Flyers name Alain Vigneault head coach

serp

Jan 17, 2016
it is, but with non cap moves, it's the term, not the money that matters here.

They only turfed Hakstol with 1 1/2 years left on his deal.

I'd expect AV to be the coach for at least the next 3 seasons barring a disaster

AV was also the best veteran coach that was still left to hire. Philly sort of need to entice him to actually sign. He probably had options to chose from outside of Philly.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
AV was also the best veteran coach that was still left to hire. Philly sort of need to entice him to actually sign. He probably had options to chose from outside of Philly.

Oh of course the money matters to him. If he gets fired in say 3 years, the flyers would care more about the term left to pay him vs the actual money owed since they can afford it

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It can be both. You can have legitimate complaints that also turn into absolute fatal flaws if you spend enough time in an HF echo chamber (every team board here). You can also correctly identify some major problems while minimizing or ignoring context or other positives. Not everything is black-and-white, but on the internet, it is.

From the outside, I was usually pretty impressed with how good the Rangers were with how messy their roster was. Fans tend to overvalue their decent players and undervalue everything else. The Rangers from that era were infuriating and outside of the crease there wasn't really a star player in the whole roster. A bunch of very good ones, no doubt, but those teams were always the sum of those parts.

Failure to make adjustments in the playoffs can be very frustrating, particularly in the later rounds. Failure to make the playoffs at all when you have a Claude Giroux on your team is even more frustrating. We'll burn that other bridge when we get to it.
That's reasonable and very different than thinking everyone who has issues with him is an armchair GM who doesn't know what they're talking about.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
AV is a good coach, philly has talent and will use them wise.

Be warned Flyers fan, as good as AV is he does have downfalls..

Also Philly, if there’s some scrub bottom 6/bottom pairing player he starts using time after time...we call that his Aaron Rome/Tanner Glass

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
That's reasonable and very different than thinking everyone who has issues with him is an armchair GM who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Not at all. Everyone on here is an armchair GM. Most armchair GMs aren't reasonable or nuanced in their thinking at all, whatsoever. It's either PREPARE FOR UTTER DOMINATION or THE SKY IS FALLING. So I'm perfectly comfortable discounting like 85% of internet commentary, in either direction, because it's almost all overly emotional or a total regurgitation of whatever the most prolific and angriest posters on their respective board have been screaming.

Everyone thinks they're right, the vast majority are just cloud-shoutin'. I always welcome good critiques, but you've gotta evaluate where everyone's coming from.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
5X5 is a lot of coin. AV is definitely an experienced head coach. I wouldn’t have predicted that as a great fit but it may be just what the flyers need. Definitely better than Hakstol

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
A good AV team will have to get stellar goaltending, which has been Phillys Achilles heel for years...here’s hoping that Carter Hart is the Luongo/Lundqvist for him.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Every player on the Rangers roster progressively got worse each and every year under AV.

Kreider, Miller, McDonagh, Hayes, Nash, Stepan, Zuccarello, etc.

I don't know. I'll take your word for it since you see them every game but the guys you listed really don't seem to have any drastic difference in production as time went on under AV. Nash maybe but he was on the wrong side of 30 and that's just a typical decline and even he had arguably his best season in the second year under AV.

These are the points in years from 2014 to 2018. Almost all of them were essentially the same in year one as they were in year 5.

Kreider
37 (in 66), 46, 43, 53, 37 (in 58)

Stepan
57, 55 (in 68), 53 (in 72), 55, 56

Miller
6 (in 30), 23 (in 58), 43, 56, 58

Hayes
DNP, 45, 36, 49, 44

Zucc
59, 49, 61, 59, 53

McDonagh
43, 33 (in 71), 34 (in 73), 42, 29 (in 63)

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
5X5 is a lot of coin. AV is definitely an experienced head coach. I wouldn’t have predicted that as a great fit but it may be just what the flyers need. Definitely better than Hakstol
Flyers need a coach who can move hem from middle of the pack to upper tier. AV can do that. Whether he can then push them to the top of the top end group we shall see.

Hextall stocked the cupboard. It’s now time for those prospects to start making the roster.

See how AV handles the kids coming up like Meyers, Frost, Farabee, etc. As well as the likes of Patrick, Provorov, Sanheim, etc

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This won't end well

Most of them don't. Only one guy wins it every year. Most of these coaches will be fired again in a year.

Flyers tried going the NCAA route. Didn't work. If you want experience, picking AV isn't the worst choice you can make...

I mean you could technically hire Randy Carlyle.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not really a big AV fan but who else out there would of been better? Quenneville made his choice. McLellan is worse. Like the Fletcher hire it's not going to blow you away. Going with another HC out of the NCAA would of been a huge risk. I actually think the way he coaches is a decent fit for the roster the Flyers have, they have some quite mobile young Dmen, a good mix of vets and youth with their forwards, and some alright role players. They have a lot of talent, and AV has proven he can do some good things with talent. They need to be stretching it out. He does suck at protecting a lead so I guess nothing changes there for Philly.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I like it.. He will get u guys far into the playoffs as usual.

Great hiring

I do however always get a kick out of how coaches always just get recycled around the league to different teams.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
5 years. I wonder if owners factor in how many years they'll likely be paying a terminated coach when pondering term?

I suppose Comcast can afford it in this case.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
This might hurt the Kings and their attempt at signing McLellan. That deal would be the highest coaching contract we've ever signed if we gave that to McLellan. Damn you Philly!

P.S. As long as it is, I think he will do well in Philly.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I like it.. He will get u guys far into the playoffs as usual.

Great hiring

I do however always get a kick out of how coaches always just get recycled around the league to different teams.

It's kind of like players, always going to other teams and stuff when their old teams don't want them. Why don't teams just go hire some other NHL players from elsewhere?

It is funny, but coaching 23 young millionaires through 82 games of the fastest sport on earth isn't necessarily something that a lot of people can do, so it's entirely unsurprising that, once someone has demonstrated the ability to do it competently once, he'll get two or three or four more tries at it.

Reactions: CanuckCity

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Best coach the Canucks ever had. Good luck with him Flyers fans

Reactions: Ori

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's kind of like players, always going to other teams and stuff when their old teams don't want them. Why don't teams just go hire some other NHL players from elsewhere?

It is funny, but coaching 23 young millionaires through 82 games of the fastest sport on earth isn't necessarily something that a lot of people can do, so it's entirely unsurprising that, once someone has demonstrated the ability to do it competently once, he'll get two or three or four more tries at it.

Its like scouts/head scouts,asst gm's, GMs, etc.. Once they get in, they are good to go for a very long time.. May get thrown all over the league to different teams but for some reason most teams just hire the recycled guys even if they are the horrible ones

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad