Confirmed with Link: Flyers aquire Justin Bailey from Buffalo in exchange for Taylor Leier (Bailey recalled 2/10)

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I don’t think Varone or Vorobyev are contributing one more then another. Varone seems more confident and a bigger goal scoring threat, but voro seems more crafty and may have a untapped potential.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, Vorobyev has been mostly terrible in his NHL play. He’s not good enough to play on a higher line, & is a bad fit for a 4th line.

Reactions: tictactoe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev isn't as fast as I'd like, but it's a tad bit early to write him off, he's inexperienced, all of 22 and has some top flight qualities. Size, vision, passing skills.

However, he's a good example why "marinating" many players in the AHL is a good idea, he's going to struggle to get enough minutes in the NHL to improve his game, and practice is focused on the next game, not player development.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
does mckenna get waived now? I think this puts us above 23 limit unless him on conditioning removes him from limit

They’re at 23 now.

McKenna probably gets waived this week if they want to start Morin’s rehab stint.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Neither Varone nor Vorobyev are ideal 4Cs at the moment. Ironically, Weal would be a better option than both. Not sure what they are gonna do, but id start by seeing how the line plays with Bailey on it before looking for an alternative option.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Vorobyev should be the one to go down. They don't want to play him. Use someone else to replace Varone.
I agree. What I saw of Misha is that he is not fast enough skating wise and/or can’t think fast enough in the NHL. In the 5 games I saw of Bailey: fast, big, and can be nasty when things demand it. I do like the line of Raffl, Varone and Bailey. With Myers/Gudas and Morin as their D pair.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I agree. What I saw of Misha is that he is not fast enough skating wise and/or can’t think fast enough in the NHL. In the 5 games I saw of Bailey: fast, big, and can be nasty when things demand it. I do like the line of Raffl, Varone and Bailey. With Myers/Gudas and Morin as their D pair.
Yup. Ideally, a 4th line should be big, fast, & strong. Hopefully able to pin the opponent in their own end for a bit.

Vorobyev is slow, weak, & unenergetic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He either doesn't think it quick enough or they're not happy with his work ethic and I'm inclined to think it's the latter. Gordon has been clear with the players on the 4th line what he's looking for to give them more ice time, and Vorobyev apparently hasn't delivered.

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
I don’t think Varone or Vorobyev are contributing one more then another. Varone seems more confident and a bigger goal scoring threat, but voro seems more crafty and may have a untapped potential.
I think we all can agree that as of today, Vorobyev's NHL potential remains untapped. Its tappability is the question.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Every year everyone agrees that you have to give young players plenty of time and plenty of patience to work through their issues, find their feet, etc. And every year that understanding gets dropped at the first sign of trouble and people make their judgments. Even this year, in the middle of total coaching and system chaos and with an average of seven minutes a game. ****ing ridiculous.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Every year everyone agrees that you have to give young players plenty of time and plenty of patience to work through their issues, find their feet, etc. And every year that understanding gets dropped at the first sign of trouble and people make their judgments. Even this year, in the middle of total coaching and system chaos and with an average of seven minutes a game. ****ing ridiculous.

Maybe it sticks next time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think it's a lack of work ethic for Vorobyev, rather, a deliberate approach to the game (the same criticism was applied to Rubtsov in juniors) that doesn't work as well in today's up tempo NHL which has gotten faster, and thus the windows have gotten smaller.

Really talented players can outskate their lack of anticipation, other players need that time in the AHL so they get enough experience that the "game slows down." If the Flyers hadn't jumped into playoff contention, you could give Vorobyev 12 minutes a night and live with his ups and downs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yup, the lesson doesn't get learned. It's literally every year, only change is which player.

A couple weeks ago Patrick was bad at everything and a bust.
The first few months of the season Sanheim was an overrated bust.
When Lindblom was on the 4th line he was a bust.
Last year before TK went to the top line he was a bust.
The first two months of his rookie year, Provorov was a bust.

It'll never stop.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Exactly. Expecting a Russian kid who plays 7 mins a night to be perfect is crazy. He has the skill and smarts to be a good NHLer. Let him work through it

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yup, the lesson doesn't get learned. It's literally every year, only change is which player.

A couple weeks ago Patrick was bad at everything and a bust.
The first few months of the season Sanheim was an overrated bust.
When Lindblom was on the 4th line he was a bust.
Last year before TK went to the top line he was a bust.
The first two months of his rookie year, Provorov was a bust.

It'll never stop.

I'll also add that, even though I've been pretty vocal about being lower on Vorobyev than most of this board, I have no issue sticking up for him and saying that his time in the NHL so far has been 100% useless in judging him because NOBODY would be able to do anything significant with that little total icetime, those few opportunities, and that little linemate help. He's averaging 7 minutes per game with Varone and Raffl... what do people expect to happen? Who would do well in that situation?

So if anyone is turning on him based on his recent play, they're doing exactly the kind of thing we (rightfully) mock.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He doesn’t seem to translate. Might thrive in Europe.

Yes, send the Russian back home after 15 NHL games because he hasn’t immediately got up to speed on the Flyers 4th line. Don’t even bother giving him the chance to adjust to playing at the highest level, and never mind that a Canadian first rounder in this same organization recently had to spend his 3rd pro season season in the AHL just to get his game ready for the NHL.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'll also add that, even though I've been pretty vocal about being lower on Vorobyev than most of this board, I have no issue sticking up for him and saying that his time in the NHL so far has been 100% useless in judging him because NOBODY would be able to do anything significant with that little total icetime, those few opportunities, and that little linemate help. He's averaging 7 minutes per game with Varone and Raffl... what do people expect to happen? Who would do well in that situation?

So if anyone is turning on him based on his recent play, they're doing exactly the kind of thing we (rightfully) mock.

I agree with this even though I think Vorobyev hasn't shown a single thing in his most recent callup. He deserves more of a shot than this.

I do think that people slapping lineups together for next season with Stone or Panarin and Frost and then inserting Vorobyev at 4C and saying, "This lineup is amazing," need to reassess that. It seems unlikely to me that Vorobyev is going to hold off similar but more talented players like Rubtsov for very long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad