean, if we’re making up ridiculous trades that have a 0% chance of happening, we might as well go all the way.

Mcdavid doesn't have enough veteran presence to be an attractive option, imo.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Why?
The way it goes our pick will end up higher.

I would keep the better of the two picks, trade the later.

I don't see the need. If we get the Blues' pick, which we should barring a lottery ball win, we should take it. Then the Flyers should do what they do best and take their own pick later in the round and grab another great young player no one else was looking at. See, Frost, Konecny, etc.

I guess I feel we have enough in the pipeline coming that we can spare the pick IF there is an option via trade to get immediate help. Chances are the player available at pick 16+ won't be ready to make an impact in the NHL for 2-3 years or more. Making the playoffs this year will be nice and a bit ahead of my expectations if it's better than a WC spot. Next year they need to be much better, a playoff lock and a threat to win a round or two. If they don't keep to a schedule of progress like that, we won't be on pace to win a Cup for 5 yrs.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

I guess I feel we have enough in the pipeline coming that we can spare the pick IF there is an option via trade to get immediate help. Chances are the player available at pick 16+ won't be ready to make an impact in the NHL for 2-3 years or more. Making the playoffs this year will be nice and a bit ahead of my expectations if it's better than a WC spot. Next year they need to be much better, a playoff lock and a threat to win a round or two. If they don't keep to a schedule of progress like that, we won't be on pace to win a Cup for 5 yrs.
Just a couple of points:
1. Konecny was ready 1 year after his draft when picked 24th overall. Frost looks like he has a decent chance to play next year as the 27th overall pick one season after his draft. So I don’t think that pick will necessarily take 2-3 years to be a contributor.
2. I don’t think the team is all that concerned with a big step forward next year. Just about everyone is signed to be back except Filppula and Manning so there will likely be minimal changes, whereas the following year there are only 5 forwards, 3 defensemen and no goalies signed. I think the goalies are a clear giveaway as far as the plan. Both guys are stopgaps, not Stanley cup level. So if the plan is to tread water until 2019-2020 with stop gap goalies, why would Hextall seek a significant upgrade somewhere else on the roster for next season?

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
I wonder how I would feel if we end up with Blues pick this year and then they crash even worse next year ending up getting the 1st overall 2019. I wonder what how I would feel is the opposite happens and we get that 1st overall. One can always dream...

2024 is supposed to be stacked. make it 2025 and i'm a little more open to it.

2025 7th round is said to be the deepest 7th round ever. Source: the voices in my head.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

I fully agree. They need to have an internal roadmap and they need to show steady improvement each season. Also need to keep in mind that no matter how well you construct the roster, there is matchups, injury luck, officiating and other factors. May have one of the best lineups in the league and still go home empty handed a couple of years in a row.... and then all of sudden we are talking 5-7 years and re-tool.

It's cheap to say that the current year does not really count, have fun picking twice in the first again, and next season we are expected to go deep and the new era of Flyers' dominance is about to start but that's not how it works. For instance, it's much easier to acquire a good PKer by spending a spare draft pick than attempting to draft one yourself because you can't reliably read that talent in a kid.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
This would be why u collect as many assets as u can. draft picks and prospects will get u a piece u need when u are contending in case of injury or a hole in ur lineup. As hextall has said he is acquiring as many assets as he can to make his contending window bigger 10 years was the number he used. When u are contending u may only have 4 or 5 picks that year.

Reactions: Darover75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad