Rumor: Flyers interested in Luongo?

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Seriously? I've been nothing but respectful and polite in a discussion involving several prominent players from my favourite club.

I don't think Edler will be traded at the deadline. Just like Ehrhoff, the Canucks will keep him for the playoff run. Perhaps Gillis will manage to resign him.

I don't think he was talking about you. He was just giving a generalization of posters going on another team's forum and being a clown

Scottrockztheworld*

How is trading for him ensuring it?

You're just giving up assets for a player who can walk in 6 months.

Well if its a slam dunk that giving him all the cash he wants will retain him then trading for him & being able to re-sign him before he hits UFA is ensuring it. You'll have 6 months to sign him. :dunno:

I'm just wondering because I see everyone say they will throw Edler large amounts of money & that will get him. Apparently all he cares about is getting a pay day in HF's opinion. So if you CAN pay him & have the rights to negotiate with him before... why isn't that a slam dunk?

Oh god now that poster has me using slam dunk when taking about hockey! :laugh: Go 76'ers?:sarcasm:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
25 goals. 50 pts. 800k a yr. For next 3 yrs. AND defensively responsible to boot.

You really think that isnt 'good value'?

I agree. It isnt 'good value'. It's studendous value.

Read's shooting % was fairly high, not sure if that's sustainable for him. Looks like he spent a ton of time with Jagr and a bit with Hartnell and Briere, he won't have that sort of quality linemates on the Canucks 2nd line. And he'd be moving to a tighter conference.

I'm not sold on him, although admittedly I didn't watch a ton of Flyers games last year. More importantly though, our GM has specifically stated he wanted to get bigger - and then went out and picked up Kassian to prove it. He doesn't really fit our team needs.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Read's shooting % was fairly high, not sure if that's sustainable for him. Looks like he spent a ton of time with Jagr and a bit with Hartnell and Briere, he won't have that sort of quality linemates on the Canucks 2nd line. And he'd be moving to a tighter conference.

I'm not sold on him, although admittedly I didn't watch a ton of Flyers games last year. More importantly though, our GM has specifically stated he wanted to get bigger - and then went out and picked up Kassian to prove it. He doesn't really fit our team needs.

His line mates :

Frequency
Strength
Line Combination
14.67%
EV
48 BRIERE,DANIEL - 24 READ,MATT - 17 SIMMONDS,WAYNE
7.63%
SH
14 COUTURIER,SEAN - 24 READ,MATT
6.95%
EV
24 READ,MATT - 27 TALBOT,MAXIME - 93 VORACEK,JAKUB
6.71%
EV
24 READ,MATT - 10 SCHENN,BRAYDEN - 17 SIMMONDS,WAYNE
3.49%
EV
14 COUTURIER,SEAN - 24 READ,MATT - 17 SIMMONDS,WAYNE
2.94%
EV
14 COUTURIER,SEAN - 19 HARTNELL,SCOTT - 24 READ,MATT
2.92%
EV
28 GIROUX,CLAUDE - 19 HARTNELL,SCOTT - 24 READ,MATT
2.81%
EV
48 BRIERE,DANIEL - 68 JAGR,JAROMIR - 24 READ,MATT
2.59%
EV
24 READ,MATT - 21 VAN RIEMSDYK,JAMES - 93 VORACEK,JAKUB
2.14%
EV
24 READ,MATT - 93 VORACEK,JAKUB - 47 WELLWOOD,ERIC

edit : And he was averaging 17:04 in ice time which was 12th among the skaters and averaged 2:31 of shorthanded time on ice. It's not he's some scrub being carried by his linemates

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
With the cap going down I'd prefer to keep Read:

Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (3.75) - Voracek (4.25)
Simmonds (3.98) - Schenn (3.11~) - Read (0.90)
Talbot (1.75) - Couturier (1.38~) - Wellwood (0.80*)
Rinaldo (0.60*) - Laughton (1.14~) - Cousins (0.93~)
Sestito (0.60*) - Zolnierczyk (0.60*)

Coburn (4.50) - Edler (5.50*)
Grossmann (3.50) - Schenn (3.60)
Meszaros (4.00) - Gustafsson (0.90*)
Gervais (0.83)

Bryzgalov (5.67)
Leighton (0.90*)

AMNESTY: Briere (6.50)

~ denotes ELC.
* denotes new SPC.

TOTAL HIT: 57.94
SALARY CAP: 64.30
CAP SPACE: 06.35
BONUS CUSHION: 02.94
SPACE AFTER CUSHION: 09.29

Basically we can have the roster above plus Briere and still be fine. (Thank you bonus cushion!)

Or even send a $6m offer on a one-year deal to convince Timonen to play on the third pairing ~~~now exiting dream scenario.~~~

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Chris, surely you can't be serious...

Holmgren would never leave the team with 9.29m left in cap room!

Haha, Homer does love to spend money but seriously the Flyers would need that space the next season. If possible they'd be wise to not spend so much. Who am I kidding, he'll probably re-sign Shelley and Leighton at higher salaries.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Chris, surely you can't be serious...

Holmgren would never leave the team with 9.29m left in cap room!

Far more likely scenario?

Timonen retires, we don't use our amnesty buyouts, and Edler costs a little more.

Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (3.75) - Voracek (4.25)
Simmonds (3.98) - Briere (6.50) - Read (0.90)
Talbot (1.75) - Couturier (1.38~) - Schenn (3.11~)
Rinaldo (0.60*) - Laughton (1.14~) - Wellwood (0.80*)
Sestito (0.60*)

Coburn (4.50) - Edler (6.00*)
Grossmann (3.50) - Schenn (3.60)
Meszaros (4.00) - Gustafsson (0.90*)
Gervais (0.83)

Bryzgalov (5.67)
Leighton (0.90*)

TOTAL HIT: 63.41
SALARY CAP: 64.30
CAP SPACE: 00.89
BONUS CUSHION: 02.87
SPACE AFTER CUSHION: 03.76

Then the next year he 'amnesty's Briere to pay for our forwards' raises.

toughfighter83*

not to be off topic but i think briere should play winger he's just as small as read, he get's killed as center you dont think maybe he's better off as winger? maybe that's why he struggles.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
not to be off topic but i think briere should play winger he's just as small as read, he get's killed as center you dont think maybe he's better off as winger? maybe that's why he struggles.

Maybe he struggles because if he doesnt score goals he has no other game... When he struggles he gets frustrated... When he gets frustrated he gets cute with his stick in an opponents face... You see where this is going?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Maybe he struggles because if he doesnt score goals he has no other game... When he struggles he gets frustrated... When he gets frustrated he gets cute with his stick in an opponents face... You see where this is going?

I'm with TF83 on this one. Briere played some wing in Germany and although it was a lower league, he did well. Or maybe someone else could take over center duties on defense or something.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I'm with TF83 on this one. Briere played some wing in Germany and although it was a lower league, he did well. Or maybe someone else could take over center duties on defense or something.

I agree too.

The only reason we moved him back from wing to the middle during the Richards/Carter era was because he was producing at a pace for 60-70 in the middle and around 50~ on the wing.

I think if he's producing around 50 in the middle, we can move him back to the wing. Like Giroux's he's more effective offensively in the middle, but we can't afford his defensive inabilities when we can get a potential 50 points out of him on the wing as well as a decent production from either BSchenn or Coots manning the dot.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.800m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.500m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Michael Leighton ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m) / (NaN)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,958,611; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $11,946,389

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009

I agree too.

The only reason we moved him back from wing to the middle during the Richards/Carter era was because he was producing at a pace for 60-70 in the middle and around 50~ on the wing.

I think if he's producing around 50 in the middle, we can move him back to the wing. Like Giroux's he's more effective offensively in the middle, but we can't afford his defensive inabilities when we can get a potential 50 points out of him on the wing as well as a decent production from either BSchenn or Coots manning the dot.

I'm looking at more than what position will be mildly successful for DB. The cap is going down, and at a 6.5 million cap hit, I don't see how Briere is really a benefit to the club (cap hit vs. production) when he needs to be shuffled around in an effort to hide his terrible D.

C or W, Briere gets frustrated when he doesn't score goals and takes bad penalties. Put him wherever you would like, it does not mitigate his cap hit.

I really like Danny and I hope he makes me eat my words this (shortened) season.

Slowbro

Feb 19, 2008
New Jersey
until the flyers make the playoffs and Briere is the undisputed team MVP for them

its a sick cycle here. hate briere during the offseason, love him in the playoffs.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
until the flyers make the playoffs and Briere is the undisputed team MVP for them

its a sick cycle here. hate briere during the offseason, love him in the playoffs.

I've never been one of the people to whom you are referring.

However, it will soon we time to face facts.

1. We have defensively sound centers who we expect to be reaching similar offensive production in the near future.

2. We know that Briere is still effective and can continue to be effective on the wing even if not as productive.

3. We know Briere is getting older.

4. We know Briere makes a lot of money, and we will need a lot of money to re-sign Giroux, Couturier, and BSchenn in the near future.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.800m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.500m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Michael Leighton ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m) / (NaN)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,958,611; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $11,946,389

The cap next year is 64.30m not 70.20m. Basically we're losing the entirety of cap used to pay Briere right out of the gate.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I've never been one of the people to whom you are referring.

However, it will soon we time to face facts.

1. We have defensively sound centers who we expect to be reaching similar offensive production in the near future.

2. We know that Briere is still effective and can continue to be effective on the wing even if not as productive.

3. We know Briere is getting older.

4. We know Briere makes a lot of money, and we will need a lot of money to re-sign Giroux, Couturier, and BSchenn in the near future.

The cap next year is 64.30m not 70.20m. Basically we're losing the entirety of cap used to pay Briere right out of the gate.

Yea and even with Briere and adding a 5.5 million dollar dman to the roster we still have almost 6 million in cap space. Also meszaros is a ufa when we have to resign the holy trinity. We have a buyout that offseason as well we don't have to immediately rid ourselves of him

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Exactly. Every single Flyers beat guy has said their sources all say this isnt true.

Just because they have been told it's not true doesn't mean a thing. If there is truth to the rumour, why would Homer say anything to them? He's been known to lie and lie and lie in the past and in this case, he absolutely has to lie because there isn't even a CBA yet. Does anyone really think he's going to tell the press that he's going after Luongo, a guy who's under contract to another team?

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Just because they have been told it's not true doesn't mean a thing. If there is truth to the rumour, why would Homer say anything to them? He's been known to lie and lie and lie in the past and in this case, he absolutely has to lie because there isn't even a CBA yet. Does anyone really think he's going to tell the press that he's going after Luongo, a guy who's under contract to another team?

No, but his reaction was a little more than that in this case. He actually laughed it off as if it were so absurd as to have even been discussed. If there was anything to it, a simple "There's nothing in the works right now, but we'll look at a bunch of options to improve our roster once the CBA is officially approved" would suffice in not allowing to look stupid should there be any possibility of a Lu deal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In regards as to whether or not it's a real rumor, it's happened enough times where the national people got around the local guys to get the story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad