GDT: Flyers at Bruins | Sat, Oct. 8 | 5:00 pm | Pre-season #8

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Huh, that hit was definitely late, the guy moves the puck and then Gudas goes into him. It wasn't like he was in his tracks and Gudas just wanted to finish the check, he actively changed his course after Czarnik made the pass. And to those bringing up Rinaldo's hit on Couturier, this hit was at least as late as that one (if we're just focusing on the timing and not the consequences).
Did you watch the video posted just above your post? Yeah, he hit him in the chest, but that's because Czarnik was turning towards him. But he was looking in the other direction the entire time and Gudas saw that, so the fact that he hit him in the chest doesn't make it impossible for the hit to also be blindside.

It does not matter that he wasn't looking at him. He hit him square through the middle front of his upper torso. That in no way shape or form can be considered the "blindside". It is not the hitter's responsibility to let up or be aware that the guy he's trying to hit doesn't see him. It is the hittee's responsibility to be aware of the hitter. And if he is not, then hes going to get blown up. And that is part of the sport.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This isn't much different than when we wanted Rinaldo's head on a platter after he injured Couturier last year. Not necessary for the head to even come into question regardless of whether or not it was legal.

Regardless, looks like this team better get used to Gudas being missing from the lineup. If he escapes this one, won't be long until something happens where he doesn't.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Well then I guess from now on players should be taught to quickly look away from any incoming player so that they can draw a penalty/suspension by being "blindsided".
No, no one is saying that. Obviously that wouldn't constitute a blindside hit anymore, because then they'd be aware of the other guy's intention to hit and turning away wouldn't change that. But here Czarnik was looking in the other direction the whole time, trying to make the pass. In addition, he was already getting hit from that direction and that's what he was preparing for. As he plays more games, he might learn that someone's going to do what Gudas did to him tonight every so often, but that's just learning to expect things that shouldn't happen according to the rules.

The hit was late, but hits are constantly late and they don't get called consistantly.
I don't know what they do in regards to late hits in general, but that doesn't change anything in regards to this case. If that's true, then they should punish both Gudas and other guys that do the same in the future.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It does not matter that he wasn't looking at him. He hit him square through the middle front of his upper torso. That in no way shape or form can be considered the "blindside". It is not the hitter's responsibility to let up or be aware that the guy he's trying to hit doesn't see him. It is the hittee's responsibility to be aware of the hitter. And if he is not, then hes going to get blown up. And that is part of the sport.

That is not how DOPS operates in this decade. They throw in things like whether or not the player should expect to be hit in relation to when the puck leaves the area.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
By that logic, no hit can ever be blindside then. It's about a reasonable level of awareness. And here it'd be hard to argue Czarnik did anything wrong. Like I said, he was getting hit from one direction already, and that and the pass was where his focus was.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
That is not how DOPS operates in this decade. They throw in things like whether or not the player should expect to be hit in relation to when the puck leaves the area.

We'll see. I still haven't seen a video of the hit in real time. Everything is slowed which I think always makes it looks later than it is.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
By that logic, no hit can ever be blindside then. It's about a reasonable level of awareness. And here it'd be hard to argue Czarnik did anything wrong. Like I said, he was getting hit from one direction already, and that and the pass was where his focus was.

No there is clearly a blind side. It's when a players back is to you and they are looking in a direction and a player from the back side picks a guy's head with his shoulder. This guy stopped where he stopped rather than attempting to advance the puck further because he knew pressure was coming from Gudas' direction and he had to move the puck the other way or get it deep. It is 100 pct on him to know that Gudas is coming at him and be prepared for a hit.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

They're supposed to, but they ignored it on the Rinaldo hit, and he had to elevate to get to Couturier's head being shorter.

LePalle

Aug 22, 2006
South Jersey
Maybe there's an angle I haven't seen. But it looks to me like he moved upward into his head. It was late, his teammate already had the puck. I can't say I'll be upset if he gets suspended, even though it will put a player in the lineup that I don't want to watch play.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
I love Gudas, but whew...unfortunately, I think he's going to get a couple for that one.

I don't even want to guess at the opening night D pairs if he's out. LA might score 10 goals.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Little late, little high means Gudas go bye-bye. Couple of games, not much to see here. Not necessary to elevate the shoulder there.

Little late, yeah, but it looked like the shoulder just made contact with the chest. If that's suspendable, then Backes should get suspended too.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
A little late but the only reason this is getting looked at is because Czarnik got injured. If he didn't, nobody would say anything more than a two minute penatly. Fine him and move on

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They're supposed to, but they ignored it on the Rinaldo hit, and he had to elevate to get to Couturier's head being shorter.

Right, but they don't have a standard or a credible process, and really never have. Andrew Shaw gets suspended 3 pre-season games for an infraction on a minor-league player, but Brayden Schenn has to miss 3 games that count because of last year's playoffs.

Just going to have to wait for someone to end up in a wheelchair, and hopefully no one from this team is involved.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I am done with Gudas. He's a better player than Rinaldo, but every bit as dangerous of a player that routinely puts his team in bad positions. I personally hope the NHL suspends him so it escalates the clock on getting him off this team. I am done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad