Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
Reactions: Go Wings

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I still want a legit checking 3c. Been saying it all summer. Now with Couts knee injury if it became serious at all, G has to move back to C and kill penalties. Or we pray Laughton steps up.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
This. I know the quote is coming from Hextall himself, but the players arent the issue. Its 100% the system, or rather, lack thereof.

Yes and no. Lappy sucks, and they have some terrific defensive forwards...

...the problem is, their 2 best defensive forwards are both on the first line, gobbling up minutes at even strength and on the power play. Simmonds has tailed but he had a decent 2-way game and used to see more shorthanded shifts, but he's another guy you'd rather have playing on the opposite side of the red line. Depth guys like Raffl and Laughton are dudes who can kinda do the job, but they're by no means defensive mavens. As much as people complained about Bellemare, he was a serviceable 4th line center and PKer whose fancy stats improved noticeably when he was beamed up to a well-coached team. I'm as glad as anyone that Filpulla's gone, but in the very least he was a center with some hockey sense who won more than half of his faceoffs and skated faster than Lehtera.

Moving Giroux to the wing and allowing Couturier to become 1C was great for the team and for Couturier himself, but it creates a vacuum in their depth...they really don't have the players you expect for 3C and 4C. I shake my head at the hope of Frost making the team next year to fill a bottom 6 center role, because that doesn't seem good for his development or for the team's success. They really do need a decent faceoff/PK center down there to plug it up for a year or two and keep Giroux and Couturier from having to go win every shorthanded faceoff, and to let the young guys develop correctly.

So yes, the system's bad, but they don't necessarily have the right players for any system in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruckuss

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
My suggestion....

to Philly:
- Michael Frolik
to Calgary:
- 3rd in 2019 (PHI)
- 3rd in 2019 (NJD)
We don't need wingers. It would need to be a C.

Giroux Couts Konecny
JVR Patrick Voracek
Lindblom ??? Simmonds

Raffl, Weal, Laughton, Weise, Lehtera, Leier are the other guys signed.

Unless Frost makes the team as the #3 C, the Flyers need a C for this coming season unless they plan on Weal being a 1 year stopgap. Only option in the AHL is really Vorobyev.

So please offer a C, not a winger.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
We don't need wingers. It would need to be a C.

Giroux Couts Konecny
JVR Patrick Voracek
Lindblom ??? Simmonds

Raffl, Weal, Laughton, Weise, Lehtera, Leier are the other guys signed.

Unless Frost makes the team as the #3 C, the Flyers need a C for this coming season unless they plan on Weal being a 1 year stopgap. Only option in the AHL is really Vorobyev.

So please offer a C, not a winger.
whoever of par lindholm/Fredrick gauthier doesnt make the leafs you can have for a 3rd?

Lindholm idk about and gaut is an average skating 6'5 dude that only knows defense.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
whoever of par lindholm/Fredrick gauthier doesnt make the leafs you can have for a 3rd?

Lindholm idk about and gaut is an average skating 6'5 dude that only knows defense.
Neither one is better than what we have and certainly can't be a #3 C this coming year.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The Canucks have too, too many good pkers on their roster, so we would likely give someone up cheap. Beagle coming in has made Sutter expendable as a penalty killer, but we have others too. Center, left or right wing?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Funny that we could just stick Giroux back at C for this year, and the C issue would be fixed.

Then let guys like Raffl battle it out for the LW spot on the 3rd line.

And then the following year, artist steps into the C spot and Giroux go back to wing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Canucks have too, too many good pkers on their roster, so we would likely give someone up cheap. Beagle coming in has made Sutter expendable as a penalty killer, but we have others too. Center, left or right wing?
Sutter has too much term and costs too much.

1 year stopgap at C is what is needed.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Sutter has too much term and costs too much.

1 year stopgap at C is what is needed.

Guess what, chicken butt? Granlund or Gaunce could be had for less. Both have played wing for us, but we have a lot of natural centers, and both were drafted as such.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Guess what, chicken butt? Granlund or Gaunce could be had for less. Both have played wing for us, but we have a lot of natural centers, and both were drafted as such.
They can't be the #3 C. That's what we need.

Laughton can fill the #4 spot without issue.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Brandon Sutter is not going anywhere,,,but you can have loui eriksson for a bag of peanuts,,hes pretty good at penalty killing,,l

The Canucks should be doing everything they can to convince Sutter to waive his NTC.

He’s a depth/role player making more money than that role warrants.

And that contract is only going to get harder to move.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I don’t mind providing stats either.

He was voted by your board at 70% to be your 4th line winger to begin next season.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/your-habs-2018-19-line-up-as-voted-by-you.2526313/

Saw that this guy quoted a HFboards user poll with 10 votes as a stat and laughed. That's like quoting a Yahoo answer for legal advice.

I'm not the person you're quoting, and I'm not a Habs fan, but there's no way Byron is the 4th line RW. He's a very good player.

Reactions: ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad