Flyers' Draft Day Recap (part 4)

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Why do you think he has a low ceiling? He had a better ppg than Dal Colle, Virtanen, Ritchie. He has the best points per 60 out of draft eligible forwards and was second to Bennet in even strength points per 60. He'd be in the top 10 if he was a little bigger.

In fact, his point per game is the same as Giroux's was in his draft year. I'm not saying he will be that good because point per game players in the NHL do not grow on trees, but I think he has a fairly high ceiling.

Fabbri played on an absolute monster of a team. His numbers might be inflated a bit. Personally, I think he is a very interesting player but don't like his frame. It doesn't strike me as one that can naturally put on weight. On the other hand, Sanheim will be quite a nice size when it is said and done.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
In case others have yet to see this comment from Bob McKenzie:

Take a bow, PHI. Tremendous NHL draft weekend. Crowd/atmosphere/energy for 1st rd was best I can remember. Been at every draft since 1982.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Bob Rotruck ‏@BobRotruck 2m

AUDIO - Chris Pryor. This is the best stuff on the kids who were drafted this weekend. Gives specifics on each player
http://chirb.it/h5NerP

Bob Rotruck ‏@BobRotruck 2m

AUDIO: Ron Hextall impressions of the draft-class and the weekend overall.
http://chirb.it/mBhKks

Bob Rotruck ‏@BobRotruck 3m

AUDIO - Paul Holmgren comments on the 2014 Draft.
http://chirb.it/3cFx7I
I loved hearing Paul Holmgren talk about how awesome the Flyers fans were. It was great rewatching the event on TV cause I was at the draft and it was just such an awesome time.

We booed Bettman every time he went near a microphone. Booing for 3 solid minutes must be some sort of record. I don't think I heard a single thing he said the whole time. Same with Tocchet. I realized after a second that it was Tocchet but I was already booing pretty hard and he's with the Penguins now.

By the same token, it felt just as touching as you could see it was touching for Brind A'mour when we got to cheer for him. He is one of my favorite Flyers of all time and it was so cool to see him again.

I hope he makes the Hockey Hall of Fame cause he deserves it. (Maybe after Recchi)

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
My daughter had a blast at the draft - I'm not sure why she liked it so much, but she wanted to stay for the whole first round and the entire 2nd -7th rounds.

We got to see Keith Primeau kicked out of his seat not once, but twice. I felt bad for him. I don't think the people knew who he was. I'm not really sure why he wasn't sitting in his official seat, but the people kicked him out when they still had plenty of seats around.

I really wanted Kapanen, not because I didn't like Sanheim, but I am really sure Kapanen will be a decent player and I know we need wings. Once we passed on him, I knew he was going to Pittsburgh which I really hate.

Anyone know why the Penguins dealt James Neal, or better yet, why they didn't seem to get much in return? It didn't seem like the Penguins got a lot in that deal.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Anybody notice how the Flyers last three 1st round picks have all been risers? And how they all participated in the U-18 tourney where they all played well?

Flyers definitely scout that tourney part hard, and must place a lot of importance in it.

-Laughton: Was seen as a early 2nd/mid 2nd round pick until his offense ticked up in the 2nd half of the year and played well at the U-18 tourney.

-Morin: Had a good playoff series and played well at the U-18 tourney.

-Sanheim: Skyrocketed up the rankings because of his 2nd half on Calgary and he was one of Canada's best players in the U-18 tourney.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I also like this draft so much more than last years. I don't think the last four players they picked from the '13 draft will ever make the NHL. And if they do they won't be regulars/solid contributors.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
I also like this draft so much more than last years. I don't think the last four players they picked from the '13 draft will ever make the NHL. And if they do they won't be regulars/solid contributors.

I also wasn't a big fan of last year's draft. After the draft, I had posted my list of picks according to my draft list, which were:

11) Max Domi (7th on my draft list - went 12th overall; Wennberg and Morrissey were my next two BPA, ranked 8th and 10th, respectively)
41) Robert Hagg (41st overall, obviously)
72) Jackson Houck (94th overall)
132) Greg Chase (188th overall)
162) Viktor Arvidsson (undrafted last year; drafted 112th overall this year)
192) Kyle Burroughs (196th overall)

This year, here's how I would've picked them:

17) Robby Fabbri (6th on my draft list - went 21st overall; Bleackley and Barbashev were my next two BPA, ranked 9th and 10th, respectively)
48) Ryan Donato (56th overall)
86) Shane Gersich (134th overall)
138) Tyson Baillie (undrafted)
168) Kyle Jenkins (187th overall)
198) Reid Gardiner (undrafted)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My only complaint is that they failed to select a goaltender this year. I normally wouldn't care but without a second or third round pick in next years draft as of now it's pretty concerning.

As of right now all we have is Stolarz & Madsen. While I like Stolarz's physical makeup the fact he flopped back to back years in the most crucial times is concerning to the point that I can't put complete faith in him & Madsen well he was a shot in the dark pick late in last years draft he can't be counted for at least another 4 years if not at all.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
My only complaint is that they failed to select a goaltender this year. I normally wouldn't care but without a second or third round pick in next years draft as of now it's pretty concerning.

As of right now all we have is Stolarz & Madsen. While I like Stolarz's physical makeup the fact he flopped back to back years in the most crucial times is concerning to the point that I can't put complete faith in him & Madsen well he was a shot in the dark pick late in last years draft he can't be counted for at least another 4 years if not at all.

I was thinking that too, we are very low on goalie prospects and we should have taken one.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/hextall-aims-fix-flyers-late-round-draft-woes

A good read. I know its Timmy P but its how Hexy is changing the way we draft in the later rounds.

A quote:

“If you look at the history of the draft, the kids who don’t play are kids who are not hungry to play. It doesn’t always come in physical play … it’s the will to win and it comes in skill players.

“That’s been my stress to my scouts, whether it is pros or amateurs, the will to win is huge. The gap between best team in the league and worst team is not very big. A lot of times, it’s whoever wants to win and sacrifice and pay the price. That comes in skill players, not just your grinders and fourth line guy.â€

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was thinking that too, we are very low on goalie prospects and we should have taken one.

Yeah I mean it's hard to really fault them in terms of quality since the top 3 goalies went in the top 10 of the second round but we need some bodies there still. Two goalies isn't enough & really hurting your chances of one of them turning into something.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Timmy makes it sound as if every team but the Flyers is consistently finding talent in the late rounds. Most teams can't even turn a 2nd round pick into an NHL player, let alone a good one. Even the ones that do miss more often than they hit...

Anyway, yeah. I'm excited about the direction of the team right now. If this current group of defensive prospects pan out, and we start hitting on late round talent, it's going to be fun in Philadelphia in a few years.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah I mean it's hard to really fault them in terms of quality since the top 3 goalies went in the top 10 of the second round but we need some bodies there still. Two goalies isn't enough & really hurting your chances of one of them turning into something.

I think Hextall himself said he was disappointed that they didn't get a goalie, but that all of the guys they liked got picked before they had a chance.

Hopefully next year, we grab a forward in the 1st, a goalie not so long after, and our prospect pool looks a little more well rounded.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hopefully next year, we grab a forward in the 1st, a goalie not so long after, and our prospect pool looks a little more well rounded.

Yeah but as I mentioned above currently we're sitting here with no 2nd or 3rd round picks for next year, that's really the only reason why I have some concern.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah but as I mentioned above currently we're sitting here with no 2nd or 3rd round picks for next year, that's really the only reason why I have some concern.

Ouch, I forgot we got rid of our 2nd. Hopefully Hextall can get one back. With his emphasis on drafting well in late rounds, you have to think he's not too thrilled without a 2nd in a deep draft.

And that MacDonald deal is looking worse and worse. Hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been nice to just wait until this offseason and take a run at Ehrhoff, which I don't think is feasible now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, if we didn't have MacDonald we could outbid every other team and give Ehrhoff 7 years at $7 million. Then we would all be happy.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Quebec is planning on drafting Kevin Fiala with their first pick in the CHL Import Draft this Wednesday afternoon.

Interested to see if Lindbolm gets selected. I don't think he does but we'll see.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Quebec is planning on drafting Kevin Fiala with their first pick in the CHL Imporant Draft this Wednesday afternoon.

Interested to see if Lindbolm gets selected. I don't think he does but we'll see.

That's a little bit surprising. I guess Nashville had a little (a lot) say in that matter. The kid would have gotten a lot of ice time in a professional league. He is going to tear up the Q. Quebec is also hosting the Memorial Cup so I guess that pitch didn't hurt either. Probably a one and done guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad