Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Pens 1 - The Kevin Bacon Edition

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think the Pens have the expendable assets to get back into the first round. The vets that should be unloaded don't carry that kind of value, and the youngsters likely aren't proven enough for a team to bother trading a 1st round pick in a deep draft for.

Only assets the Pens have that will land them a 1st round pick this year are the ones we wouldn't want to see dealt.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think the Pens have the expendable assets to get back into the first round. The vets that should be unloaded don't carry that kind of value, and the youngsters likely aren't proven enough for a team to bother trading a 1st round pick in a deep draft for.

Only assets the Pens have that will land them a 1st round pick this year are the ones we wouldn't want to see dealt.

Yup, and that should really tell you something about our asset management...

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The Pittsburgh Penguins faced off against their inter-state rivals last night, the Philadelphia Flyers and continued their atrocious record at the Consol Energy Center. The Flyers are now 13-2-1 since the Consol Energy Center opened and have outscored the Penguins in that stretch 63-45. Even when they're eliminated from play-off contention they managed to perform better than the Penguins.

One of the big sticking points is that the Penguins are playing with five defenseman at the moment due to the recent injury to Kris Letang in the past game and the absence of Ehrhoff. Per NHL CBA rules as they are so close to the cap they have to play one game with a man short before they can call someone up on the league minimum. This means that before the game against Columbus, Taylor Chorney should be called up.

Read more;http://t.co/V8VREMJT7t

I don't have much hope for this off-season.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Downie is part of the solution, too, which makes it difficult. He's going to be a guy who doesn't get re-signed next year and it's a damn shame.
Yup. It is going to be another big sign this Summer that our GM's don't know what they are doing. (or more accurately and disturbing, they know and actually think their vision can win)

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
The problem is that everything needs to built around Crosby. The ****ing poster boy, even the seat amount is done after him. This is what is wrong with American sports and especially Penguings that I have loved and followed for almost 20 years. The Star Fandom.

Trade Crosby for 7 different players. But you can't.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
The problem is that everything needs to built around Crosby. The ****ing poster boy, even the seat amount is done after him. This is what is wrong with American sports and especially Penguings that I have loved and followed for almost 20 years. The Star Fandom.

I wish the team was actually built around Crosby.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Let me change that a bit, we NEED Lawson Crouse.

ETA: Lol, it would be our luck that we miss the playoffs and our pick turns into #1 OV. Then Perron for McDavid will go down as the Penguins 2nd worst all time trade. Behind Despres for Lovejoy of course.

Naslund for Stojanov will always be #1 in Pens history for ******** trades. Amplify the Despres hate x1000.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow

I WISH the team was built around Sid and Geno. When's the last time they both had good wingers at the same time??!!

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Naslund for Stojanov will always be #1 in Pens history for ******** trades. Amplify the Despres hate x1000.

it was a bad trade,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I have to give them a pass because no one could foresee stojanov being hurt. while the fatty trade anyone could see it sucked.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I wish Geno could stay healthy. Dude is a constant 10-20 absecence per season.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wish Geno could stay healthy. Dude is a constant 10-20 absecence per season.

If anyone on this team could stay healthy.... so far the only "iron mans" are Spaling and Scuds.

Real possibility we end the season with 97 points.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Yup, and that should really tell you something about our asset management...

I don't disagree, but it's time for some hard decisions. Trade Fleury. Trade Letang. Those two are going to get you back inside the first round. Force teams to accept Kunitz/Scuderi as part of the deal(s).

The only way to get out of this hole we're in is to draft/develop our way out.

And if done right away, perhaps you'll still have Malkin/Crosby in their prime years (albeit it the tail end) so that we can aspire to another Cup...maybe.

But first things first...stripping it down.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't disagree, but it's time for some hard decisions. Trade Fleury. Trade Letang. Those two are going to get you back inside the first round. Force teams to accept Kunitz/Scuderi as part of the deal(s).

And if done right away, perhaps you'll still have Malkin/Crosby in their prime years (albeit it the tail end) so that we can aspire to another Cup...maybe.

Trading Fleury doesn't help us right now. He's the least of our worries. We don't have the replacements for Letang. If Martin and Ehrhoff weren't so old and still signed, maybe. But Maatta is injured and we traded Despres for Lovejoy. Without Letang we'd have something like:

Maatta-Pouliot
Lovejoy-Harrington
Scuderi-Dumoulin

That's not gonna cut it. I assume we'd sign a FA...but even then...

Unless we can do a Brent Burns+1st for Letang+Bennett type deal under the condition that the 1st gets us Crouse.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Sure lets draft and develop our way out.
IF WE DO A GOOD JOB, By the time Crosby and Malking are say 32, we might have some decent wingers.

Stop trolling.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Trading Fleury doesn't help us right now. He's the least of our worries. We don't have the replacements for Letang. If Martin and Ehrhoff weren't so old and still signed, maybe. But Maatta is injured and we traded Despres for Lovejoy. Without Letang we'd have something like:

Maatta-Pouliot
Lovejoy-Harrington
Scuderi-Dumoulin

That's not gonna cut it. I assume we'd sign a FA...but even then...

Unless we can do a Brent Burns+1st for Letang+Bennett type deal under the condition that the 1st gets us Crouse.

Not gonna cut it for what, exactly?

We need to take two steps back in order to take four steps forward. The attitude here needs to change. Forget all-in, forget about picks for rentals.

We need a whole new approach.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

another insightful, well-constructed post from a Jan 2015 registrant.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs

Not saying I completely agree with you (Fleury and especially Letang are not easily replaceable) but I understand where you are coming from.

Our cross-state rivals seem to be taking that approach- they've traded Hartnell, Coburn, Timmonen, etc recently and gotten a lot of picks back. As of right now, the Flyers have 7 of the first 99 picks in the 2015 NHL entry draft. The Penguins have 1.
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2015/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not gonna cut it for what, exactly?

We need to take two steps back in order to take four steps forward. The attitude here needs to change. Forget all-in, forget about picks for rentals.

We need a whole new approach.

I don't disagree, what I'm saying is that trading Fleury doesn't help the solution. Even during a rebuild, you need stability in net to be successful. There are A LOT of rebuilding teams that wish they had what Fleury is bringing us right now. Admittingly, I need to bite my tongue before I see him in the playoffs.

I would like to see a 3-4 year plan.

Year 1 - cut the fat and make some hard decisions on the future of players here.

Specifically:

Kunitz
Scuderi
Sutter
Dupuis
Bennett

Spaling is a decent enough bottom 6 player I would be okay keeping him however if there's a trade that needs a throw in, he's gonzo.

Ideally we can sign some younger free agents, a top 4 dman, and Sundqvist slots into the line up. We resign Comeau, Downie, Lapierre to ideally one even two year deals. We look for a combination of picks and a younger top 6 wing out of the trades. Even a deal that brings Sharp here would be okay as he's only signed through next year. We use the picks to gain at least 1 decent forward prospect. I would even support sending Sutter away for picks as well as Scuds and using what picks we do have to move up. Kapanen gets call up games. Dumoulin gets 6/7 time. Harrington gets to be 1st call up.

Letang-Maatta
Lovejoy-Petry
Pouliot-XXXXX
Dumo-Harrington

Run:

Sharp-Sid-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Comeau
Downie-Sundqvist-Spaling/Bennett
XXXXX-Lapierre-Farnham

XXXX can be Spaling or the young free agent we are able to sign. Example: Panarin slots into Comeau's spot, Comeau takes 4LW.

Year 2:

Kapanen becomes a Top 6 full time forward. Harrington becomes a full time dman. We trade Lovejoy away or keep as a #5/6. The wing we drafted gets call up games. Sharp is not resigned. Decisions on bottom 6 are based on WBS players such as Wilson and available free agents and camp job wins. Ideally, we keep 1st round pick sans a major upgrade. Draft a center or wing.

Kapanen-Sid-Horny
Perron-Malkin-Wing
XXXX-Sundqvist-XXXX
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-Petry
Harrington-Dumoulin

Year 3: We look at the effectiveness of Hornqvist who is now in a contract year and how he compares to the drafted wing who had been getting call up games who is now maybe a 3rd line wing fighting for a top 6 spot. The drafted center or wing may get 3rd line or 4th line time. The signed wing a decision is made on whether or not to keep him based on play and the other 2 wings abilities to step in.

Defense remains relatively unchanged sans new partners based on play.

At this point, we have a good mix of vets (Sid, Malkin, Horny, Perron, Letang, and Maatta) and a good mix of youth (Kappy, Sundqvist, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumo, signed wing, two drafted wings/center).

We may even sign a Downie or Comeau type player if they are available at a good price. This takes up a bottom 6 spot and makes fighting for a spot that much more important to the younger guys. One thing that is maintained is the ability to have options throughout the line up. Take Minnesota right now for example. Coyle and Nino are on their 3rd line but BOTH are more than capable of top 6 time. That's what I would like. If top 6 players slip...hey sorry Perron, you haven't scored in a couple games, so and so is gonna take time with Geno this game.

Right now we don't have that luxury...at all. We need the top 6 capable players in the top 6.

Oh yeah, in this scenario, we have a new coach. :)

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Trade letang lol.. get a grip. You'd better hope maattas skating proficiency grows by leaps and bounds next year if you do that.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Changing faces will only do so much. They did that last year.

The Pens need a culture change. They need to rethink their stance on winning hockey and competing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad