Prospect Info: Flyers actual 2013 draft rankings

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
What really stings is that we were 3rd last at one point, if we'd just tanked and stayed there or even 4th last, we'd have had the choice of Jones or Nichuskin....

Not tanking really hurt, as good as Morin's going to be three years from now, it would be nice to roll out Jones on D this year....

Nichushkin might have made a difference, but something tells me he might be a 20 to 30 point forward in Dallas. If Nichushkin were drafted by the Flyers, there's no way that he bounces Voracek or Schenn from one of the top two lines. He'd be playing on the third line at 12 to 14 minutes a night. People would be claiming it's a waste.

As for Jones, I'm just not sold on him. He's a late 1994 player who had nearly a year's worth of physical development on Morin. Let's see what Morin's 18 year old season is like compared to Jones' 18 year old season. If Morin puts up a 35 to 40 point season while excelling as a premier shut down defensemen, then I don't think the gap is as big as others have made it out to be.

I also think Morin is the perfect test for the Flyers development plan. We all know that they're good at developing forwards. Let's see how well they do when it comes to developing defensemen who have a ton of upside, but are very raw. Morin is the perfect challenge for the Flyers. Of course, everyone knows I was rooting for Morrissey, but I'm growing to like the Morin pick more and more.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I assume they had an online document or spreadsheet copy of the list, and it looks like there's a nice screen they could have hooked a lap top up to behind there. Just seems old school I guess. :laugh:

I'm guessing you were born in the 90s?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Let's see what Morin's 18 year old season is like compared to Jones' 18 year old season. If Morin puts up a 35 to 40 point season while excelling as a premier shut down defensemen, then I don't think the gap is as big as others have made it out to be.

I also think Morin is the perfect test for the Flyers development plan. We all know that they're good at developing forwards. Let's see how well they do when it comes to developing defensemen who have a ton of upside, but are very raw. Morin is the perfect challenge for the Flyers. Of course, everyone knows I was rooting for Morrissey, but I'm growing to like the Morin pick more and more.

I saw someone make a comparison of Morin's offensive development path possibly being similar to Jamie Oleksiak's on the prospect board.

The Flyers of late have been very patient with their defensemen in the minors. Granted none of them have been as talented or have the potential of Morin's caliber but they have been patient none the less. Maybe even too patient in Gustafsson's case.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I saw someone make a comparison of Morin's offensive development path possibly being similar to Jamie Oleksiak's on the prospect board.

The Flyers of late have been very patient with their defensemen in the minors. Granted none of them have been as talented or have the potential of Morin's caliber but they have been patient none the less. Maybe even too patient in Gustafsson's case.

They had Gus healthy in the minors at different points last season while dressing Foster, Gervais, etc. I was losing my mind wondering why. It better have been because of patience and development. It sure couldn't have been because of talent or level of play.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
So we got for the top 20:
1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin
5. Barkov

6. Morin
7. Mueller
8. Zadorov
9. Nurse
10. Ristolainen
11. Monahan
12. Morrissey

?Lindholm
13. Wennberg
14. Horvat
15. Lazar
16. Mantha
19. Domi

Fixed in the centre section, based on what Pryor said during Flight Plan as he went over the list for Homer.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Nichushkin might have made a difference, but something tells me he might be a 20 to 30 point forward in Dallas. If Nichushkin were drafted by the Flyers, there's no way that he bounces Voracek or Schenn from one of the top two lines. He'd be playing on the third line at 12 to 14 minutes a night. People would be claiming it's a waste.

As for Jones, I'm just not sold on him. He's a late 1994 player who had nearly a year's worth of physical development on Morin. Let's see what Morin's 18 year old season is like compared to Jones' 18 year old season. If Morin puts up a 35 to 40 point season while excelling as a premier shut down defensemen, then I don't think the gap is as big as others have made it out to be.

I'd offer that Hägg might be a perfecter (it's a word, Google it ... though it mostly relates to hair-care products) test as an offensive defenseman with consistency issues. Morin's skill set points to physical shut-down guy first and any offensive acumen he develops is a happy bonus. That, to me, will be more teachable and reinforceable within the Flyers/Phantoms than a two-way puck-carrier who needs to work on being very good defensively and doing all of this game in game out. Considering how high some were on Hägg, there will arguably be higher expectations for him than normal for a 2nd rounder.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXBsU3Tl1JA

Watch Morin from the 2:40 minute mark forward. His ability to not get beaten when he sags back into the defensive zone on the counter rush, and then to drive the forward into the corners and come at them aggressively with that stickwork-- very impressive.

Our Great Dane needs to fix this flaw in his game-- Morin seems good at it.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXBsU3Tl1JA

Watch Morin from the 2:40 minute mark forward. His ability to not get beaten when he sags back into the defensive zone on the counter rush, and then to drive the forward into the corners and come at them aggressively with that stickwork-- very impressive.

Our Great Dane needs to fix this flaw in his game-- Morin seems good at it.

I don't know anyone that suggests based on his size, skill, strength, stick, smarts, and skating Morin can't be a very good defensive defenseman. The question is whether he develops enough offensive tools to justify the 11th overall selection when compared to a guy like Santini taken at number 42. That's really the only question I see going forward.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I don't know anyone that suggests based on his size, skill, strength, stick, smarts, and skating Morin can't be a very good defensive defenseman. The question is whether he develops enough offensive tools to justify the 11th overall selection when compared to a guy like Santini taken at number 42. That's really the only question I see going forward.

Proof will be in the pudding this year if the reports of being able to take a more offensive tack this year are true.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'm really excited about the prospect and growth of Morin's game. But the fact that they had Morin and Muller ranked higher than the other big names is terrifying. Imagine if the ALL drop there, and the Flyers come up with every defenseman on the board available...and they take Sam Morin or Mirco Muller? I was at the draft, and would have been laughed out of that ****hole...

But like someone mentioned earlier, let's not pretend we know more than the Flyers scouting staff :laugh: The only thing to fear is whether or not the Flyers scouting staff pretends to know more than common sense and public opinion

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I'm really excited about the prospect and growth of Morin's game. But the fact that they had Morin and Muller ranked higher than the other big names is terrifying. Imagine if the ALL drop there, and the Flyers come up with every defenseman on the board available...and they take Sam Morin or Mirco Muller? I was at the draft, and would have been laughed out of that ****hole...

But like someone mentioned earlier, let's not pretend we know more than the Flyers scouting staff :laugh: The only thing to fear is whether or not the Flyers scouting staff pretends to know more than common sense and public opinion

The only one I would have been pissed off if they passed on him was Ristolainen. Other than that no one really separated themselves from the others. Morin, Nurse, and Zadarov are all really raw, and I would have had Zadarov = Morin > Nurse.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
We have got this for our Top 20 credit goes to LegionOfDoom91 and Larry44:
1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin
5. Barkov
6. Morin
7. Mueller
8. Zadorov
9. Nurse
10. Ristolainen
11. Monahan
12. Morrissey
13. Wennberg
14. Horvat
15. Lazar
16. Mantha
19. Domi

Lindholm is the only name that i believe is 100% in this top 20 that i havent identified. If someone has some time on there hands and wants to crack 17-30 that would be apreciated. Also if anyone has other names for certain numbers let me know.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin
5. Barkov
6. Morin
7. Mueller
8. Zadorov
9. Nurse
10. Ristolainen
11. Monahan
12. Morrissey
13. Wennberg
14. Horvat
15. Lazar
16. Mantha
19. Domi

Lindholm is the only name that i believe is 100% in this top 20 that i havent identified. If someone has some time on there hands and wants to crack 17-30 that would be apreciated. Also if anyone has other names for certain numbers let me know.

I think he is the guy at 17.

Adding to my post from the other thread with hockeyfreak's confirmations in Italics and my additional guesses in bold

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Lindholm
5. Barkov
6. Morin
7. Mueller
8. Zadorov
9. Nurse
10. Ristolainen
11. Monahan
12. Morrissey
13. Gauthier
14. Horvat
15. Lazar

16. Mantha
17. Pulock

19. Domi
20. Nichushkin
21. Rychel
22. De La Rose
23. McCarron
24. Hartman
25. Hagg

31. Zykov
33. Compher
41. Diaby
42. Dauphin
43. Heatherington

48. McCoshen
50. Lekhonen
51. Bjorkstrand
54. Dano
55. Baptiste
56. LaPlante

57. Lodge

65. Santini (Steve)
66. Carrier (William)
67. Gabriel (Kurtis)
76. Elie (Remi)
85. Tambellini (Adam)

97. Lindberg (Tobias)
102. Fasching (Hudson)
104. Andrighetto (Sven)
105. Salvaggio (Jason)
120. Brown (Josh)

131. Chase (Greg)
133. Crus-Rydberg (Viktor)
141. Tolchinksy (Sergei)
143. Etchegary (Kurt)
150. Clifton (Connor)

161. Lomberg (Ryan)
162. Rauhauser (Alec)
164. Cave (Colby)
165. Hart (Jayden)

Will try to add more if i can decipher this puzzle!

Here's a better list with all the changes.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin
5. Barkov
6. Morin
7. Mueller
8. Zadorov
9. Nurse
10. Ristolainen
11. Monahan
12. Morrissey
13. Wennberg
14. Horvat
15. Lazar
16. Mantha
19. Domi

Robert Hagg was not targeted as a second round possibility for the Flyers. The reason? They had him going in the first round (I won’t tell you the number, but he’s in the second row on that first page of the draft board).
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=19553&navid=DL|PHI|home

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
They had Lodge & Bjorkstrand as a second round grades but drafted Goulbourne over them at #72 in the third round. I guess they scrapped the board after the first two picks.

Not sure i agree with the Goulbourne pick as it seems Rinaldo is fitting in and doing the exact same thing but offers more

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Not sure i agree with the Goulbourne pick as it seems Rinaldo is fitting in and doing the exact same thing but offers more

What is there to be "not sure" about? I don't think I've seen a single person suggest that it was a good pick. Even if Goul works out, he's still a player you could have gotten at a later point in the draft. When you draft a guy in the 3rd round who has to catch the breaks to be Z. Rinaldo.... you dun messed up.

Poor draft management given that the success rates on picks aren't that dramatically different between rounds 2 and 3, but fall off pretty quickly thereafter. Made even worse when you go off your consensus draft board to take him. Not a huge Lodge fan, but Bjorkstrand was a no brainer at their pick.... even based on their board.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin
5. Barkov
6. Morin
7. Mueller
8. Zadorov
9. Nurse
10. Ristolainen
11. Monahan
12. Morrissey
13. Wennberg
14. Horvat
15. Lazar
16. Mantha
19. Domi

I thought Lindholm was at 4? Duno where Nikushkin is.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
They had Lodge & Bjorkstrand as a second round grades but drafted Goulbourne over them at #72 in the third round. I guess they scrapped the board after the first two picks.

That article on the Flyers website said that Goulbourne had a red dot next to his name, which means he was a guy the Flyers were primarily targeting in a certain round. My guess is that those rankings we have deciphered are not a set in stone type of thing, but rather a framework to go around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad