Confirmed with Link: Flyers aquire Justin Bailey from Buffalo in exchange for Taylor Leier (Bailey recalled 2/10)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Block what kids?
Kids have only been blocked by their own inconsistency.

Provorov (19), Patrick (19), TK (19), seems they weren't blocked.
Sanheim (21), Lindblom (21), Ghost 21 if he doesn't blow out his knee.
Laughton played a full year at 21 and got sent back.
When players get stuck in LHV, there's probably a better reason than "he's being blocked by a scrub veteran."
More likely, "he needs to play big minutes to get experience and cut back on mind farts."

Just because a few posters here declare a prospect "NHL ready" don't necessarily make it so.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Being 'blocked' is a coach not giving the young player the proper chance to succeed. There is no excuse for some of the decisions Hakstol made playing Manning, MacDonald, Weise, many others over 5 years and wading through their constant mistakes as opposed to giving young players proper time and dealing with some growing pains. Hakstol was terrible here and no glossing over that.

kostas

Jul 18, 2018
is this still the Bailey thread? haha. Bailey looks like he can skate. I was surprised to see that from a guy his size. I thought when the trade was made, it meant that Simmonds was as good as gone. Besides the Flyers need to make room for Frost, who should be able to play in NHL next season

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bailey's issue is that he has wanted to be a Voracek clone, a big fast forward playing a small forward's game - but Bailey lacks the skill set of Voracek so he looked like Leier playing that way (which explains the trade!).

If the light has gone on and he understands that he has no future as a finesse forward, and that when you're that big and that fast, you had better adopt The Hockey Song as your theme:

"Hit somebody! was what the crowd roared
When Buddy the goon came over the boards
'Coach, ' he'd say, 'I wanna score goals'
The coach said, 'Buddy, remember your role
The fast guys get paid, they shoot, they score
Protect them, Buddy, that's what you're here for"

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Being 'blocked' is a coach not giving the young player the proper chance to succeed. There is no excuse for some of the decisions Hakstol made playing Manning, MacDonald, Weise, many others over 5 years and wading through their constant mistakes as opposed to giving young players proper time and dealing with some growing pains. Hakstol was terrible here and no glossing over that.
It's as if people forget that last year, AMac and Manning were 3rd and 5th in icetime last year for Dmen.

But it wasn't just to block the kids. It's that Hak is an idiot. ES icetime last year:

AMac 2nd
Hagg 4th
Manning 5th
Gudas 6th

Oh, and Filppula was 5th in ES for forwards.

Yup, idiot confirmed.

kostas

Jul 18, 2018
Bailey's issue is that he has wanted to be a Voracek clone, a big fast forward playing a small forward's game - but Bailey lacks the skill set of Voracek so he looked like Leier playing that way (which explains the trade!).

If the light has gone on and he understands that he has no future as a finesse forward, and that when you're that big and that fast, you had better adopt The Hockey Song as your theme:

"Hit somebody! was what the crowd roared
When Buddy the goon came over the boards
'Coach, ' he'd say, 'I wanna score goals'
The coach said, 'Buddy, remember your role
The fast guys get paid, they shoot, they score
Protect them, Buddy, that's what you're here for"

Looking at the guy's penalty minutes, he doesn't seem to be a guy who likes to 'mix it up'. But he seems like he can handle playing with guys with skill, and I can see why he was drafted in the second round. you mentioned Voracek, but I really hope this guy doesn't think he can play like Voracek

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
So about Bailey, I enjoyed that he was given #27.

Seemed like a low-key F U to Hextall. Traded one of his guys in Leier, for a young player on the Phantoms, given a chance on the big club in the former Weise/Lehtera/Weal spot.

From the brief moments he was on ice, I liked it, the speed is there. He reminds me of the mighty ducks movie character, all speed, no awareness/ability to stop. That kid got better in about 2/3 hours of screen time, hopefully Bailey progresses at a similar rate.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh, and Filppula was 5th in ES for forwards.

Yup, idiot confirmed.

Yep, we should have hired Trotz, he wouldn't play a guy like Filppula (34) 14:15 a game!
Or some aging scrub like Komarov (32) 14:18
Or Johnny Boychuk (35) 18:54.
Or some 4th liner like Kuhnhackl 12:45 a game.
Or guys like Cal Clutterbuck and Mike Martin instead of young kids.

He would have installed an aggressive offensive system and let the kids play. Not. :thumbd:

Reactions: marcsson68

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Seemed like a low-key F U to Hextall. Traded one of his guys in Leier, for a young player on the Phantoms, given a chance on the big club in the former Weise/Lehtera/Weal spot.

Uh, Leier was drafted by Holmgren, #117 in 2012.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yep, we should have hired Trotz, he wouldn't play a guy like Filppula (34) 14:15 a game!

He would have installed an aggressive offensive system and let the kids play. Not. :thumbd:
Trots has no other choice.

;)

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Trots has no other choice.

;)

What I like about it is that, while having no other option, he can actually utilize those scrubs well - and the team is doing well.

The other guy with allegedly no other options utilized them so damn well he had to be carried to the playoffs by G last year, not make the playoffs the year before and got fired before Xmas this season.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

The biggest reason for their turnaround has been the goaltending. Last year they were the worst and this year they may be the best.
As the last dozen games have shown, if you can trust your goaltender it is one less thing they have to worry about.
They have a great coach and have the best goalie coach in the world

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The biggest reason for their turnaround has been the goaltending. Last year they were the worst and this year they may be the best.
As the last dozen games have shown, if you can trust your goaltender it is one less thing they have to worry about.
They have a great coach and have the best goalie coach in the world

They also have two goalies with solid track records who had off seasons last year.
It's not like they took two AHL scrubs and made them into top NHL goaltenders.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What I like about it is that, while having no other option, he can actually utilize those scrubs well - and the team is doing well.

The other guy with allegedly no other options utilized them so damn well he had to be carried to the playoffs by G last year, not make the playoffs the year before and got fired before Xmas this season.

Right, because Barzal, Bailey, Lee and Nelson are chopped liver.
Frankly, I don't think what Trotz is doing is sustainable, as the league gets film I expect them to take advantage of a thin team playing a very conservative scheme, see the 2013-14 and 2015-16 Flyers.
Coaching matters, but nearly as much as people believe around here, talent will out.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Right, because Barzal, Bailey, Lee and Nelson are chopped liver.

Yes thats exactly what I said in that quote

Coaching matters, utilization matters, communication matters, motivation matters, confidence matters. The degree? Debatable. But its nice to see when the players dont have to outwork the flaws in the factors I mentioned.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know how good Trotz really is, he was knocked out of the playoffs in the first round 5 times in six seasons in Nashville, and underachieved in the playoffs in Washington until last season (with great teams). He a good regular season coach, but his teams have generally underachieved in the post-season. He got a lot of criticism until last season.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Looked like what I expected: big, fast, stone hands, not a great thinker. Kind of just plays hard and skates and doesn’t have much of an impact. A less bad Ghoul, if you would. Surprise me, Bailey, but it’s just a shrug roster move to me. By all means give him a shot, but benching Misha for him is so bleh.

Bailey's issue is that he has wanted to be a Voracek clone, a big fast forward playing a small forward's game

What the f*** does this even mean? :laugh:

Hagg’s problem is he wanted to be a Karlsson clone. That makes as much sense. It’s like you pulled words out of a hat and put them together.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Looked like what I expected: big, fast, stone hands, not a great thinker. Kind of just plays hard and skates and doesn’t have much of an impact. A less bad Ghoul, if you would. Surprise me, Bailey, but it’s just a shrug roster move to me. By all means give him a shot, but benching Misha for him is so bleh.

What the **** does this even mean? :laugh:

Hagg’s problem is he wanted to be a Karlsson clone. That makes as much sense. It’s like you pulled words out of a hat and put them together.
Did Vorobyev get benched for him? :laugh:

I guess that shows the impact he's had on my attention span since coming up, in his massive amount of playing time. I didn't even notice when he wasn't there.

Pumped to watch Myers replace someone other than Hagg or MacDonald... if he ever plays a game this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad