Flyers name Alain Vigneault head coach

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Its like scouts/head scouts,asst gm's, GMs, etc.. Once they get in, they are good to go for a very long time.. May get thrown all over the league to different teams but for some reason most teams just hire the recycled guys even if they are the horrible ones

Yup, it's the same at any job though. How many mediocre-as-hell people in every business are just there because they've been there?

Situation for the Flyers was a bit difficult and I was pretty confident that they'd make this hire. The team has lost a lot of luster, leaguewide and locally, over the last 5+ years. They've been boring and painfully mediocre. They could risk another unproven college or AHL coach, and he could succeed and renew the team and they could be hailed as heroes and whatever. But if he fails, they've absolutely sunken their brand for the next few years and wasted even more of Giroux's prime.

Or they could hire a known quantity with a track record, who will almost certainly take them back to the playoffs and get the buzz back up. It's an obvious decision, to the point that it's barely a decision at all.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So many clueless fans. The guy has taken his past 2 teams to the Cup final and you have people acting like he’s the worst coach in the league.

He’s pretty good and was probably the best option.

Reactions: bl02 and Flyrs21

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good guy to hire if you're either a contender or want to get there like they do.

TBH tho, who else was really available?

& LOL to all the Flyers fans here telling us months ago that they were going to get Q :laugh: :naughty:

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
AV is a good coach, philly has talent and will use them wise.

Be warned Flyers fan, as good as AV is he does have downfalls..

Also Philly, if there’s some scrub bottom 6/bottom pairing player he starts using time after time...we call that his Aaron Rome/Tanner Glass
Every coach has them. Hakstol also had them and none of those guys are in the nhl anymore. Lol

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
He's not a terrible coach but his "turn the other cheek and don't stick up for each other" attitude is going to infuriate philly fans

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's not a terrible coach but his "turn the other cheek and don't stick up for each other" attitude is going to infuriate philly fans
Canucks roster that Gillis assembled didn’t have those types of hard nosed players.

Who does Philly have to push back? That philosophy only makes sense if you have a deadly PP. otherwise, you’d better push back.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Probably the best coach left available. Brought both his teams to the finals. Definitely an upgrade over what the Flyers previously had by a large margin.

So with AV now being hired by Philly, who is left for EDM? Yeo? Bylsma?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I like this move by the Flyers a lot. This is great for AV as well. He's a very good coach and a real stand up dude.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Probably the best coach left available. Brought both his teams to the finals. Definitely an upgrade over what the Flyers previously had by a large margin.

So with AV now being hired by Philly, who is left for EDM? Yeo? Bylsma?

Oilers and Sabres don't have any decent veteran options left . It has to be an assistant , a college coach or an AHL coach . I mean there's allways Randy Carlyle but i don't think even the Sabres and Oilers are desperate enough to try that one.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So many clueless fans. The guy has taken his past 2 teams to the Cup final and you have people acting like he’s the worst coach in the league.

Watch for the narrative if he gets the Flyers into the playoffs it surely will be because of something else and not his doing. I've never seen a coach vilified as much as he has been and I've seen some shitty coaches in hockey.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Watch for the narrative if he gets the Flyers into the playoffs it surely will be because of something else and not his doing. I've never seen a coach vilified as much as he has been and I've seen some ****ty coaches in hockey.

All Hart and Giroux. Vigneault actively prevented Ghost from scoring 100 points this year, though.

Reactions: bl02

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
The hyperbole over this is insane. He’s not amazing. He’s not terrible. He’s a decent coach, and that means he’s better than we’ve had in some time.

Reactions: bl02

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Good coach, and among one of the best Vancouver ever had. I think he'll be a good fit on a relatively young Flyers team in need of direction.

People forget how good a coach/player was because of their recent history. Look at Torts. He was awful in Vancouver. Why? Because his style just wasn't going to work with the players we had. Put him with a more defensive minded team and he's currently kicking Tampa's ass on the way to a sweep.

AV fizzled out on the Rangers but pretty much turned the Canucks into one of the most dominate teams in years. The guy certainly deserves another chance to prove himself.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
You will like him for the first 2-3 years.

Every bad thing a Canucks/Rangers fan will tell you about him will come true in due time. He should do a very good job in the beginning, though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's my thing with AV. It's not that he's always wrong. It's what happens when he's wrong.

Most coaches will be wrong and try something else.

AV would press a button that accidentally nukes half of civilization, tell you "I pressed the right button, it's your fault you f***ing died" and then press the button again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad