Flyers name Alain Vigneault head coach

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
After the Kaapo Kakko experience when the hockey gods smiled upon us Rangers at the lottery - u know how I feel about wonderkid Ødegaard since I was active in soccer for 9 years. :)

Yeah I wish it was training camp already and October - it will be an exciting new season for the Rangers. ;)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Because it plays into the trend of rapidly ballooning coaching salaries ever since Babcock's contract with Toronto. Makes it harder for mid-tier markets to land top coaches and leads to situations where guys like Barry Trotz are allowed to walk after winning a Cup.

But it can't be helped. Who cares.

The salary does not matter when deciding if it was a good signing for the Philadelphia Flyers. We've got Comcast money and the Coyotes aren't trying to sign him -- it just doesn't matter in this thread.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
That's too bad for those markets that coaches are now finally getting paid what they are worth in relative terms to players...

Because it plays into the trend of rapidly ballooning coaching salaries ever since Babcock's contract with Toronto. Makes it harder for mid-tier markets to land top coaches and leads to situations where guys like Barry Trotz are allowed to walk after winning a Cup.

Tank To Win

Apr 8, 2010
Northampton, Pa

Your statement might make a little more sense if the Florida Panthers didn't sign Joel Quenneville just over a week ago.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
As you will find out for yourself very shortly, it's pointless to have your team go that far and literally not be able to ever close the deal.

Enjoy!

News flash. Winning the Cup is hard. So its AVs fault the Rangers lost to a better team in the Cup Final. Zero responsibility on the players. All AV.
At least try and act like you don’t have a bias against the best coach you had since Keenan

Reactions: Brownies and Voight

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
News flash. Winning the Cup is hard. So its AVs fault the Rangers lost to a better team in the Cup Final. Zero responsibility on the players. All AV.
At least try and act like you don’t have a bias against the best coach you had since Keenan
It's not AV's fault we lost. It's AV's fault we lost in 5 games. That was embarrassing for us and he had everything to do with it.

Tank To Win

Apr 8, 2010
Northampton, Pa
They had to pay Q $26.25M for that to happen. That's certainly going to come out of their hockey ops budget.

And they made the choice to do that. It's a business. That's what happens. Would you prefer a coaches salary cap, or is it really not a bad thing for someone to go after as much money as they can get on the free market?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
And they made the choice to do that. It's a business. That's what happens. Would you prefer a coaches salary cap, or is it really not a bad thing for someone to go after as much money as they can get on the free market?
I just lamented that Vigneault (and Quinn) were overpaid compared to their peers with more accolades, and that the inflation in coaching salaries is going to have (and already has) a negative impact on the ability of some franchises to hire/retain preferred coaches. Pointing this out isn't blaming the individual for getting the money they can.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not AV's fault we lost. It's AV's fault we lost in 5 games. That was embarrassing for us and he had everything to do with it.
I believe Kreider has a pair of great chances to score in the OT games but couldn’t. It was just that close for the rangers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I believe Kreider has a pair of great chances to score in the OT games but couldn’t. It was just that close for the rangers.
Those games never should have been in overtime.

AV going into a 0-5 when he has the lead has blown up his face time and time again, and it will continue to do so in Philly because he's never wrong.

Tank To Win

Apr 8, 2010
Northampton, Pa
I just lamented that Vigneault (and Quinn) were overpaid compared to their peers with more accolades, and that the inflation in coaching salaries is going to have (and already has) a negative impact on the ability of some franchises to hire/retain preferred coaches. Pointing this out isn't blaming the individual for getting the money they can.

You claimed that mid-tier franchises will have a difficult time signing big name coaches. I replied with the Panthers recent signing of Q, who, is obviously the big fish in this summer's free agent coaching market. You respond with the dollar amount that they are "forced" to pay him. I really can't ever remember an owner of an NHL team coming out saying that they lost a coach, or couldn't sign a coach because the price was too high.

Sep 18, 2009
flyers should hire that cheap shot scott stevens as gm and make philly great again center city baby

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I really can't ever remember an owner of an NHL team coming out saying that they lost a coach, or couldn't sign a coach because the price was too high.
Washington Capitals this past summer. They weren't willing to commit to paying Trotz for five more years (which would bring his total tenure in DC to nine years).

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I noticed that some of AV's former NYR players are now in Tampa Bay tearing it up against Columbus. :sarcasm:

I mean did the players have any part in these playoff losses that are seemingly only the responsibility of AV in New York?

Tank To Win

Apr 8, 2010
Northampton, Pa
Washington Capitals this past summer. They weren't willing to commit to paying Trotz for five more years (which would bring his total tenure in DC to nine years).

And that was a stipulation in the contract that BOTH sides agreed on. But I understand....why would the Capitals extend the contract of the first, and only coach that has ever brought them a Stanley Cup? Like I said before...It's just business.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I believe that was the year where Talbot and Hank split starts. I can see the Flyers resigning Talbot now since Vigneault is familiar with him
It was twice, CamBot played 36 games during 2014-15, and Antti Raanta played 55 games between 2015-17. Talbot’s first 2 seasons in Edmonton were solid, then it really started dropping. Raanta has obviously been excellent in Arizona. And Georgiev this year was an awesome surprise, all things considered.

The Rangers were also scoring a billion goals during Talbot’s seasons, so credit where it’s due.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
And that was a stipulation in the contract that BOTH sides agreed on. But I understand....why would the Capitals extend the contract of the first, and only coach that has ever brought them a Stanley Cup? Like I said before...It's just business.
No, the automatic extension was only for 2 years at less than $2M. Trotz was the one who didn't want that extension to kick in (justifiably so, given the meteoric rise in coaching wages since Babcock's deal). The Capitals honored his request to terminate the contract rather than having the automatic extension kick in, but would not agree to give him the five year deal he was seeking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad