Post-Game Talk: Flyers 7, Penguins 2 - At Least the D Scored a Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
After 4 games against Boston and Washington, a letdown of sorts was to be expected, and tonight it was against a Flyers team that treated this one like their playoffs. Just a few brief comments . . .

1. L1 got CAVED tonight. Flyers did a Perfection Line style number on them.

2. Malkin and Zucker don't fit together. Sometimes, two guys don't fit together. I mean, there's a reason you can't have anyone play with anyone. It's on the coach to accept that, because it's as ill fitting as Iginla on Malkin's LW and always has been.

3. The bad habits stepped out in a turd. Not like that didn't happen with the Rangers or Sabres over the last few weeks.

4. Matheson's absence was noticeable. He's just such a difference maker in transition . . .

5. Malkin needs to be taken off PP1, because he made Sid and Letang turn the puck over a lot.

Oh well. Burn the tape. Remember to show tomorrow. Hopefully Sullivan adjusts the lines to a mix that actually makes a little more sense (not that any Sullivan watcher would expect it).

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
PENGUINS MADE THE PLAYOFFS FOR THE 15TH YEAR IN A ROW!

giphy.gif

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I thought they'd split these 2.

But woof. They have not been good vs Philly for a while.

I can see this team winning the cup and never seeing a game 7. I can also see them getting swept in the first round.

Get 2 tomorrow.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Every team has one or two of those a season. Put it out of mind and move on. Brian Elliott is always good to see in the opposing net when you need a win, so hopefully he gets the start tomorrow.

L1's continued struggles are the only thing I have significant concerns about at the moment.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
PENGUINS MADE THE PLAYOFFS FOR THE 15TH YEAR IN A ROW!

giphy.gif

Where the hell did you get live video of Zucker trying to take a pass in the neutral zone?

EDIT: BFD, to be clear, it's not even about the individuals. Much as I like to poke fun, it goes beyond that. Sometimes guys don't fit. A coach either accepts it or doesn't, and if it's the latter, then you get into Iginla-Malkin-Neal issues. But, beyond that, it's absolutely wild to me that coach wants to get Malkin acclimated and into a groove and his brainstorm is to put Zucker with him. Wow . . . :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
MM's absence really is big, I think. I mean... not nearly big enough to account for that shitshow but still.

lol in advance to the people thrashing on the guy who just came back after 20some games and had to carry a spastic boat anchor around all game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I thought they'd split these 2.

But woof. They have not been good vs Philly for a while.

I can see this team winning the cup and never seeing a game 7. I can also see them getting swept in the first round.

Get 2 tomorrow.

Issues have been there all season.

# 1. GCR getting too cute instead of playing simple. We are heading for Boston Bruins country. They’ll get absolutely ripped if they try to pull that shit.

# 2. PK. Sucks balls. No adjustments. No change of personnel. Nothing. We are heading for Boston Bruins country. They’ll get absolutely ripped if they try to pull that shit.

# 3. Zucker as a prime example of sticking with lines regardless of them working. If we don’t have a functioning middle six Hall - Krejci - Smith is going to rip us.

# 4. Team not staying committed after injury returns. This team just sucks when we get a healthy roster. It’s becoming a big concern.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fact: the Penguins are 29-13-2 with Matheson in the lineup, while they're 5-3-1 without him in the lineup
Logical conclusion: Matheson is essential for the Penguins being good

:sarcasm:

Shit game, not going to dwell on it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I just didn't like the hot takes in the GDT. With a couple exceptions it's as if you don't know this teams history or habits.

BTW that Boston Caps game at the end of the season could decide our fate a bit. We're likely to finish 3rd. Gotta hope the bruins win out I guess.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
++++++ I missed the entire game.

Lucky me.

However, the question I have is did Malkin coming back upset the chemistry? I worried about that. The Pens were so in sync.

Or was it just one of those nights that all teams go through?

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Didn't get to watch, but my thought looking at the lineup was Zucker needs to stay with Carter.

Other than that, a) by all means, keep this team from being complacent
b) the Flyers also missed the memo they're trying for a higher draft pick at this point.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is literally no reason not to try some kind of change to the lines.

Zucker Sid Kapanen
Jake Malkin Rust
McCann Blueger Carter
ZAR Gaudreau Lafferty/Sceviour

The Penguins are 10-2-1 in their last 13 games before tonight.

Yes, there are plenty of reasons to not screw with the lineup that has been working really well.

Reactions: Doogle

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
++++++ I missed the entire game.

Lucky me.

However, the question I have is did Malkin coming back upset the chemistry? I worried about that. The Pens were so in sync.

Or was it just one of those nights that all teams go through?

Malkin was awful, but so was the entire team outside of a 1 or 2 minute burst after we went up 4-2 until Farabee schooled Rust.

Reactions: Angrrus

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Where the hell did you get live video of Zucker trying to take a pass in the neutral zone?

EDIT: BFD, to be clear, it's not even about the individuals. Much as I like to poke fun, it goes beyond that. Sometimes guys don't fit. A coach either accepts it or doesn't, and if it's the latter, then you get into Iginla-Malkin-Neal issues. But, beyond that, it's absolutely wild to me that coach wants to get Malkin acclimated and into a groove and his brainstorm is to put Zucker with him. Wow . . . :laugh:
Are you trying to tell me the guy people around here have for the Jack Adams isn't some genius, and this team's nice run was more a product of the top line playing well, Letang having a Norris-caliber season, and a bunch of games against awful teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad