Rumor: Flyers interested in Luongo?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
If anything I could see

Philly: Gardiner, Ballard/Tanev
Toronto: Lou
Vancouver: Read, Grossman

Vancouver gets secondary scoring and grit on the blue line.
Toronto gets Lou without giving up any offense, which they don't have extra.
Philly gets a young puck mover with a lot of potential and a third pairing dmen. Tanev would be better but I would think Vancouver would throw in Ballard as a salary dump instead.

I find this deal interesting from a Vancouver POV. Not sure if Toronto would be up for it, but Read and Grossman are useful pieces for Van. Could any Philly fans give a bit more of a scouting report on Read? I know he is a good two way player and PKer, but is he more of a shooter or a passer? Did he play centre much, and how effectively? I imagine he isn't very physical due to his size?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
Told the flyers only were willing to swap Bryzgalov + for Luongo.

This is pretty hard to believe unless you think GMs just troll each other for s**ts and giggles. Obviously Van has Schneider and would not be interested in Byrz coming back. IMO this casts further doubt on Eklund's original post about Philly not being interested in Luongo.

FlyLife

Nuthin but a G Thang
May 23, 2008
Livin the High Life
I find this deal interesting from a Vancouver POV. Not sure if Toronto would be up for it, but Read and Grossman are useful pieces for Van. Could any Philly fans give a bit more of a scouting report on Read? I know he is a good two way player and PKer, but is he more of a shooter or a passer? Did he play centre much, and how effectively? I imagine he isn't very physical due to his size?

His best assets are his speed, wrist shot and overall awareness. Because of that, he is a good PK like you said, and is solid defensively. He only filled in at times at C because of the depth we have, and I don't think his faceoff numbers are all that great, but that can be worked on. He's not Schenn out there, but he throws some hits around.

If we did trade him away I'd be sad, he was a fantastic under the radar signing that turned out to be a gem. He is a very versatile forward, so it would hurt bigtime if someone got hurt.

As for that deal, I'd pass. Gardiner isn't even healthy right now, and on a short season you need to win games, and you need to win them fast. The fact that it was a concussion a month ago makes it even scarier on a short season. Ballard/Tanev don't really interest me much personally, especially if they are supposed to replace Grossman, who last year made up our best pairing with Coburn. Flyers need to add right now, not subtract.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
McKenzi stated during tonights pre-game show that he believes Luongo will be coming to Philly if Bryz flops this year.

well mckenzie's a moron. their both the same goalie. their both good but if we got rid of bryz it would be because of his contract. luongo's is a bigger nightmare for an older goalie with bigger mental issues. he aint comin back from handing the bruins the cup. i can smell the loser comin off him from here.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
well mckenzie's a moron. their both the same goalie. their both good but if we got rid of bryz it would be because of his contract. luongo's is a bigger nightmare for an older goalie with bigger mental issues. he aint comin back from handing the bruins the cup. i can smell the loser comin off him from here.

Sorry I had to.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
I don't see how Vancouver can trade him - if he retires at any point during the rest of the contract they'd get crushed by that silly cap recapture rule. They really have to bite the bullet, keep him this season and then buy him out.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
One word..Why? Bryz has this season to prove himself or else he will be brought out. Not to hard to figure that out.

I'd actually say he's proven himself outside of October and December of last yeaer

eCg72qa.png

His stats outside of those two months and april since he was hurt, his stat line is :

2.11 GAA and a .924 Sv Pct

Edit : And I know people got angry with it before, but with Bryz the starter and not worrying about a backup taking his spot, he does best. More ice time means a more consistent bryz

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd actually say he's proven himself outside of October and December of last yeaer

eCg72qa.png

His stats outside of those two months and april since he was hurt, his stat line is :

2.11 GAA and a .924 Sv Pct

You're forgetting another important stat line for a team owned by a man who badly wants one more Cup:

3.46 GAA .887%

Edit: Let's also not forget he's signed for a long time considering his age. If he shows more disastrous inconsistency, he can still easily be bought out just to save this team from the future implications and substantial risk of his contract

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
You're forgetting another important stat line for a team owned by a man who badly wants one more Cup:

3.46 GAA .887%
Could you do a better job with a broken foot and hurt hip?

Bryz probably shouldn't have started in the playoffs since it was still obviously bothering him. But we had no one to play.

Bob? Yeah, let's give him another mental breakdown.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Could you do a better job with a broken foot and hurt hip?

Bryz probably shouldn't have started in the playoffs since it was still obviously bothering him. But we had no one to play.

Bob? Yeah, let's give him another mental breakdown.

Did he also have a stroke? Because he also struggled mightily with tracking the puck and being in proper position, even on shots where he didn't need lots of lateral movement.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure why it matters if I can do a better job. What matters is Bryz showing some form of consistency in the regular and postseason (which, if you look at his stats and performances, he has not shown recently), instead of being another MAF we have signed forever and mostly for his expected decline years.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Did he also have a stroke? Because he also struggled mightily with tracking the puck and being in proper position, even on shots where he didn't need lots of lateral movement.

Let me hit you in the hip with a hammer and then break your foot and let's see if you have problems moving around with all that weight on you :laugh:

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey

Edit: Also, I'm not sure why it matters if I can do a better job. What matters is Bryz showing some form of consistency in the regular and postseason (which, if you look at his stats and performances, he has not shown recently), instead of being another MAF we have signed forever and mostly for his expected decline years.

He showed consistence from January until the end of the year...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Let me hit you in the hip with a hammer and then break your foot and let's see if you have problems moving around with all that weight on you :laugh:

Oh please. I have hip and knee issues that used to require various treatments, ranging from rehab to ultrasound voodoo. They didn't affect me mentally. His mental game was most definitely shot to hell. He was making sloppy, sloppy mistakes and bad decisions.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He showed consistence from January until the end of the year...

Not really. Look back at the box scores, and use your memory. In January and February he looked shaky on the ice and he had quite a few bad starts peppered in. He'd start to look better for a couple games, then he'd collapse for a game or two. It wasn't until March that he showed real confidence. January and February were marked by incredible fluctuations from really good to downright terrible.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
His mental game was shot to hell because this city is a goalie graveyard. It's been so long since we've had a good goaltender and now almost everyone, including the media, automatically blames the goaltender for any goal. Hell, look at the idiots in the GDT blaming him for the losses the last 3 games.

If you had millions of fans booing you constantly and going out of their way on twitter to tell you that you suck, you'd have no confidence either.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
His mental game was shot to hell because this city is a goalie graveyard. It's been so long since we've had a good goaltender and now almost everyone, including the media, automatically blames the goaltender for any goal. Hell, look at the idiots in the GDT blaming him for the losses the last 3 games.

If you had millions of fans booing you constantly and going out of their way on twitter to tell you that you suck, you'd have no confidence either.

He wasn't getting booed when he started sucking. That's the thing. This fanbase really wanted him to be good, and they really wanted to pull for him. He had plenty of support until his continued poor play eroded it away. It's not like he had one bad game and was a dog. He had about a month of inconsistent play where he costed the team games before people got nice and pissed.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
He wasn't getting booed when he started sucking. That's the thing. This fanbase really wanted him to be good, and they really wanted to pull for him. He had plenty of support until his continued poor play eroded it away. It's not like he had one bad game and was a dog. He had about a month of inconsistent play where he costed the team games before people got nice and pissed.

What about the times he had great games only to get the loss because the forwards didn't show up?

That 1-0 shootout loss to the islanders was one of the big ones

There's probably a few others as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad