Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Pens 1 - The Kevin Bacon Edition

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I really despise Lovejoy, I recognize its not entirley his fault. its not his fault they traded for him. its not his faut they traded Simon for him. Its not his fault that the organization is enamoured with him. But i do hate him for it.

It's also not his fault he fits the Anaheim defense better. Honestly. He was a solid built guy for that team and how they play. Our defensive system is so bad and the forwards do not play the team game like Anaheim does.

Anaheim is the perfect place for him. I bet you deep down he is even not happy about being back.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
Is it just me or does anyone else think Jason Botterill needs fired yesterday? This guy has been touted as a 'cap guru' and low and behold we are dressing five defensemen because we are in a cap catastrophe. I don't care how many injuries there are, this is completely unacceptable, a true embarrassment. This is like a doctor missing an obvious diagnosis or an architect forgetting elevator shafts in a skyscraper (this actually happened). Just another broken piece in rusted, POS machine I guess.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
So the pens could only get one goal against one of the worse Ds in all of hockey. But the flys got 4 goals against what the PGH media thinks is a solid group of Ds led by Scuds speaks volumes of how fast the pens will exit the playoffs this year. Injuries are no excuse. If the pens don't insert youth into this team at the expense of some slow footed players, this board will be singing the same tune next year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The team sucked before, during, and after the Despres trade. Jesus Christ, give it up already. Simon Despres' presence on this team wasn't gonna change the fact that they just aren't very good. But keep *****ing up a storm about it if it makes yinz feel better.

Despres is 23. Lovejoy is 31. The fact that this team sucked before, during, and after the trade proves why the trade was bad. You traded a younger cost controlled player for a guy that will be in his prime for maybe another 4 years. And the younger guy is probably (definitely) a better player now. We aren't *****ing about it just because of this season, but about the next 10 years.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is it just me or does anyone else think Jason Botterill needs fired yesterday? This guy has been touted as a 'cap guru' and low and behold we are dressing five defensemen because we are in a cap catastrophe. I don't care how many injuries there are, this is completely unacceptable, a true embarrassment. This is like a doctor missing an obvious diagnosis or an architect forgetting elevator shafts in a skyscraper (this actually happened). Just another broken piece in rusted, POS machine I guess.

That's like firing a department manager because some of his guys get sick and all the work can't get done.

While frustrating, I don't blame him. I blame him for a lot...but the unfortunate string of injuries I do not.

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme. We will make the playoffs, doesn't matter where we get seeded, will lose in the first round. I really don't see any scenario where we win against NYI, NYR, or WAS. I just hope it's close and not embarrassing so we don't have to deal with an entire summer of "ZOMG, NYI won against PIT, does this mean Tavaras >>>>>>>> Sid? Is Okposo >>>>>>>>>> Malkin!?" "Does this definitively prove that Nash >>>>>>>>>>>>> Sid+Geno?" :shakehead

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Man, geno not playing a full season since 2008. Anybody think his body is going to fall apart sooner than later?

Going to?

I love Malkin so this has been so hard to see. Malkin will end up rivaling Crosby in the "might have been" department.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

him, and a few others.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I really despise Lovejoy, I recognize its not entirley his fault. its not his fault they traded for him. its not his faut they traded Simon for him. Its not his fault that the organization is enamoured with him. But i do hate him for it.

lovejoy is a great guy, love to have him as a neighbor. direct your hate where it belongs upper management.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
and us for letting them walk for nothing. ............. still pissed.

Nisky and Orpik both went to the Caps...when Reirden went so I believe they liked him quite well and perhaps were not happy with the coaches getting the boot.

Wonder if we would have even had the chance to resign Niskanen even if we wanted to...?

ETA: Wrong thread.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Downie is going to hurt this team come playoff time. He basically gets near guys when they fall down or gives a love tap and the arm goes up. MJ needs to give him fourth line minutes and hope in those limited minutes he doesn't get 2 for being Downie.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Nisky and Orpik both went to the Caps...when Reirden went so I believe they liked him quite well and perhaps were not happy with the coaches getting the boot.

Wonder if we would have even had the chance to resign Niskanen even if we wanted to...?

Thought about this yesterday:

Perron-Sid-Hornqvist
XXXX-Malkin-XXXX
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Those are the only for sure keepers as far as I can tell.

Trade Sutter+Bennett+5th to Arizona for Hanzal+2nd

Trade our 2nd+ARI 2nd+Harrington to move up to #5 OV. Select Lawson Crouse.

Bring up Sundqvist. Sign Tikhonov and Panarin. Resign Downie and Winnik. Trade Spaling for additional picks for the deal if needed.

Perron-Sid-Hornqvist
XXXX-Malkin-Panarin
Sundqvist-Hanzal-Downie
Winnik-Lapierre-Tikhonov

Other XXXX's can be Comeau, Spaling, Kapanen, Crouse if ready, Farnham...
my guess would be perron with geno....his style seems to fit better. but that seems to just be me.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I hate everything about this team right now. Yes, they are in the playoffs, that means nothing. There is no chemisty in the lines, none whatsoever, NONE. They shoot from the sideboards because that is the only option.

The Sidney Crosby& Malkin-philosophy destroys this team. All the other players think they will do all the scoring work, while the need ****ING SUPPORT.

so frustrating, yes lets trade Despres we should do nothing else.

You might have players like Ovechkin who only score, but as you can see it takes them nowhere.

This is not Lemieux-era anymore, can you MJ&JR ****ing read this, IT IS NOT PLAYER ERA ANYMORE?

cant' believe you are so mentally challenged, let's be CP.

Last edited:

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Man, geno not playing a full season since 2008. Anybody think his body is going to fall apart sooner than later?

Ever player acquired must play with Sidney Crosby or you have a blowhard like Madden whining. Looks like they will never find the right skill and muscle to help Geno and protect him. What a waste of a great talent by a very clueless organization.;)

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Was happy to hear the fans booed them off the ice. Was well deserved and they needed to hear it. Now we need a Moorehouse sucks chant going all playoff long (our only 2 playoff home games)

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
This offseason I think we should acquire more vet D. No one physical either. Re-sign Adams too. :)

This offseason will be the same as the past ones. We will complain how things didn't go our way.

NOTHING WILL CHANGE AGAIN

And we watch other teams get better and younger at the draft again, while we keep trading away young assets and picks for garbage because "Sid and Geno are in their prime"

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This offseason I think we should acquire more vet D. No one physical either. Re-sign Adams too. :)

Resign Lovejoy to a $5mil/5 yr. Resign Adams 3yr, $1mil per. Let Comeau, Downie, and Lapierre go. Trade for Harrington for Vitale. Sign Brunner and see if Setoguchi or Raymond are available to sign. Trade Hornqvist for Semin.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Resign Lovejoy to a $5mil/5 yr. Resign Adams 3yr, $1mil per. Let Comeau, Downie, and Lapierre go. Trade for Harrington for Vitale. Sign Brunner and see if Setoguchi or Raymond are available to sign. Trade Hornqvist for Semin.

If this all would happen, I guaranty that the Pens would take the cup in the next 5 seasons.

IMO, Adams should get a 5 yr. deal at Kunitz wages.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Downie is going to hurt this team come playoff time. He basically gets near guys when they fall down or gives a love tap and the arm goes up. MJ needs to give him fourth line minutes and hope in those limited minutes he doesn't get 2 for being Downie.

Downie is part of the solution, too, which makes it difficult. He's going to be a guy who doesn't get re-signed next year and it's a damn shame.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Despres horse is getting beaten into the ground worse than Tangradi, Jordan Staal, and Crosby's wingers combined.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Ever player acquired must play with Sidney Crosby or you have a blowhard like Madden whining. Looks like they will never find the right skill and muscle to help Geno and protect him. What a waste of a great talent by a very clueless organization.;)

Like when they acquired Neal and he played with Malkin? Or like when they acquired Iginla and he played with Malkin? Meanwhile that whole time Sid was stuck with K-C-D.:help:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Only difference I see in Lovejoy then and now is that he went from a #8 d-man to a solid #6.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The Despres horse is getting beaten into the ground worse than Tangradi, Jordan Staal, and Crosby's wingers combined.

So you don't see that move as a symptom to a much larger institutional problem that's plagued the organization for years?

Or are you looking at it from a simpleton's point of view that "DESPRES WON'T WIN YOU A STANLEY CUP!!!" like the media who covers the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad