Flyers "Flight Plan": New Behind the Scenes Series

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
It really is uncanny how much Morin looks like Pronger on the ice. If he becomes half that player, I will gobble up my crow.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think its a bit of a stretch to assume that just because a scout/player is tough or likes tough players they cannot be intelligent too ? Sounds like some kind of judgmental nonsense from some liberal encounter group to me.Toughness is a Flyers trademark and it puts a$$es in the seats which is what pro sports is all about when you look at the big picture.

Certainly, a player can be both physical and intelligent. A thing that stuck with me from the pre-draft (unofficial) interviews with Morin is that both he and a teammate alluded to him "losing his mind" when he gets into a fight. That hinted at some lack of control / discipline. That may be only a small, small fraction of what Morin brings to the ice, but it still served as a red flag when everyone was an option for the Flyers to choose.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Even if Morin's offense never comes around, if he can be as good defensively as Pronger was, or at least close to it, I'll love this pick. If Hagg and/or Ghost turn out to be quality point producing NHL d men, then Morin's lack of offense will be easier to deal with.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Even if Morin's offense never comes around, if he can be as good defensively as Pronger was, or at least close to it, I'll love this pick. If Hagg and/or Ghost turn out to be quality point producing NHL d men, then Morin's lack of offense will be easier to deal with.

Gustafsson - Schenn
Hagg - Morin
Gostisbehere - Manning
Lauridsen

That's a pretty solid top 7 defensive prospect grouping all pretty significantly under 25.

I think we have an awesome core building on the blueline, and I'm content with it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Anthony SanFilippo just answered a fans question about whether or not there will be a rookie's game this year, he said it will be in DC but didn't say if it would be in their training complex or if they'll make the move into the Verizon Center like we did at the WFC two years ago.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Gustafsson - Schenn
Hagg - Morin
Gostisbehere - Manning
Lauridsen

That's a pretty solid top 7 defensive prospect grouping all pretty significantly under 25.

I think we have an awesome core building on the blueline, and I'm content with it.

Too many lefties. I would be disappointed if we weren't able to acquire an impact RHD by the time all those guys are ready to play.

He's listed as 6'6" 205 lbs. right now, he might be 6'7" 245-250 lbs. when all is said & done.

I doubt he ever gets that heavy. He doesn't really have the frame to carry that much weight effectively (he's got narrow shoulders for a tall guy). I think if he gets to 230 and keeps his movement skills, that's a win. I imagine he'll settle somewhere in between Pronger and Tyler Myers size wise. 250 is Gil, Chara, Oleksiak territory. Those are naturally big guys and none really comes close to moving like Morin (Oleksiak is close I guess, haven't seen too much of him in person).

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Too many lefties. I would be disappointed if we weren't able to acquire an impact RHD by the time all those guys are ready to play.

I doubt he ever gets that heavy. He doesn't really have the frame to carry that much weight effectively (he's got narrow shoulders for a tall guy). I think if he gets to 230 and keeps his movement skills, that's a win. I imagine he'll settle somewhere in between Pronger and Tyler Myers size wise. 250 is Gil, Chara, Oleksiak territory. Those are naturally big guys and none really comes close to moving like Morin (Oleksiak is close I guess, haven't seen too much of him in person).
Re: Righties, yes, it would be nice to acquire one, but it's not easy.

This was Chris' list:

Gustafsson - Schenn
Hagg - Morin
Gostisbehere - Manning
Lauridsen

But in the system there are some righties:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Alt and Willcox seem like realistic potential NHL prospects to join Luke Schenn, who is going to be here awhile.

Hostetter, Lamarche Luukko are longer shots who are RHS.

In terms of Morin's weight, it's way to early to spectulate on his eventual size. He just turned 18. He's only a kid.

I remember seeing Pronger in a bar in Toronto one summer. He'd just been traded from Hartford to St.Louis (looked it up - 1995, he hadn't turned 21 yet), and I could not believe how skinny he looked in a golf shirt and shorts. My friend and I were saying 'this beanpole is one of the toughest players in the NHL?'

Pronger is currently listed at 220 and so are Coburn and Lauridsen. Morin's already listed at 202.

By the time Morin's 25, he's going to be plenty strong to go with all his other attributes.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
He's listed as 6'6" 205 lbs. right now, he might be 6'7" 245-250 lbs. when all is said & done.

If I recall from one of my old hockey cards, Chris Pronger was around 6'3", 195 when he joined the Whalers. Certainly may have been off, or might have been a draft day/camp listing, but that's an impressive growth in itself. Wouldn't mind another inch or two on Morin, to go along with an extra 15-25 lbs.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Morin said he needs to add weight this summer. He is currently 210 pounds but would like to get to 230 or even 240, noting that he's "always growing."
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/20130701_Choosing_Morin_a_motion_for_the_defense.html

It looks like you're right but he's saying he's 210 lbs. He should get to 230 lbs. by the time he's out of Juniors (assuming he spends the next two years there).

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I did not know Morin finished first in the Wingate test at the combine (and 5th on VO2).

Rimouski defenseman Samuel Morin had the highest peak power output on the Wingate Ergometer bike test, measuring 15.8 watts per kilogram of body weight.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=18183

Interestingly enough, Mirco Mueller finished first on VO2. I wonder if that had something to do with the Flyers interest in him as well.

With his incredible raw athleticism and meteoric development this season, it's really not hard to understand why the Flyers felt that Morin has one of the highest ceilings in the draft. I'm extremely interested to see where he stands next season with a larger role in Rimouski.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Re: Righties, yes, it would be nice to acquire one, but it's not easy.

This was Chris' list:

Gustafsson - Schenn
Hagg - Morin
Gostisbehere - Manning
Lauridsen

But in the system there are some righties:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Alt and Willcox seem like realistic potential NHL prospects to join Luke Schenn, who is going to be here awhile.

Hostetter, Lamarche Luukko are longer shots who are RHS.

Those guys project as bottom pairing defenseman- if that. We've seen over the years how lacking a RHD has held this defense back. Forcing lefties to play the off side is a bigger task than most realize. Is it hard to balance out righties and lefties, yeah, but it would nice to have a RHD that can play in the top 4 in addition to Schenn. It seems like a lot of the talented young defenders in this league are right handed (Jones, Piety, Shattenkirk, Trouba, Bogo, Subban, Doughty, Carlson, Karlsson, etc.), it would certainly be nice to have one. :D

In terms of Morin's weight, it's way to early to spectulate on his eventual size. He just turned 18. He's only a kid.

I remember seeing Pronger in a bar in Toronto one summer. He'd just been traded from Hartford to St.Louis (looked it up - 1995, he hadn't turned 21 yet), and I could not believe how skinny he looked in a golf shirt and shorts. My friend and I were saying 'this beanpole is one of the toughest players in the NHL?'

Pronger is currently listed at 220 and so are Coburn and Lauridsen. Morin's already listed at 202.

By the time Morin's 25, he's going to be plenty strong to go with all his other attributes.

No one's arguing whether the kid will be strong enough to play at this level. I'm not really worried at all. My only assessment was he doesn't really have the broad shoulders to add 50 pounds of good weight like someone suggested. And honestly I don't want him that heavy. Only a handful of guys can pull it off. Morin's biggest asset is that he's a big guy that can move. You can only add so much weight before it starts to affect aspects of your game (Luke Schenn). I said I see him ending up between Pronger and Myers which would be 220-230 probably the higher end of that range.

Last edited:

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Gustafsson - Schenn
Hagg - Morin
Gostisbehere - Manning
Lauridsen

Unless Gus morphs into an actual Timonen clone instead of just a poor man's version of him, that first pairing does not excite me too much. Also I like Schenn as much as the next guy but I think it's pretty clear that his peak is solid top 4 defensive d-man. That's not necessarily a bad thing but his upside his pretty limited.

Honestly they've done a good job putting together a group of solid but limited upside guys combined with a few lottery tickets (like Morin and Gost) in the absence of any realistic opportunity to draft or trade for a #1 guy, but it's more intriguing than exciting.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
i hope they will show Homer talking to other GM about some trades, that would be cool to see

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
i hope they will show Homer talking to other GM about some trades, that would be cool to see

No way they show them talking about players on the roster (i.e. Coburn) though. I'm dying to know what he was talking with MacTavish about for so long.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
No way they show them talking about players on the roster (i.e. Coburn) though. I'm dying to know what he was talking with MacTavish about for so long.

Homer: Bro I can't believe you didn't wear a helment.

MacTavish: Dude, I was all, "screw helments, what am I, a *****?"

Homer: LOL!

P0W3R 5E2G3

Jul 9, 2013
Senamensing, NJ
Certainly, a player can be both physical and intelligent. A thing that stuck with me from the pre-draft (unofficial) interviews with Morin is that both he and a teammate alluded to him "losing his mind" when he gets into a fight. That hinted at some lack of control / discipline. That may be only a small, small fraction of what Morin brings to the ice, but it still served as a red flag when everyone was an option for the Flyers to choose.

The first person that comes to mind for an intelligent enforcer is George Parros. Princeton graduate with a boss mustache. Boom.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
saw that they had morin in first priority.

7ao3.png

nq3r.png

that's definitely Morin

i would guess they ranked him around 16-23

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
in today's episode we should expect Buffalo calling Homer and offering their 1st+2nd for our 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad