Game vs flyers 1 day ago

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-Gaudreau
Aston-Reese-Blueger-Sceviour

Dumoulin-Letang
Friedman-Ceci
Pettersson-Marino

So uhm.... yeah... f***ing Geno because I'm lazy. Nothing to do with players being lost on the ice.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Guess they should just scratch him, huh? Turn the clock back a few games to when they were playing crap teams like the Devils and still getting blasted for 6 goals in one period or maybe when they were playing like ass against Boston? No Malkin, there.

What, exactly, is your point?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Games like this happen. You’d prefer they not happen this close to the end of the season but in 2017 I sat and watched the Pens get absolutely punked by Chicago a week or so before the season ended. We won the Cup and they got swept in the first round.

That said, last night increased the odds we play Boston in the first round quite a bit. Not ideal.

Games like this happen to no other team....sorry but let’s call a spade a spade...no other PO teams had quite the let down like this...you won’t win them all but you show up to the fight...I’m unwilling to excuse this BS....when they lose again tonight, what will people say then?

Reactions: vodeni

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Games like this happen to no other team....sorry but let’s call a spade a spade...no other PO teams had quite the let down like this...you won’t win them all but you show up to the fight...I’m unwilling to excuse this BS....when they lose again tonight, what will people say then?

That is not remotely close to true.

Reactions: KIRK

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
The Pens really don't want to win division titles in the Crosby-Malkin era. :)

Seriously, the exact same problems that the team had at the end of each of the last three seasons, also the start of this season. No defensive structure whatsoever and lackadaisical play all around. On the bright side, at least I am not angry for the two empty nets that Zucker missed and how Kapanen somehow didn't score despite having a gazillion chances. Malkin and Kapanen still have insane chemistry, if we can find a good third wheel and figure out that D thing, we might not get swept in round 1.
I can't recall when was the last time I have seen Crosby misplay so many simple passes. He scored a nice goal but apart from that Jankowski might have been more useful. If he is injured or trying to save himself for the playoffs big time, rest him. If he keeps playing like that, at least move Guentzel or Rust to another line because he is dragging them down too. Rust can't score goals all by himself in every game. And the team will probably play much harder in Sid's absence anyway. I know it's not going to happen because hockey players insist on playing through injuries but if something is ailing him, him and Sully need to get over the stupid pride thing and let him heal a bit. Reminds me of Kessel's dumb ironman streak.

Let's see if there will be a bounce-back, we have won all first games of b2b this season, then usually played much worse in the second ones, maybe this time we will do the opposite. Just try to play f***ing structured defense, if it doesn't work at least you can say you have given it a good try. The team isn't good enough to play like the Globetrotters, no team in the NHL is. Parity and all that.

The Pens have 3 cups and 4 finals appearances in the Sid - Geno era; In none of those years did the Pens win the division. Sids a huge superstition guy, and a creature of habit...

In all seriousness though, I'm in the same, and hoping we finish 2nd and get the Caps in, too. Check off all the boxes.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Guess they should just scratch him, huh? Turn the clock back a few games to when they were playing crap teams like the Devils and still getting blasted for 6 goals in one period or maybe when they were playing like ass against Boston? No Malkin, there.

What, exactly, is your point?

The lines are a mess.

Didn't the capitals just get shutout by the penguins? Didn't really have much 'fight' in them that game.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That is not remotely close to true.

what isn’t? Go look at the scores from last night’s games....teams in PO position who lost either got a point or were tied going into the third period and lost by one or one and an EN goal...the others all took care of business and didn’t pull a no-show...no one had an outing like the Pens...the excuses for this team are BS...and we’ll hear them again when they lose tonight, even if they play better: Sid is tired/injured, Geno f**ked up the chemistry, Sully’s lines are shit, the team doesn’t care because they clinched a PO berth...[insert next excuse]...this is when you’re supposed to be gearing up for PO hockey, not no-showing

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Didn't the capitals just get shutout by the penguins? Didn't really have much 'fight' in them that game.

The Caps showed up...the Pens just played a very structured game...no way did the Caps lack effort and just let us shoot from wherever in close to their goalie compared to what the Pens put out last night...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
what isn’t? Go look at the scores from last night’s games....teams in PO position who lost either got a point or were tied going into the third period and lost by one or one and an EN goal...the others all took care of business and didn’t pull a no-show...no one had an outing like the Pens...the excuses for this team are BS...and we’ll hear them again when they lose tonight, even if they play better: Sid is tired/injured, Geno f**ked up the chemistry, Sully’s lines are shit, the team doesn’t care because they clinched a PO berth...[insert next excuse]...this is when you’re supposed to be gearing up for PO hockey, not no-showing

I see the Islanders lost to buffalo 4-2, first score I looked at.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I see the Islanders lost to buffalo 4-2, first score I looked at.

they were tied going into the third period...Sabres goalie stood on his head...actually Isles were leading going into the third...it was a tight game, Isles did not no-show

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
they were tied going into the third period...Sabres goalie stood on his head...actually Isles were leading going into the third

Most other teams didn't have their entire bottom 9 shaken up like a game of yahtzee... and also haven't added a player who hasn't played in 2 months.

----

I'm not blaming Malkin, I'm just saying the lines are screwed up like hell to get him in there. I can pull timestamp messages to my friend saying the lines will be a disaster pre-game... soon as I saw Zucker with Malkin I knew it was typical Sully stubbornness.

Chemistry is fragile... can't have guys all over the damn line-up and expect solid play... hope they get it together in the next few games.... because that is all the time there is left to get it together before getting bounced in four straight becomes a very real possibility.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Some of you gimmick guys should really up your game. Same old material for years... very boring, now. Have you guys thought about maybe incorporating some like GIFs or memes? Some visual engagement or at least some multimedia? Maybe you could post a clip of "Yakety Sax" accompanied by a video of a bunch of morons falling out of a clowncar before ya'll blow up a thread with your typical garbage?

I've been thinking about a bit where I call everyone lazy idiots while I'm actually a fat, dumb slob myself. I'll only show up in threads where the Pens lose and my spelling and grammar will gradually deteriorate until I'm just rage-spraying diarrhea into my pants. Will you help me workshop this character?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The Caps showed up...the Pens just played a very structured game...no way did the Caps lack effort and just let us shoot from wherever in close to their goalie compared to what the Pens put out last night...

I know this is your thing to be OH MY GOD WE SUCK THE SKY IS FALLING but to argue this doesn't happen to other teams because last night the Capitals won or whatever other nonsense you're basing this statement on is crazy. The Islanders have scored 0 or 1 goal in 8 different games since the start of April. Washington got blown out at home by Buffalo 2 weeks ago. It happens to everyone.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
We always play shit when a star player returns, who cares, 3 more to go before the play-off begins. I'm more worried if there is a long hiatus after the last game and the play-off starts, this team tend to sucks after long stretches without games.

How are they goingn to fit in vancouver games? They still have 10 games left, and the regular season ends, well, it should end sunday normally yes?

So there will be around 4-7 days of sitting I'd imagine.

That helps the capitals get ovechkin back... not really sure math will be back in the first round, maybe with a face mask if the situation gets dire....

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know this is your thing to be OH MY GOD WE SUCK THE SKY IS FALLING but to argue this doesn't happen to other teams because last night the Capitals won or whatever other nonsense you're basing this statement on is crazy. The Islanders have scored 0 or 1 goal in 8 different games since the start of April. Washington got blown out at home by Buffalo 2 weeks ago. It happens to everyone.

it happens earlier in the season sometimes either playing opponents you don’t give a shit about, like Caps v Sabres, or when you’re still feeling out how you want to play...it should not happen a few games before the end of the season when you want to be playing PO style hockey going into the postseason...Pens will have at least a week off between end of RS and POs so they’ll be rusty heading into the POs (longer layoff than the other three East teams)...I see zero excuses for not putting out there your PO defensive structure

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean I'm all about clowning on Sullivan's lineup choices -- they are consistently wrong-headed and thought through approximately 2/3rds of the way.

But that isn't why they lost this game. They straight up took this one off and Philly just has their number lately. You take away a guy like MM in the transition game and you are fighting that much more uphill especially the way the Penguins like to do things. I'm all about assigning some blame to the supposed Jack Adams caliber coach as he is the guy that is supposed to keep this team focused, prepared and put guys in the best positions to succeed. But this looked like a straight up mail-in, to me. I'm not saying to ignore obvious trends that are worrisome. I'm just saying it isn't nearly as simple as "Malkin is back and the lines are bad."

On a side note re: Malkin I'm just sorta watching and waiting next few games to evaluate. No reason to get too high or low until he gets his timing back. I actually thought his skating looked way better than I was expecting. If they could friggin' find it in their dumb little hearts to put ANYONE else on that LW I think there really could be some hope, there. He set Kap and that skating bad of turds up for like half a dozen chances a piece, too.

It's not ALL bad, people.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

It's just hockey tunnel vision. It's hard to watch other teams, unless you're retire or whatever your situation is allows it.

100% of hockey teams have up's and down's. Pretty wins and ugly loses.

Scrambled lines didn't help... expect a much more solid outing tonight.... I HOPE.... let the new lines get more comfortable, but there wasn't much time between last nights game and tonight.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've been thinking about a bit where I call everyone lazy idiots while I'm actually a fat, dumb slob myself. I'll only show up in threads where the Pens lose and my spelling and grammar will gradually deteriorate until I'm just rage-spraying diarrhea into my pants. Will you help me workshop this character?

Gladly!

I'm thinking of working something up along the same lines of Mr. Plinkett from RedLetterMedia. Except without the wit and cutting insight. Really lean into the basement-dwelling aesthetic. But take it to the nines like you were saying. You need a few catch phrases like "armchair betas" or something similar that you drop on everyone before grand proclamations about how much smarter you are. Lots of appeals to authority "I don't see you cucks coaching an NHL team" and the like.

You got this, man.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's not encouraging, but this team will be judged on how they perform in the playoffs. Winning big wouldn't mean much to me, so losing big doesn't mean much to me either.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
it happens earlier in the season sometimes either playing opponents you don’t give a shit about, like Caps v Sabres, or when you’re still feeling out how you want to play...it should not happen a few games before the end of the season when you want to be playing PO style hockey going into the postseason...Pens will have at least a week off between end of RS and POs so they’ll be rusty heading into the POs (longer layoff than the other three East teams)...I see zero excuses for not putting out there your PO defensive structure

I wasn't citing to things that happened to the Islanders and Capitals in January. These are things that have happened in the last few weeks.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Are you trying to tell me the guy people around here have for the Jack Adams isn't some genius, and this team's nice run was more a product of the top line playing well, Letang having a Norris-caliber season, and a bunch of games against awful teams?

Only this.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Gladly!

I'm thinking of working something up along the same lines of Mr. Plinkett from RedLetterMedia. Except without the wit and cutting insight. Really lean into the basement-dwelling aesthetic. But take it to the nines like you were saying. You need a few catch phrases like "armchair betas" or something similar that you drop on everyone before grand proclamations about how much smarter you are. Lots of appeals to authority "I don't see you cucks coaching an NHL team" and the like.

You got this, man.

Awesome. I appreciate the support. @HandshakeLine - I'd appreciate some notes from you, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad