GDT: Flyers at Bruins | Sat, Oct. 8 | 5:00 pm | Pre-season #8

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Man the NHL has become soft if this is a suspendible offense.
So much this. Finishing your check is all that this was. I guess the nhl wants to say hard hitting is not allowed if he's suspended here. Gudas is great. It's so unfortunate he's playing in Era ruled by soft hockey fans that cry everytime a player gets hit relatively hard. Sad.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
So much this. Finishing your check is all that this was. I guess the nhl wants to say hard hitting is not allowed if he's suspended here. Gudas is great. It's so unfortunate he's playing in Era ruled by soft hockey fans that cry everytime a player gets hit relatively hard. Sad.

This is the new NHL. I hate it as much as everyone else, but denying reality doesn't help anyone. Gudas is a marked man... just like Rinaldo, Torres, McSorley, etc. Either he needs to do a better job of playing within the confines of the current NHL or he needs to go to another hockey league that allows his play. What he is doing now is hurting the team both on the ice and with the salary cap.

If the NHL changes their rules to allow more aggressive checking.... Awesome. Until then, you have to play within the rules of the game as it is currently called.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Honestly, this check is really not that bad. If they suspend for this, they will put themselves in a bad precedent. Which means the bad hits happen and they don't suspend them, and there will be plenty. We will all have to go ***** and moan about this one.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Honestly, this check is really not that bad. If they suspend for this, they will put themselves in a bad precedent. Which means the bad hits happen and they don't suspend them, and there will be plenty. We will all have to go ***** and moan about this one.

Suspension is one thing, but I also don't understand why its ok to continue to put the team down a man. The unnecessary minor and major penalties will kill us.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
BTW, I thought boarding was defenseless facing the boards. The guy was facing Gudas.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada

That would make sense if the NHL cared about precedent. Nothing is consistent.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How would a potential Gudas suspension effect our cap situation?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
That would make sense if the NHL cared about precedent. Nothing is consistent.
Exactly so. The NHL pulls discipline as out of its @$$. If certain players on certain teams do things, they get pounded by the league. Other players on other teams cn do whatever and it's fine. It's all part of the league creating saints and sinners and we know which one the Flyers are. It's been that way for almost fifty years. Sometimes deserved but mostly not based on past reputation.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How would a potential Gudas suspension effect our cap situation?

Not really at all... but it would be getting scary in regards to the number of players actually eligible to play! Since Schenn & Gudas would be suspended the Flyers would have only 21 actual roster players eligible to play... including Laughton & MDZ.

So they would have to LTIR MDZ & Laughton really if Gudas is suspended to afford an extra player to take on the road trip... and even then they would have to choose between a fwd or Dman... given Manning's injury it would likely be an extra Dman.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Gudas has an in person hearing (waived). 5+ games coming.

You have to be ****ing kidding me.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Gudas has an in person hearing (waived). 5+ games coming.

You have to be ****ing kidding me.

If he does it is a joke.

The Rinaldo hit on Couturier last year was very similar... late and with initial contact to body, but rode up into head.

DOPS said as not too late and initial contact body was not suspendable... even though he also left feet... and had more history.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
The more I look at that Gudas hit, the more I think it didn't warrant a penalty at all. I'm surprised this is getting more attention than the Backes hit on Jake. I don't like anyone getting injured, but that was a routine, albeit late, check finish.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Why would he waive the hearing, days off now and league probably looking to drop the hammer on him. Why not go,plead your case ?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All I want is some consistency out of the DOPS, is that so much to ask for?

Yes, it's apparently way way way wayyyy too much to ask for. An unrealistic, naive, absurd thing to expect.

I really wouldn't even be bothered if they decided that this kind of hit was suspension worthy, I don't think it should be, but if they wanted to say that it is, and always will be, then fine. But they just flip a coin when deciding what is and isn't allowed.

It really shouldn't even be that hard, just create a library of highlights and compare them to each potential suspension, deciding if it's more similar to what's been deemed illegal or if it's closer to what's been allowed. If they already do anything like this, and we still end up with the inconsistent stupidity that we currently do, then everyone involved should be fired.

Taking into account if the player is injured or not is ridiculous too. It should only be the action thats considered, not the result. Imagine someone tries to kill another person by shooting at them, but misses and the person ends up 100% unscathed. Now imagine someone tosses a wiffleball at a friend when he's not looking and it hits him in he nose, causing a nosebleed, which technically caused more damage than was dealt to the person who was shot at. Should the guy who tossed the wiffleball be in more trouble than the shooter? Of course not.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Gudas needs to take a video from last year of that Rinaldo hit on Couturier into the room with him and force the DoPS to justify what the difference was on the two plays.

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
League is a joke when it comes to handing out suspensions hope it doesn't affect Gudas and the way he plays. Playing the game tough and on the edge makes him a effective dman for the flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad