Flyers name Alain Vigneault head coach

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
NY fans still chiming in, we get it - AV was the real reason you didn't win much after his first season.

He is an upgrade for us (a rather large one at that), and the roster and cap situation we have is much more favourable (and based on your feedback, appropriate for his flawed system). Top shelf goalie prospect (who already gets excessive quality shots against), young and upcoming D corps, above average scoring depth with star talent.. If we can add a piece or two, we are in business.

We didn't land Q, but we did get one of the best options available.. Time will tell, but I feel much better today vs last year as to where we are headed.

That young d corp will watch games from the press box in favor of a journeyman defenseman who will make mistake after mistake, you will slam your head against a wall and just wonder why? What is going on? Is there something happening that I dont understand? That is life with AV. And when it inevitably happens, remember this post.

Reactions: JoeMurphysSkates

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
That young d corp will watch games from the press box in favor of a journeyman defenseman who will make mistake after mistake, you will slam your head against a wall and just wonder why? What is going on? Is there something happening that I dont understand? That is life with AV. And when it inevitably happens, remember this post.
giphy.gif

Reactions: romba

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
if he was so terrible for the Rangers, why was he there so long lol

the Rangers have no star power other than an aging Lundqvist, I blame their lack of success on that... terrible cap management doesn't help

You mean hadnt any starpower, but a really good performing team 2013 when they went to SC final!
Lundy has hurt Rangers chances many seasons to draft high, when he dragged them to the playoffs.

I think they rebuild pretty quick and i would say that Dj- Mika are a star, looked very consistent this season.

Chytil, kravtsov, hajek and a goalie prospect in shesterhin, , but it doesnt hurt to pick high a couple of years more.

Vigneault was the best left on the market in my opinion if you dont take a chance on a unwritten page. Kings drilled in stone big time when they hired Mclellan, more stubborn coach doesnt exist, he also must be a top 3 candidate for worst game coach in the Nhl.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
You mean hadnt any starpower, but a really good performing team 2013 when they went to SC final!
Lundy has hurt Rangers chances many seasons to draft high, when he dragged them to the playoffs.

I think they rebuild pretty quick and i would say that Dj- Mika are a star, looked very consistent this season.

Chytil, kravtsov, hajek and a goalie prospect in shesterhin, , but it doesnt hurt to pick high a couple of years more.

Vigneault was the best left on the market in my opinion if you dont take a chance on a unwritten page. Kings drilled in stone big time when they hired Mclellan, more stubborn coach doesnt exist, he also must be a top 3 candidate for worst game coach in the Nhl.
the Rangers have so much star power, what a great season they just had.... and that cap space... $9 million going into next year with one of the worst forward lineups and nothing on defense.... and Lundqvist is at the end of the tunnel..signed at $8.5 million... not good
at least Sather finally quit, I give you that...

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
the Rangers have so much star power, what a great season they just had.... and that cap space... $9 million going into next year with one of the worst forward lineups and nothing on defense.... and Lundqvist is at the end on the tunnel..signed at $8.5 million... not good

And Devils was worse in the standings, LOL! Where did i say that they have starpower?? But wrong thread for own agendas! /Cheers

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
the Rangers have so much star power, what a great season they just had.... and that cap space... $9 million going into next year with one of the worst forward lineups and nothing on defense.... and Lundqvist is at the end on the tunnel..signed at $8.5 million... not good

I dont think anyones arguing that the Rangers had anywhere close to a good lineup. I wouldnt say we have “nothing” up front or on d. I mean Chris Kreider is our oldest forward at 27 years old...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
how come the Rangers look like complete **** since AV left?

...that doesn't make sense
Probably because they gave away McDonagh and J.T. Miller for free basically, got not replacement for Nash and traded Grabner. Then the firesale of Hayes and Zuccarello this year, all gone. That's six core players gone and not replaced, that might have something to do with it. Girardi was bought out. He's in a steep decline, but the NYR defense trying to play Vigneault's system was horrific to watch, it barely looked like they could play hockey. Especially Girardi and Staal suffered greatly from it, as they can't skate like the wind, more of the opposite.

They still played better hockey with this butchered team than Vigneault managed them to do before the butchering began. One of the revelations the new coach implemented was to play his best players more than the scrubs. Vigneault loves playing his favourite scrubs, a lot.

Philly fans will soon see what it means when Vigneault coaches. I'll give it a love affair of one season, then the criticism will pour in. Perhaps not even that if they quickly get up to speed how Vigneault wants to "defend". Or the screams why Giroux and those kind of guys are on the bench, while chasing a lead, while the scrubs are the ones to apparently get the equalizer.

You'll see.

Last edited:

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
how come the Rangers look like complete **** since AV left?

...that doesn't make sense

Is this a serious analysis? The Rangers traded away like half their team and purposefully tanked this year.

This is what AV had and what Quinn doesnt:

Nash
Grabner
Miller
Hayes
Zucc
McDonagh

That's literally 5 of their top 6 offensive players and their #1 D-Man.

AV was not a good coach for the Rangers. He was good in his first year and that was it. You can be optimistic going in and AV might impress you in his first year, but you'll see his true colors shortly thereafter.

A lot of the conversations in here were identical to the ones we had with fans from Vancouver after he was hired and you know what, everything they said turned out true (despite many of us arguing with them at the offset).

I also still like a lot of the Rangers ex-coaches, so I don't think it has anything to do with grudges. It's just that he was not a good coach. Plain and simple.

Reactions: BHD

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

This was literally the Hakstol-era, only with the added bonus of Hagg inexplicably getting played over guys the same age who were much better hockey players. Apparently, he was a journeyman from the moment he stepped into the league.

The silver lining here is that the Flyers don't really have any journeyman defenseman to play over the young D (well, aside from Hagg). A-Mac fell to 8th on the depth chart under Gordon, so Gudas & Ghost are now the vets.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
so AV in Vancouver, gets them to the playoffs... and to the finals. They fire him... and then they "purposefully tanked" for the next 7 years?

in NY, AV brings the Rangers to the playoffs and to the finals, the most success they've had in 25 years... they fire him... and now they will "purposefully tank" for the foreseeable future?

news flash, there was no "purposefully tanking"... you guys just suck...

AV has had success everywhere he's coached and there's no doubt in my mind he'll help improve Philly... and when he gets them into the playoffs... alot of people are going to look stupid

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just a reminder who the Flyers DID have coaching.

Hakstol played Sanheim the 7th most toi/game this year for Dmen. Hagg played more. AMac played more. Folin played more when dressed.

Once Hakstol was fired, Sanheim was top 10 in ES scoring for Dmen from Dec 17th onward.

It can't get worse than what we had, even if AV has his flaws. And for all his flaws, he made the playoffs 9 out of 10 years averaging 102 points and got to the SCF 2 times. Not bad for a flawed coach.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
so AV in Vancouver, gets them to the playoffs... and to the finals. They fire him... and then they "purposefully tanked" for the next 7 years?

in NY, AV brings the Rangers to the playoffs and to the finals, the most success they've had in 25 years... they fire him... and now they will "purposefully tank" for the foreseeable future?

AV has had success everywhere he's coached and there's no doubt in my mind he'll help improve Philly... and when he gets them into the playoffs... alot of people are going to look stupid

AV isn't AS bad as some fans point out (to me anyway), but he also clearly has some fatal flaws that are indeed true, and why I wanted him gone a long time ago.

He'll likely get them into the playoffs and maybe even potentially deeper into there, that isn't the issue.

And you clearly haven't read the posts, the Rangers sold off a lot of their core players after AV left. That's why they mainly suck(ed) now.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Probably because they gave away McDonagh and J.T. Miller for free basically, got not replacement for Nash and traded Grabner. Then the firesale of Hayes and Zuccarello this year, all gone. That's six core players gone and not replaced, that might have something to do with it. Girardi was bought out. He's in a steep decline, but the NYR defense trying to play Vigneault's system was horrific to watch, it barely looked like they could play hockey. Especially Girardi and Staal suffered greatly from it, as they can't skate like the wind, more of the opposite.

They still played better hockey with this butchered team than Vigneault managed them to do before the butchering began. One of the revelations the new coach implemented was to play his best players more than the scrubs. Vigneault loves playing his favourite scrubs, a lot.

Philly fans will soon see what it means when Vigneault coaches. I'll give it a love affair of one season, then the criticism will pour in. Perhaps not even that if they quickly get up to speed how Vigneault wants to "defend". Or the screams why Giroux and those kind of guys are on the bench, while chasing a lead, while the scrubs are the ones to apparently get the equalizer.

You'll see.
I'm just curious, what scrub players did AV overplay? I know people always reference Glass but he played like 10 minutes a game which is essentially the same as every other team and coach he's played for. I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to see what kind of players fans think he overplayed because sometimes it seems that people think top line guys should be out there for 30 minutes a game and 4th liners shouldn't see more than a shift or two a period. We had the same complaints with Hakstol and I feel like that's kind of the complain with a lot of coaches right now.

Last edited:

EEDAWGZ

Feb 14, 2010
Queens,NY
I’m sure flyer fans will be thrilled when guys start getting benched for sticking up for teammates and showing any signs of physicality

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA

Best coach the Canucks ever had.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Listen, stop trying to p*** on our parade y'all.

There's nothing you can say that can convince us that AV is worse than Dave Hakstol and Scott Gordon. It's just not worth the effort.

Reactions: NinjaKick

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I still do not understand the argument here, seems like Canucks and Rangers fans are bitter...no one here says that AV is Scottie Bowman; he is simply a upgrade over Hakstol which makes us better.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This is where AV makes most sense. It's for the most part a win/compete now roster and thats where AV excells at. This was the best landing spot for him . If Flyers can't make anything happen with AV as a coach that core needs to be broken up.

I think this is fair. If it still doesn’t go well it’s the players and not all of these coaches. It’s a nice test to see if they are actually a good team. The core players know that.

They have an entire D Corp of young but good dmen. Hagg is the only variable here and he hopefully will be traded. Fletcher mentioned that young D he wanted to see playing well in AV system and Hagg was not one of them.

Is this a serious analysis? The Rangers traded away like half their team and purposefully tanked this year.

This is what AV had and what Quinn doesnt:

Nash
Grabner
Miller
Hayes
Zucc
McDonagh

That's literally 5 of their top 6 offensive players and their #1 D-Man.

AV was not a good coach for the Rangers. He was good in his first year and that was it. You can be optimistic going in and AV might impress you in his first year, but you'll see his true colors shortly thereafter.

A lot of the conversations in here were identical to the ones we had with fans from Vancouver after he was hired and you know what, everything they said turned out true (despite many of us arguing with them at the offset).

I also still like a lot of the Rangers ex-coaches, so I don't think it has anything to do with grudges. It's just that he was not a good coach. Plain and simple.

Plain and simple, the ranger never had that good a team. That’s a pretty bad top 6. They have no elite level player. The flyers have one of the better top 6s in the league. With a guy like frost and adding a 2C they could have a very good 12 forward group. Their D is young and very promising. They are also are looking to add there. And one of the most promising young goalies in the league. Another major difference here is the young talent coming in. The rangers had none. They didn’t even have a forst rounder for awhile. Its not unusual to have things go south in 3 years with contracts increasing and no cheap young talent.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I’m sure flyer fans will be thrilled when guys start getting benched for sticking up for teammates and showing any signs of physicality
Who did that happen to? I keep asking for examples of things AV did and I get zero answers. I was told that a bunch of guys regressed from year to year under AV but the stats don't back it up and I go no response. I asked what scrubs were getting more ice time than the teams best players. Silence. I'm not saying I don't believe Rangers fans on their assessment of AV but whenever I ask for examples or to back up claims I get nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad