Speculation: Flyers interested in Ryan O'Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Price Check:

What IS the price for a 55-point well rounded 2c who's overpaid by 1.5 million and has said "he has lost the love of the game?"

Nico Hischier? Nolan Patrick? Ivan Provorov? Zach Werenski? Kyle Connor? Travis Konecny? None of the above?

You just aren't prepared to pay the premium for an Olympic-tier center. How many Hockey Canada players do the Flyers have again? Let me tell ya, 0!

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
And yet many of the offers I've seen are the equivalent of "You can't have the prince, the duke, or even the three counts or their servants. We would give you a couple of peasants for him, with the chance of picking another peasant next year!"

The Sabres do not have to move him, and there is no proof they are even trying to do so.

That's fine; ROR is pretty overrated. I'd be comfortable betting on all of Sanheim, Konecny, Patrick, and Provorov individually providing more on ice value than ROR next season.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Konecny? Seriously? Konecny scored 24 goals making one million (not even)... How many goals ROR scored?
How many face offs did Konecny win? How many shut down against top line minutes did Konecny eat?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
And yet many of the offers I've seen are the equivalent of "You can't have the prince, the duke, or even the three counts or their servants. We would give you a couple of peasants for him, with the chance of picking another peasant next year!"

The Sabres do not have to move him, and there is no proof they are even trying to do so.
Exactly!

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Why would Philly spend assets for another 2 way top 6 C when they already have Couturier?? Add Patrick and Frost and they're set at C for years to come.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
That's fine; ROR is pretty overrated. I'd be comfortable betting on all of Sanheim, Konecny, Patrick, and Provorov individually providing more on ice value than ROR next season.
Perfect then. No deal to be had here.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
ROR was top 20 in on-ice value added this season. Keep dreaming.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
How many face offs did Konecny win? How many shut down against top line minutes did Konecny eat?
Konecny is a wing and does not need to take faceoffs. Pretty sure Flyers is a top faceoff team in NHL. Couturier can shut down against top line with the best of them.

Edit: Top 3 in faceoffs.

Reactions: Alchemy

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
O'Reilly is a very nice player and isn't overrated on the ice... but has become overrated when it comes to some outlandish trade proposals. Provorov/Patrick/Konecny for ROR?? :laugh:

I could, however, see a deal like...

TO PHI
- O'Reilly
- Ristolainen

TO BUF
- Simmonds
- Lindblom
- Laughton
- Sanheim

Then the Flyers address the wing position at 14 and 19.

The Sabres have Mittelstadt who can step in and be the 2nd line center. They could use the boost on the wings in Simmonds and Lindblom. Sanheim might be more suited for Housley's style than Ristolainen, and the Flyers want a RH defenseman.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Over the past three seasons, only 4 centers have averaged 0.7 pts/gp and won 55%+ of their faceoffs:

Giroux
Bergeron
O'Reilly
Toews

Botterill isn't going to trade O'Reilly for a handful of magic beans.

There will have to be a piece or two coming back that causes the GM that is making the trade for O'Reilly to swallow hard before pulling the trigger.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Oreilly is an awesome player and underrated if anything.
I am constantly left scratching my head wondering if <50% of posters even watch hockey. And every prospect is valued at what said prospect has around a 20% chance of actually being.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why would Philly spend assets for another 2 way top 6 C when they already have Couturier?? Add Patrick and Frost and they're set at C for years to come.

With Giroux and Couts, I don't see why the Flyers would be interested in O'Reilly, either.

The other rumored suitors like Montreal and Carolina make more sense when looking at their center depth, or lack thereof.

Reactions: olli

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I am constantly left scratching my head wondering if <50% of posters even watch hockey. And every prospect is valued at what said prospect has around a 20% chance of actually being.
yeah its crazy really LOL. Oreilly is a dog worker that does everything well. its not just about points. Love him on the flyers.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
O'Reilly is a very nice player and isn't overrated on the ice... but has become overrated when it comes to some outlandish trade proposals. Provorov/Patrick/Konecny for ROR?? :laugh:

I could, however, see a deal like...

TO PHI
- O'Reilly
- Ristolainen

TO BUF
- Simmonds
- Lindblom
- Laughton
- Sanheim

Then the Flyers address the wing position at 14 and 19.

The Sabres have Mittelstadt who can step in and be the 2nd line center. They could use the boost on the wings in Simmonds and Lindblom. Sanheim might be more suited for Housley's style than Ristolainen, and the Flyers want a RH defenseman.
Take out ROR and Risto on Buffalo's side and Simmonds, Lindblom, Laughton. Sanheim on Philly's.

Start from scratch is what I'm saying.

Reactions: Curufinwe

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Over the past three seasons, only 4 centers have averaged 0.7 pts/gp and won 55%+ of their faceoffs:

Giroux
Bergeron
O'Reilly
Toews

Botterill isn't going to trade O'Reilly for a handful of magic beans.

There will have to be a piece or two coming back that causes the GM that is making the trade for O'Reilly to swallow hard before pulling the trigger.

Sure, but I think it's fairly obvious that Patrick and Provorov have more trade value individually than ROR

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
I think I'd rather have the Flyers target Bozak in UFA. Not too big of a step behind ROR and roughly $3 MM cheaper.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Sabres fans are well within their rights to ask for a Konecny + package. I certainly wouldnt pay that, but ROR is a fabulous player and has good value.

I think they should hold onto him for at least 2
more years to take the tough minutes away from their young forwards. He’ll still have value in two years to a contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad