Flyers name Alain Vigneault head coach

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
AV has a solid playoff track record, especially with NYR. Not a bad hire, and certainly far better than a random NCAA coach.

As a Pens I'm not too thrilled.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
AV loves being in the defensive zone. He does that because his entire offense is predicated on the rush. You can't rush off of a cycle.

I mean, that's fine when it's working; it's the inability to offer any sort of alternate gameplan. AV's teams will literally not cycle. They just won't. I've seen the Rangers dump and change lines on any play that isn't an odd man rush when they have a lead.

I remember Canuck teams cycling quite a bit.

Reactions: deckercky

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
News flash. Winning the Cup is hard. So its AVs fault the Rangers lost to a better team in the Cup Final. Zero responsibility on the players. All AV.
At least try and act like you don’t have a bias against the best coach you had since Keenan

I guess Bruins fans were biased against the best GM they had since Harry Sinden when they tried to warn Oilers fans about hiring Chiarelli

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Honest question because I don’t know, what’s bad about him?

He has literally zero ability to adapt. If he has a talented roster, he will win some games. But the second there is a change required, he goes ghost. He's as good as the parts you give him and will never, ever elevate a team. He's so bad at adapting to changes that, if anything, he'll make a team slightly worse after a season or two. His inability to think for himself and do anything outside of what he is used to is actually impressive. He'll roll out the same combos again and again (and the same plays again and again) until he's been beaten over the head and bloodied by the lack of effectiveness. And he'll then keep going.

He's not a good coach.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
AV has a solid playoff track record, especially with NYR. Not a bad hire, and certainly far better than a random NCAA coach.

As a Pens I'm not too thrilled.

The Rangers hired a "random NCAA coach" and he's been lightyears better at actually coaching than AV. I can't think of a single player that AV got more out of than he should. We saw Torts get more out of guys. We saw Renney get more out of guys. We saw Keenan get more out of guys. AV? Not at all. No one tried harder for him. No underskilled players upped their games for him and became better players.

Players regressed fast under him, frankly. Some guys may get sick of someone like Torts, but at least he got more out of role players than AV ever could.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Can't wait till he takes a far superior flyers lineup to the cup. While he is lifting it over his head, we will hear all those echoes of Rangers fans, struggling to find the excuses they grasp on so delicately.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Can't wait till he takes a far superior flyers lineup to the cup. While he is lifting it over his head, we will hear all those echoes of Rangers fans, struggling to find the excuses they grasp on so delicately.
Lol they ended with 4 more points than NYR and the Rangers were literally tearing the team down.

AV's just not very good. I have no bitterness against him except that he sucked at his job for the last few years.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Big fan of the salt and pepper hair and 5'oclock shadow! Good look for him.

Expect slow starts to the games. Seems related to AV's 'let the players lead themselves in practice, play whistle to whistle, and keep a cool head,' style of play.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The Rangers hired a "random NCAA coach" and he's been lightyears better at actually coaching than AV. I can't think of a single player that AV got more out of than he should. We saw Torts get more out of guys. We saw Renney get more out of guys. We saw Keenan get more out of guys. AV? Not at all. No one tried harder for him. No underskilled players upped their games for him and became better players.

Players regressed fast under him, frankly. Some guys may get sick of someone like Torts, but at least he got more out of role players than AV ever could.
Youre right, what a horrible coach. He only took the Rangers to the Stanley Cup Final in his first season and then set the franchise record for points in a season the following year.

Flyers arent looking for immediate success though who wants that

Reactions: Hivemind

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Youre right, what a horrible coach. He only took the Rangers to the Stanley Cup Final in his first season and then set the franchise record for points in a season the following year.

He was a fantastic coach in his first season with the Rangers, then completely lost it. He was absolutely horrendous his last few years here and I'd argue was the sole reason the Rangers didn't make it to the finals again after 2014.

He is a terrible coach. He has absolutely no ability to adapt. And he randomly becomes obsessed with lesser players who have no business getting the minutes they do. Philly fans will tire of him quickly.

AV has benefited greatly from taking over two teams who had 2 of the best goalies of this generation. Without them, he would have been out of the league long ago. Luongo and Lundqvist have made his career and without a franchise goalie, he will falter again, just like he did in Montreal.

Reactions: Machinehead

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

I can think of one guy actually. Grabner had a career year under AV, that system was basically built for him. As for the rest? Well, the GM actually blew up the team and gave away really good players on a firesale. Vigneault and his useless system was so bad, the franchise was actually fooled into believing they had to tear the team down and rebuild from scratch.

Imagine Vigneault's system with Philly's goaltending. This is going to be good, enjoy allowing the most quality scoring chances of all teams in the league, with weak goaltending, Philly fans. I hope all your D-men (and defensive forwards) can skate like the wind, read the play like masterminds and have gap control like gods. Otherwise they will look like fools.

Vigneault was so arrogant, he actually blamed the goaltending and the players, as no fault could lie in his system or his coaching, as to why the team struggled so greatly. His system cascade vomiting quality scoring chances to the other team had apparently nothing to do with all the embarrassing losses. He looked in disbelief when he was informed he was going to be fired. I wonder if he was the real reason why the franchise went into a rebuild, he convinced the GM the NYR core was useless. It wasn't, but Vigneault was.

I'm still baffled another NHL team would pay Vigneault $5m/y to tear down yet another team. I thought he was done for.

Last edited:

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
NY fans still chiming in, we get it - AV was the real reason you didn't win much after his first season.

He is an upgrade for us (a rather large one at that), and the roster and cap situation we have is much more favourable (and based on your feedback, appropriate for his flawed system). Top shelf goalie prospect (who already gets excessive quality shots against), young and upcoming D corps, above average scoring depth with star talent.. If we can add a piece or two, we are in business.

We didn't land Q, but we did get one of the best options available.. Time will tell, but I feel much better today vs last year as to where we are headed.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
NY fans still chiming in, we get it - AV was the real reason you didn't win much after his first season.

He is an upgrade for us (a rather large one at that), and the roster and cap situation we have is much more favourable (and based on your feedback, appropriate for his flawed system). Top shelf goalie prospect (who already gets excessive quality shots against), young and upcoming D corps, above average scoring depth with star talent.. If we can add a piece or two, we are in business.

We didn't land Q, but we did get one of the best options available.. Time will tell, but I feel much better today vs last year as to where we are headed.

He's not. And I'm thankful you guys grabbed him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I take it you are a casual Devils fan who doesn't watch anyone except for his own team.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
He's not. And I'm thankful you guys grabbed him.

yes he is. you don't know much about Dave Hakstol do you? whatever AV is in Philly, he'll be far better than Hakstol.

the whiny Rags fans in here are hilarious. we get it, you don't like him. we don't care. get over it and move on.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
AV is an amazing coach but the Flyers roster is so middle class I'm not sure what they are doing... whats the second wave behind Giroux Couts Voracek??? Konency AV will love not sure about Patrick... they need more than that to be competitive in the metro. Carter Hart has to be elite as well.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
if he was so terrible for the Rangers, why was he there so long lol

the Rangers have no star power other than an aging Lundqvist, I blame their lack of success on that... terrible cap management doesn't help

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
AV is an amazing coach but the Flyers roster is so middle class I'm not sure what they are doing... whats the second wave behind Giroux Couts Voracek??? Konency AV will love not sure about Patrick... they need more than that to be competitive in the metro. Carter Hart has to be elite as well.

The second wave, this year, is JVR, Konecny, and Patrick (though G/Couts/Jake haven't been paired together much over the past year and a half; TK's the 1RW); in future years, add Frost and Farabee.

Oh, and Provorov/Ghost/Sanheim/Myers on D.

And Hart, as you mentioned.

And, once we account for our RFA resignings (Provorov/Sanheim/Konecny/Hartman/Laughton/Bailey), probably something in the $10-15M range to add a couple impact FAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad