GDT: Flyers at Bruins | Sat, Oct. 8 | 5:00 pm | Pre-season #8

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Why would he waive the hearing, days off now and league probably looking to drop the hammer on him. Why not go,plead your case ?

My feelings exactly. At least go in person and say something. By not showing up, the powers that be might think "well, he doesn't care. Let's give him 8 games"(or however many). Not a guud move on Radko's part.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Taking into account if the player is injured or not is ridiculous too. It should only be the action thats considered, not the result. Imagine someone tries to kill another person by shooting at them, but misses and the person ends up 100% unscathed. Now imagine someone tosses a wiffleball at a friend when he's not looking and it hits him in he nose, causing a nosebleed, which technically caused more damage than was dealt to the person who was shot at. Should the guy who tossed the wiffleball be in more trouble than the shooter? Of course not.
This might surprise you, but the punishment for murder is greater than that for attempted murder. That's how all civilized societies and legal systems work, they take into account the result of a given action. Maybe you should take it up with thousands of years of history and argue with the legal authorities and legislators how that thinking is all wrong.

Your analogy also fails miserably, because no one said the outcome is all that's important. The intent is still mostly more important, which is why no one is getting punished for a clean play that results in an injury.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
My feelings exactly. At least go in person and say something. By not showing up, the powers that be might think "well, he doesn't care. Let's give him 8 games"(or however many). Not a guud move on Radko's part.

I'm hoping they told him the hearing is a show and he doesn't need to waste his time.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This might surprise you, but the punishment for murder is greater than that for attempted murder. That's how all civilized societies and legal systems work, they take into account the result of a given action. Maybe you should take it up with thousands of years of history and argue with the legal authorities and legislators how that thinking is all wrong.

Your analogy also fails miserably, because no one said the outcome is all that's important. The intent is still mostly more important, which is why no one is getting punished for a clean play that results in an injury.

:laugh: You really couldn't tell that it was an extreme hyperbolic example?

And the people who are saying that the result matters is the league... it's literally in the rule book. I know it isn't the only thing they look at, but it's looked at faaar more than it should be.

kyuss

May 28, 2012

So, you agree with him.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos

The hearings are ******** and would just be a huge waste of time for him.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
So, you agree with him.
He was saying only the action should be considered, what are you not getting about my response?

:laugh: You really couldn't tell that it was an extreme hyperbolic example?

And the people who are saying that the result matters is the league... it's literally in the rule book. I know it isn't the only thing they look at, but it's looked at faaar more than it should be.
I didn't even address your example and I was saying that they're justified in taking into consideration the result. That's how law works.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was saying only the action should be considered, what are you not getting about my response?

I didn't even address your example and I was saying that they're justified in taking into consideration the result. That's how law works.

But there's a difference between a murder and a borderline hit in a sporting event... a big one.

I'm not saying murder and attempted murder should be the exact same thing, but if two hits in a hockey game are nearly identical (on the part of the "attacker") then they should have the same punishment. The one that made someone sit out the rest of the game was no more or less illegal than the one that didn't injure. Now if someone boards a player and there's an extremely result, like paralysizng someone or even death, then sure the punishment should be escalated.

So maybe what I should have said is that the result should only be considered when it makes sense to be considered, not for every single hit.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Anything 5 and over I think he can appeal. So technically he can probably play the first couple of games if he fights it.

Maybe its just over 5.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Didn't like the hit and not surprised he's getting suspended.

While there is a lack of consistency with the DoPS, Gudas knows he's under the microscope and needs to be smarter with hits of this type.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
But there's a difference between a murder and a borderline hit in a sporting event... a big one.

I'm not saying murder and attempted murder should be the exact same thing, but if two hits in a hockey game are nearly identical (on the part of the "attacker") then they should have the same punishment. The one that made someone sit out the rest of the game was no more or less illegal than the one that didn't injure. Now if someone boards a player and there's an extremely result, like paralysizng someone or even death, then sure the punishment should be escalated.

So maybe what I should have said is that the result should only be considered when it makes sense to be considered, not for every single hit.
Yeah, I know there's a difference and I only listed that as an example. But the same thing happens with other punishable offenses, as well, the result is always taken into consideration.

So yeah, I agree that the action is the only thing that matters when considering if something is illegal or not, but the question of illegality is separate from the determination of the punishment. First you decide whether something is illegal and what category it falls under, and then you determine the punishment. And when you're given more than a single option, such as for example when the length of the punishment is given as a range, the result comes into play, but only at that last stage.

kyuss

May 28, 2012

I think he said a little more than that. I got your response. You can keep the rest.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I get he'll be suspended and we'll deal, but not going to cry about having a defender back there that makes guys think twice about going into that zone. Gudas is a heavy hitter, who can move and has a decent first pass.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
love that he waived the hearing
entire process is a clown-show anyways
more consistent inconsistency coming...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I like Gudas but it is what it is at this point with him. He's earned his reputation & hasnt really made any efforts to change. He's pretty much at Rinaldo levels when it comes to knowing how to tow the line.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I know there's a difference and I only listed that as an example. But the same thing happens with other punishable offenses, as well, the result is always taken into consideration.

So yeah, I agree that the action is the only thing that matters when considering if something is illegal or not, but the question of illegality is separate from the determination of the punishment. First you decide whether something is illegal and what category it falls under, and then you determine the punishment. And when you're given more than a single option, such as for example when the length of the punishment is given as a range, the result comes into play, but only at that last stage.

Ok so I think we're mostly agreeing on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad