Pre-Game Talk: Flyers @ Oilers: What has to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Nurse is sent down, it is the equivalent of management coming out and saying "we're intentionally tanking for the rest of the year... See you in June."

That's a stretch, but I do want Nurse to stay. I'm okay with him being the 7th Dman though, with him sharing a top 4 spot with Davidson until one really stands out above the other. Nurse overall has been better than Davidson imo but Davidson was really great in the second half of last game.

I definitely want to see Reinhart draw in, and I really liked the Reinhart-Gryba pairing. I also wouldn't blame McLellan if he didn't want to have an all rookie pairing, even if it's the bottom pairing.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Taylor Hall is playing some of the best hockey I've seen him play the past couple games. Add that to Yakupovs play for the few games before that and I think we may have a pretty good coach.

Davidson and Nurse need to keep it up and Klefbom needs to get better. Sekera is a mystery. Ference and Gryba should probably sit, if possible.

My question is sit Talbot or give him another shot?
Montreal didn't play their 2nd in a row as they were in Calgary after Edmonton.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
That's a stretch, but I do want Nurse to stay. I'm okay with him being the 7th Dman though, with him sharing a top 4 spot with Davidson until one really stands out above the other. Nurse overall has been better than Davidson imo but Davidson was really great in the second half of last game.

I definitely want to see Reinhart draw in, and I really liked the Reinhart-Gryba pairing. I also wouldn't blame McLellan if he didn't want to have an all rookie pairing, even if it's the bottom pairing.

I'm not. Nurse should stay, but if they are going to relegate him to 7th Dman, I'd rather him be anchoring the D in Bakersfield.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Watching the Van-Philly game it honestly looks like McDavid/Hall should be able to just walk the entire philly defence all night. With last change the Oiler's speed should have no problems at all. A whole stack of pylons, especially Manning, he had to have gotten beat 3 or 4 times wide so far. Giroux is pretty good though.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Watching the Van-Philly game it honestly looks like McDavid/Hall should be able to just walk the entire philly defence all night. With last change the Oiler's speed should have no problems at all. A whole stack of pylons, especially Manning, he had to have gotten beat 3 or 4 times wide so far. Giroux is pretty good though.

Watching the lowly Flames, the Oilers should have walked all over them too. Instead, the goaltender decided not to show up and we ferenced up that game.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Watching the lowly Flames, the Oilers should have walked all over them too. Instead, the goaltender decided not to show up and we ferenced up that game.

We also came out flat at the start of the game when we should have had fireworks shooting out of our ***es. Until this team smells blood in the water, and leaps on opponents, you can't ever really rely on them to wallop anyone.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Nervous about this game. Teams just feast on the Oilers on the second game of a back-to-back coming off a loss. It's like they get all fired up and want to prove something, while the Oilers are just content to sleepwalk through another one.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oil came out flat and they ended flat vs the Flames as well... outshot 10-4 in the 3rd. I think some gloss over that since Talbot stunk it up and gave the game away late... BUT how does a team have only 4 shots in the 3rd period on home ice vs a crappy team that's playing 5 games in 7 nights... the lack of fire/determination this team puts up from game to game is atrocious.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
We also came out flat at the start of the game when we should have had fireworks shooting out of our ***es. Until this team smells blood in the water, and leaps on opponents, you can't ever really rely on them to wallop anyone.

For the past 5 years, we've blamed that on coaching.

What now?

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Oil came out flat and they ended flat vs the Flames as well... outshot 10-4 in the 3rd. I think some gloss over that since Talbot stunk it up and gave the game away late... BUT how does a team have only 4 shots in the 3rd period on home ice vs a crappy team that's playing 5 games in 7 nights... the lack of fire/determination this team puts up from game to game is atrocious.

Very true. Likely the area that needs the most improvement this year. If we start checking boxes like this one we are well on our way, if not same old same old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad