Confirmed with Link: Flyers aquire Justin Bailey from Buffalo in exchange for Taylor Leier (Bailey recalled 2/10)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall absolutely preferred to play his sunk-cost vets over kids. There was zero indication he gave in 4 years that he would have waived/traded Weise and played a guy like Bailey in his place.

Bailey is 23 and already has some NHL experience. Calling him up for 4th line duties is nice, but not a big deal.

It was just a year ago that Lindblom came up as a 21 year old and played ahead of Raffl, Weal, Lehtera, Read and Weise.

NHL.com - Stats

Before that, Hextall waived Read to make room for Leier on the Flyers. That experiment fizzled out after half a season. But he did in fact waive a veteran to make room for a prospect to play in his place.

He also put Vorobyev and NAK on the roster this season. Of course, Hak refused to give them meaningful minutes and Hextall sent them down, but they did at least get a chance. Again, not firing Hak was Hextall's biggest issue.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I prefer to think of that as when Streit hurt, he called up Ghost instead of replacing a vet with a vet, and left MacDonald in the AHL for three extra months.

How come Fletch doesn't have the balls to waive AMac? ;)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When your options are Manning, VdV, Leier, Cousins, Weal, etc. does it matter who you keep?

People obsess too much about scrubs, I focus on who replaces the scrub.
Remember when people were saying that Luby should replace VdV? Well, how's Luby doing these days?

I want to see Bailey, hopefully he's progressed since he was meh with Buffalo and has risen above scrub status, but that remains to be seen.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He waived MacDonald because they were capped out and didn't have a choice. He stayed on the roster when Del Zotto went down
They had opportunities to call up MacDonald prior to the MDZ injury. They genuinely liked Manning. It’s pretty obvious at this point.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
When your options are Manning, VdV, Leier, Cousins, Weal, etc. does it matter who you keep?

People obsess too much about scrubs, I focus on who replaces the scrub.
Remember when people were saying that Luby should replace VdV? Well, how's Luby doing these days?

I want to see Bailey, hopefully he's progressed since he was meh with Buffalo and has risen above scrub status, but that remains to be seen.

But then when there are situations where the replacement is better, you change tack and claim that such changes don't matter.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given that Luby just turned 27, you'd hope for better than 57g 11-8 19 in the KHL.
Vandervelde turns 32 in a month, not surprising his career is winding down.
Point is replacing a scrub with another scrub doesn't move the needle.
So enough with the scrub angst.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
They had opportunities to call up MacDonald prior to the MDZ injury. They genuinely liked Manning. It’s pretty obvious at this point.

IMG_0352.GIF

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Manning also made a lot less. He was not making much more than the minimum.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Manning also made a lot less. He was not making much more than the minimum.
I want to call it penny-pinching. But to Hextall's credit, he did an amazing job with managing, and reducing, the cap complications of the team.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I want to call it penny-pinching. But to Hextall's credit, he did an amazing job with managing, and reducing, the cap complications of the team.

Hextall's cap-management wizardry is overrated. He found a sucker to take Vinny essentially. Other than that he didn't do anything of consequence. He traded Hartnell for Umberger to free up space for a year of Val Filppula. Woohoo.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hextall's cap-management wizardry is overrated. He found a sucker to take Vinny essentially. Other than that he didn't do anything of consequence. He traded Hartnell for Umberger to free up space for a year of Val Filppula. Woohoo.
All gm's will help one another so the Vinny trade or Grossman is to gm's helping one another out is all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He was making $625,000 but the Flyers only got $325,00 in cap relief by keeping him up over MacDonald.

Yeah, I know the threshold rule, but who was a better bet to clear waivers? Manning or MacDonald? They still had Gagner and Medvedev having around as well. I mean, yeah, they could have kept MacDonald over Manning, but it would've been more hoops to jump through, they were still counting pennies at that time and chose to keep 2 guys over 1, and when Del Zotto got hurt, it allowed them to use a big number for the LTIR allotment. If Medvedev wasn't part of the equation, then he would've stayed.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

That's the same Scott Hartnell who is still taking up space on the Columbus cap for another two and a half years.

He also traded Pronger and Grossmann for Gagner and a 4th. People seem pleased at the time.

Confirmed with Link: - Nicklas Grossmann/Chris Pronger traded to Arizona for Sam Gagner/draft pick

yes! omfg. I don't care if we get Sam Gagner back. getting rid of Grossmann (along with Pronger's cap) would be epic.

Hextall is a genius.

I actually consider Gagner a positive value player.

This is ****ing awesome. Now ditch Luke Schenn and we're in business. That one shouldn't even be a challenge.

This is the best weekend the Flyers have had in years.

YESSSSSSSSSS HEXTALL IS GOD

GOT RID OF PRONGERS CONTRACT AND GROSSMANN FOR REAL ACTUAL HOCKEY ASSETS

I don't care if Gagner never scores again for the rest of his life. This is the best weekend ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtown and Foggy14

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Hexy's cap management plus holding the line on NM/NT clauses was a highlight of his time as GM.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, I know the threshold rule, but who was a better bet to clear waivers? Manning or MacDonald? They still had Gagner and Medvedev having around as well. I mean, yeah, they could have kept MacDonald over Manning, but it would've been more hoops to jump through, they were still counting pennies at that time and chose to keep 2 guys over 1, and when Del Zotto got hurt, it allowed them to use a big number for the LTIR allotment. If Medvedev wasn't part of the equation, then he would've stayed.

Manning cleared waivers the year before. He would have cleared that year too. Why is it so hard to admit Hextall and Hakstol liked Brandon Manning?

When he was in the lineup, Hakstol played him like a top 4 defenseman. Hextall extended him 3 times and we now know he had the chance to trade him last year and didn't. Hockey Guys love the guy. Safe. Reliable. Hard-nosed. etc. etc. etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad