Rumor: Flyers Canadiens Talking Trade, Coburn, Talbot, Simmonds

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
The Flyers aren't trading Simmonds.

Realistically, as I posted last night, I can see Talbot being expendable for a decent prospect. Losing his $1.75MM cap hit would make sense if there was another UFA we were looking at still unsigned or if Homer wanted to sign Gagne. There must be a Montreal prospect our scouts like. How about Zach Furcale for Talbot, Gervais and Bourdon?

If I'm not mistaken, it's a given Gagne will be resigned. Terms of the new deal are already agreed on. They just need to make room for some cap space.

I agree, Simmonds goes nowhere.

1297398545041_ORIGINAL.jpg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
If I'm not mistaken, it's a given Gagne will be resigned. Terms of the new deal are already agreed on. They just need to make room for some cap space.

I agree, Simmonds goes nowhere.

They don't need to clear any cap space, per my post. They can go over by $6MM this offseason as long as they get under for the opener.

My reticence about signing Gagne is that I'd rather have McGinn in the lineup. IF Talbot's dealt, which I wouldn't mind, we could have McGinn and Gagne...

Adding Lecavalier made Gagne unnecessary, really

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
They don't need to clear any cap space, per my post. They can go over by $6MM this offseason as long as they get under for the opener.

My reticence about signing Gagne is that I'd rather have McGinn in the lineup. IF Talbot's dealt, which I wouldn't mind, we could have McGinn and Gagne...

Adding Lecavalier made Gagne unnecessary, really

Yep, I'm aware of. With the need to clear cap space I meant not to handcuff yourself (with some possible other FA signings/trades) or to be forced to send pronger to LTIR.

Otherwise, yep it could be done immediatly.

Don't agree on Gagne. Think he has some left in the tank for a top-9 role. We'll see.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is outright stupidity.

Adding Michael Blunden might make Holmgren go for it? What? A guy who has 8 points in 94 games at age 26? WTF?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
What a load of you know what. Blunden? If you are going to make something up, at least it should be somewhat realistic. This isn't.

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Is this a joke? No way in hell do you give up the type of player Simmonds is for what Montreal is offering , plus he is on an amazing contract IMO , do not want this at all , Holmgren please take it easy and don't go for it , please.

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
We are not actually cap compliant now. We're fine for the offseason but we have to be under cap including the LTIR contracts before the opening day of the season. Basically I think our roster looks like this:

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($0.900m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Scott Laughton ($0.925m) / Sean Couturier ($0.925m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.594m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m)
Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.613m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ray Emery ($1.650m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,180,856; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (25-man roster):- $1,880,856

As players can only be demoted when healthy we have to carry Wellwood and Bourdon for now. I've seen people say that Bourdon is healthy, or will be soon, so if you demote him we'd still have to demote 2 others (Rinaldo and Rosehill probably) in order to be under the cap by $156,644. That would also leave us a forward short on opening day. Now I dunno if on opening day, first thing in the morning, we can say Pronger and Wellwood are LTIR and then call other people up but it's still not the best way to do things (we've spent all the bonus money that would then be taken off next years cap for example).

For that reason I'd begrudgingly ship Coburn for Beaulieu as I think it's not a bad deal, addresses some of our needs and theirs. Any bigger deals including more players are hard to speculate at because there's a lot of stuff involved. Montreal has the cap space and could probably do with a top 4 D who is tied down for a few years and we could do with a young PMD.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
We are not actually cap compliant now. We're fine for the offseason but we have to be under cap including the LTIR contracts before the opening day of the season. Basically I think our roster looks like this:

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($0.900m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Scott Laughton ($0.925m) / Sean Couturier ($0.925m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.594m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m)
Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.613m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ray Emery ($1.650m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,180,856; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (25-man roster):- $1,880,856

As players can only be demoted when healthy we have to carry Wellwood and Bourdon for now. I've seen people say that Bourdon is healthy, or will be soon, so if you demote him we'd still have to demote 2 others (Rinaldo and Rosehill probably) in order to be under the cap by $156,644. That would also leave us a forward short on opening day. Now I dunno if on opening day, first thing in the morning, we can say Pronger and Wellwood are LTIR and then call other people up but it's still not the best way to do things (we've spent all the bonus money that would then be taken off next years cap for example).

For that reason I'd begrudgingly ship Coburn for Beaulieu as I think it's not a bad deal, addresses some of our needs and theirs. Any bigger deals including more players are hard to speculate at because there's a lot of stuff involved. Montreal has the cap space and could probably do with a top 4 D who is tied down for a few years and we could do with a young PMD.

Either of these issues are not worth making a bad trade over. Bonuses earned are the only ones that apply vs LTIR. Further, I would imagine that players could be put on LTIR on day 1.

feedingschennzy

Feb 11, 2012
Coburn Simmonds Talbot for Pacioretty Beauleau is a good hockey trade. Losing Simmonds would really hurt but Pacioretty is on an even better contract for the next 6 years and a first line of Pac Giroux Voracek is an excellent well balanced line

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Coburn Simmonds Talbot for Pacioretty Beauleau is a good hockey trade. Losing Simmonds would really hurt but Pacioretty is on an even better contract for the next 6 years and a first line of Pac Giroux Voracek is an excellent well balanced line

But the rumor is Plekanec.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
But the rumor is Plekanec.

and this is why it makes no sense IMO, no matter how high/low you think of Plekanec, it doesnt make sense to add him when you already have Vinny, Giroux, Cout, B Schenn who can all play C on your top 9...

and it doesnt make sense for the Habs to deal Plekanec away and be stuck with youngsters like Eller/Galchenuyk as top 6 C, they may have talent but they're not ready yet...

although if Simmonds was part of the deal...

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Ill be pissed if simmer is gone. Talk about prototypical flyer. Wears the 17 of clement homer berube and rod. They dont just give that number out

Yes, I will be pretty pissed if they let Simmonds go as well. I also like Talbot. I want him to stay. Coburn - I'd be happy if he left

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

That's not a very good trade for us.

Pacioretty is the more gifted player, but the difference between him and Simmonds isn't that big. People are down on Coburn, but Beauleau is still an unproven commodity. Talbot is a good bottom-six forward.

Coburn for Beauleau + makes sense. If they want to move Coburn + Talbot for Beauleau + +, I wouldn't be opposed. But the Simmonds/Pacioretty thing just doesn't make a lot of sense for either side.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
The Blunden comment was Marinaro joking about how this deal is wishful thinking on Habs fans' part. It's a running joke that he's terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad