Flyers' Draft Day Recap (part 4)

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Good draft. No Klotz/Z 2.0s, so happy. Prior said individual scouts stepped up to get their guys picked and I certainly trust the Flyers Q scouts (although they have changed over the past decade).

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
Good draft. No Klotz/Z 2.0s, so happy. Prior said individual scouts stepped up to get their guys picked and I certainly trust the Flyers Q scouts (although they have changed over the past decade).

Apparently Nolet had scouted Aube-Kubel, so I have a lot of faith in that pick.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Apparently Nolet had scouted Aube-Kubel, so I have a lot of faith in that pick.

Really? Well that's good to know. I hope this kid ends up like Matt Read or better. I really like what the Islanders did when they traded up and took Ho-Sang. I was sure the Flyers were going to do something like that considering the draft was in Philly. When they didn't and I watched the other players I wanted fall off the board and they drafted Aube-Kubel I was kind of disappointed. Nolet is great at spotting talent so I hope this kid tears it up this year and ends up being a steal.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Two of my favorite things at the draft that made me so proud to be a Flyers fan was when everyone booed Bettman and Pitt/Tocchet.

Who wanted to go to the podium Friday night in Philadelphia to announce the team's first-round draft selection? Tocchet -- who was a fan favorite when he played for the Penguins and Flyers, and who recently did broadcasting work for Flyers games -- seemed like a logical choice.

"You know I'm going to get booed, Jim," Tocchet told Rutherford.

"Well, I don't want to get booed," Rutherford replied, according to Tocchet.

Sure enough, Tocchet stepped to the microphone and got jeered by the crowd at Wells Fargo Center. After all, he had crossed over to the enemy.

"You have to think it's the best rivalry in the NHL," Tocchet said of the Penguins and Flyers. "It's really intense. Sidney Crosby could be one of the most hated visiting players in Philadelphia."

Thats from http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...r-resilient-Rick-Tocchet/stories/201406290110

I love Tocchet but Bravo to all of you who booed him!!

bobbyboucher24

May 9, 2002
Philadelphia, USA
Visit site
Just wanted to give a quick recap of players and coaches I got to see and/or meet up close Friday night. Met Fridge upon entering and said hello, and 2 min later met Giroux and gave him a pat on the back. Later on said hello to Recchi. After the night was over got to chat with Terry Murray briefly. Bumped into Ron Francis, Bill Guerin, Lavy. Saw Sanheim and said congrats and good luck. Never saw a kid just so excited for the moment. He was obviously enjoying the whole night as he should. Other draftees I got to see up close included Haydn Fleury, Ekblad & Nick Ritchie.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Finally got around to watching the Sanheim highlight reel. Kid looks like he can really skate. I still would have preferred to see a forward taken, but certainly can't be upset with this pick.

Who is closer to the NHL...Morin or Sanheim? I doubt they bring them both in at the same time, right? Maybe Morin 2015-16 and Sanheim 2016-17?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think Sanheim was pretty high on Hextalls wish list over many of the forwards that many of us wanted. Don't really have any proof of that just have the feeling this is the guy they targeted at 17. I am sure they had fallback options obviously but this was likely Hextalls guy.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Finally got around to watching the Sanheim highlight reel. Kid looks like he can really skate. I still would have preferred to see a forward taken, but certainly can't be upset with this pick.

Who is closer to the NHL...Morin or Sanheim? I doubt they bring them both in at the same time, right? Maybe Morin 2015-16 and Sanheim 2016-17?

i think both guys are a couple of years away from a physical stand point. I thinkmorin is closer in that regard however.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

I would think Morin because Sanheim has had only 1 year in junior hockey thus far. Who knows though, maybe his rapid progress continues and Morin's stagnates and he ends up passing him.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I would say that Morin and Sanheim were both at a similar stage of development at their respective draft years. Morin didn't get a full opportunity (pp time consistently) last year, so Sanheim may get the chance to reduce the gap this year, but right now, I'd say they are the year apart you'd expect.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I think Sanheim was pretty high on Hextalls wish list over many of the forwards that many of us wanted. Don't really have any proof of that just have the feeling this is the guy they targeted at 17. I am sure they had fallback options obviously but this was likely Hextalls guy.
McKenzie said right before the Flyers picked that he heard they were targeting Sanheim.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's awesome reading scouts and other knowledgeable people on twitter saying they're really high on both Sanheim and Aube-Kabel. I'm really happy with our picks this year and they all seem to have some skill. Our D prospects look fantastic right now... and our offensive prospect collection is being restocked, even though not many of them have really high ceilings.

I'm seriously depressed looking at how long I have to wait until training camp and the start of the season...

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
McKenzie said right before the Flyers picked that he heard they were targeting Sanheim.

He prefaced that statement with, "Don't be surprised if they go for an offensive defenseman here". Almost puked thinking it was gonna be DeAngelo.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He prefaced that statement with, "Don't be surprised if they go for an offensive defenseman here". Almost puked thinking it was gonna be DeAngelo.

Sanheim is actually considered an offensive defenseman at this point in his career so that's who he was referring to.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
I disagree with Fabbri having more upside, I feel he actually has a pretty low ceiling but a decently high floor. I am glad we didn't pick Fabbri.

Why do you think he has a low ceiling? He had a better ppg than Dal Colle, Virtanen, Ritchie. He has the best points per 60 out of draft eligible forwards and was second to Bennet in even strength points per 60. He'd be in the top 10 if he was a little bigger.

In fact, his point per game is the same as Giroux's was in his draft year. I'm not saying he will be that good because point per game players in the NHL do not grow on trees, but I think he has a fairly high ceiling.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Wish we could get video from the war room to see them deliberating over Sanheim like we got last year.

absolutely.do you mean flight plan? love that behind -the -scenes stuff.especially anything draft/trade related, interesting as hell. i just want to find out all i can.

also sorta related...i wish i knew well in advance somehow who they were targeting- i watch every junior tournament game and some whl but would have been watching every hitmen game.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Where is this coming from? I didn't mind him as our "insider". I just haven't seen anything on Twitter. On my phone, believe you, just want to see why

I don't know for sure what happened but he's not working for them anymore for whatever reason I just assumed he got fired. If you look at his twitter account he took down all the Flyers related stuff & it even says currently unemployed or something in his bio.

The Flyers have been releasing info from the regular account recently & he didn't do any of the draft stuff neither so it got me to looking to see what was up with him & I looked at his twitter account & found all this stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad