Flyers' Draft Day Recap (part 4)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Thought this was an awesome draft. Did a good job of balancing between "safe" and "reward" while minimizing risk.

Love the Aube-Kubel, Lindblom, Friedman, and Pettersson picks in particular.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Last year people thought clarke may challenge for a top 5 pick in this draft and not a single team is willing to give him a shot with a 7th round pick? Aho was the number one rated euro d-man and goes undrafted as well.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Everyone hated the goon picks, but my biggest pet peeve was always the the prep school kids. Amorosa, Placek, and Luukko were the ones that always got to me.

Prep hockey doesn't give you a good enough base to judge players on. Would rather forego prep schoolers and draft them overage out of college (eg, Gostisbehere).

Really happy we didn't go fishing for New England prep school kids.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
My read is that the Flyers had a good draft. As I watched the guys go off of the board last night and listened to a few of them be interviewed, I liked the Sanheim pick more and more. Size and speed kills; add to that a mature attitude and you have a winner of a prospect.
Going into the draft, most scouts were saying that this was not an exceptional one. Pretty good at the top three, then another tier down through the 8-10 selection and after that a lot of equally rated prospects. I think that in five years, there will be more than the usual busts out of that first round. Forwards that are under six feet tall and less than 190# aren't usually top six players. Some guys have "hey look at me" demeanor that need to be adjusted and that will happen in the pro game. As we all have seen, being a hot shot at the U-18 and U-20 levels is one thing. The pro game is for men and if you can't bring adult tools to it, you're a goner.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
i wish the flyers could have traded up and gotten milano. If we had come away from this draft with milano, mckeown , and karlsson i would have been thrilled.

I do like the players we took just would've preferred the 3 i listed above.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Bob Rotruck ‏@BobRotruck 2m

AUDIO - Chris Pryor. This is the best stuff on the kids who were drafted this weekend. Gives specifics on each player
http://chirb.it/h5NerP

Bob Rotruck ‏@BobRotruck 2m

AUDIO: Ron Hextall impressions of the draft-class and the weekend overall.
http://chirb.it/mBhKks

Bob Rotruck ‏@BobRotruck 3m

AUDIO - Paul Holmgren comments on the 2014 Draft.
http://chirb.it/3cFx7I

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Didn't see any of the draft but the picks seem pretty solid across the board. Would have preferred Kapanen over Sanheim. Surprised more people aren't in that camp (or just a forward vs. Sanheim camp). This kid had a pretty big rise to the draft from what I've read. Wasnt he like playing in second tier junior league last year?

GoingTopShelf

Aug 1, 2012
Don't know much about the players, but based on what I read...Me = :clap::hockey:

Sanheim - Really liking the pick. Seems he's got some great tools. McDonagh/Bouwmeester-comparison..not bad.

Aube - Kubel - Never heard of. Reports sounds like Matt Read 2.0. and our drafting from the Q has a pretty good record. Nice!

Friedman - Also totally unknown name for me, but the things I read sounds like he has some good upside.

Lindblom - woo, a Swede :yo: Not that good season 13/14. But the tools are there and I like the value for a fifth rounder.

Fazleev - :dunno:

Pettersson - Size is a concern, though he's strong. Has good spirit and competes hard. Probably makes the jump to Phantoms as early as 15/16. Celing is low, longshot to be a defensive #6/7.

I likes this draft overall. Some (potentially) good pieces early on and a little bit of gamble in the later rounds.

The direction with Hextall (witch the FO started in -12 IMO) feels promising.

Disappointed - WHERE is all the trades? Not just Flyers, but overall...so much smoke and so little fire...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
as much as I wanted Tuch and maybe even Kapanen I was not shocked they went with a defender. Sanheim was a very good pick. With the graduates from the Calgary team he should be looking at more ice time and a more important role. The Flyers biggest organizational weakness has now turned into a strength. who would of thought.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I'm pretty excited. I'd only really read about the first rounders this year, but I'm liking what the Flyers overall. I'd wanted Sanheim for a while, so I'm thrilled with that. Kubel and Lindblom sound like pretty good picks, as well, although I know less about them. I was originally hoping we could move up in the 2nd and grab Barbashev, or Kempe if LA didn't grab him, but whatever. I'm happy.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
I'm really happy with the first four picks. Sanheim is very promising and I really like what I've read about the Swede, Lindblom. The last two I'm not that excited about, but they are 6-7 rounders so that's totally fine.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A draft where not a single pick could be considered a complete waste of time

Never thought I'd see the day.

It was a great weekend to be around town, meeting people and whatnot.

Prospects and executives just milling around the concourse as well. I met Ville Husso and Aube-Kubel in the store, one of the Coyotes draftees too, not sure who it was, I think it was Anton Karlsson. My friend met Bill Daly. I also met Darryl Sutter last night.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Had some great picks. I don't know a whole lot about these guys, but the reports have made me excited haha. Can't wait to see all of these guys in action.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Nice exchange between Hextall and Panaccio:

---
Do you feel, among the frustration of not moving up, what about Vinny? Not being able to do anything with that this weekend?

-long pause-

I’m gonna repeat it again Panotch, it’s an internal issue. if we got something to report, I will. Otherwise Vinny will be with us in September.

Well, that’s not what I’m asking. I’m asking is it disappointing that-

No.

you weren’t able…

I wasn’t expecting anything to happen.
---

Nice to see someone else putting him down. If Hextall really wasn't expecting anything to get done, though, I'd imagine he's expecting something to go down once the bonus is paid.

He also confirmed Akeson was qualified. Was asked about McGinn and Heeter and said they have to discuss that.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
Sanheim
mxvoUkT.jpg

Aube-Kubel
YVcj9Ga.jpgd

Friedman
KPUG9Iz.jpg

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hextall at odds with Panotch. I'm going to love every minute of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad