Post-Game Talk: Flyers @ Caps | 5/7/21 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sometimes I wonder what people expect when they look at a player and say he's "invisible" or "doing nothing".

I see Mantha increasingly finding the spots he needs to be in and doing the little things that need to be done. He's not a huge wall presence but he's very good with the puck and doesn't stay on the perimeter or just wait for breakaways like Vrana. He's also played up and down the lines pretty flawlessly, other than not challenging on the wraparound deflection goal against last night.

Taller guys don't expend a lot of energy with spastic flailing of arms and legs as they waterbug all over the ice. Look at Chara. He covers ground and it looks like he's barely striding. Mantha is similar. Think of Kozloaf but less loaf.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Prone to slumps, often looks like he's floating out there, doesn't bring much in the defensive zone, lack of compete level, doesn't do much when he's not scoring.

Basically, he's the same as the player we gave up for him
I still see the details, hands and IQ. He hasn't been perfect defensively but his possession game still seems strong. I don't think they're the same because there's still a lot more one-on-one battle level, albeit likely at the expense of less explosiveness in the lineup. Still, even in his lulls there's more to offer the top six.

He is too perimeter for his size and doesn't often try to just will himself interior but I think Backstrom is more often the issue than Mantha's play offensively. Backstrom very rarely either creates separation for himself or otherwise creates in a way that opens it up for his linemates. Lack of time and space is also a function of overall team play. If they're not collectively bringing it there's a lot less across the board. While he's not leading the way I think there's still subtle things he does that are really helpful (and it's probably asking too much for an immediate revolution in his game). This is sort of who he is but with better tempo around him I don't think it'd be much of an issue.

ltdr: I still think he does pretty helpful things even when he's more of a passenger.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Sometimes I wonder what people expect when they look at a player and say he's "invisible" or "doing nothing".

I see Mantha increasingly finding the spots he needs to be in and doing the little things that need to be done. He's not a huge wall presence but he's very good with the puck and doesn't stay on the perimeter or just wait for breakaways like Vrana. He's also played up and down the lines pretty flawlessly, other than not challenging on the wraparound deflection goal against last night.

Taller guys don't expend a lot of energy with spastic flailing of arms and legs as they waterbug all over the ice. Look at Chara. He covers ground and it looks like he's barely striding. Mantha is similar. Think of Kozloaf but less loaf.

Yup - when Mantha isn’t really on the scoreboard and when Vrana isn’t on the scoreboard - there’s a huge difference. Mantha battles, makes it harder in defenders, etc a lot better than Vrana

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Some pretty brutal takes here that are unfair, I think. These guys are still human and had probably one of the more emotional weeks they’ve had in quite some time. They came out flat as expected and took a while to find their footing. They hit four posts and had plenty of chances to win but didn’t get the breaks and Elliott had a strong outing (and got lucky as hell).

I really don’t get the Mantha hate at all. Yeah he doesn’t skate around with his hair on fire but he’s so good at a lot of things. He is terrific protecting the puck and keeping possession or passing in tight spaces. He almost always makes the right pass in all three zones. I’d like to see him be more assertive and stop always deferring and looking for the perfect play because when he puts his head down and skates he’s a runaway train with elite stick handling skills but yeah, he’s really good at hockey and he’s going to be a great fit once he settles in a bit.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Prone to slumps, often looks like he's floating out there, doesn't bring much in the defensive zone, lack of compete level, doesn't do much when he's not scoring.

Basically, he's the same as the player we gave up for him
I honestly don’t understand how you think the last part is true other than maybe it’s just a convenient and easy thing to say? Vrana is a turnover machine even when he’s scoring and has no clue what to do in the defensive zone. He is incapable of keeping possession in the offensive zone because he looks like Bambi on skates when he gets touched. When Mantha isn’t scoring he’s still able to keep possession and set up other guys and he uses his size really well to keep the puck or win it back.

Vrana is a one trick pony, though granted he’s pretty damn good at that trick. But yeah, he and Mantha are not at all the same player.

Reactions: crab and Corby78

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I honestly don’t understand how you think the last part is true other than maybe it’s just a convenient and easy thing to say? Vrana is a turnover machine even when he’s scoring and has no clue what to do in the defensive zone. He is incapable of keeping possession in the offensive zone because he looks like Bambi on skates when he gets touched. When Mantha isn’t scoring he’s still able to keep possession and set up other guys and he uses his size really well to keep the puck or win it back.

Vrana is a one trick pony, though granted he’s pretty damn good at that trick. But yeah, he and Mantha are not at all the same player.

this…not sure how anyone could stomach Vrana for years if they have issue with how Mantha is playing so far…

Just a way more complete player.

After this guy gets settled into the DC area….I expect a big season next year honestly.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
this…not sure how anyone could stomach Vrana for years if they have issue with how Mantha is playing so far…

Just a way more complete player.

After this guy gets settled into the DC area….I expect a big season next year honestly.

and this (bolded above). With a full camp and the opportunity to become more accustomed to whoever his 'normal' linemates are, Mantha should demonstrate his overall value compared to the Snake. I don't think he makes optimum use of his size and presence but even with his shortcomings he is an improvement over 13. Vrana can go into any system and use his speed and shot to immediately make virtually all the contributions he will ever make to a new club. With Mantha the benefits are more subtle and need time to mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad