Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Pens 1 - The Kevin Bacon Edition

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So you don't see that move as a symptom to a much larger institutional problem that's plagued the organization for years?

Or are you looking at it from a simpleton's point of view that "DESPRES WON'T WIN YOU A STANLEY CUP!!!" like the media who covers the team?

No, I absolutely believe that trading Despres was a mistake, and that it is a symptom of a larger issue that has been plaguing this organization for years.

There's just only so many times you can say it before it starts to become useless noise. This board is 99% in agreement about Despres - there's no need to bring it up every single day.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So you don't see that move as a symptom to a much larger institutional problem that's plagued the organization for years?

Or are you looking at it from a simpleton's point of view that "DESPRES WON'T WIN YOU A STANLEY CUP!!!" like the media who covers the team?

Only difference I see in Lovejoy then and now is that he went from a #8 d-man to a solid #6.

The amount of truth here is quite scary. No one wants to be told that a team with Mario Lemieux as the owner and Crosby and Malkin as its all star players has deep rooted faults.

Downie is part of the solution, too, which makes it difficult. He's going to be a guy who doesn't get re-signed next year and it's a damn shame.

Indeed. Doesn't totally excuse some of the penalties he takes but there is definite work to be done on his game. In the same way that Cooke could be a great 3rd liner if he cut the cheap shots out of his game, Downie could be a great 3rd liner for us if he cut out the retaliation penalties and the gabbing to the refs. Looking at the next season coming up, I don't think his penalties would absolutely detour me from resigning him. Would they detour me from resigning to a 5yr $3mil/yr deal, yes. Another year at $1mil or 1.5mil, done deal. No brainer.

The Despres horse is getting beaten into the ground worse than Tangradi, Jordan Staal, and Crosby's wingers combined.

Staalkin vs 3C Model and Tangradi were all out wars on here for awhile. Despres is quite the battle himself and will reach those levels in due time however. I was correct on both of the Staal and Tangradi arguments though...:) Just made those against me that much funnier :laugh:

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
No, I absolutely believe that trading Despres was a mistake, and that it is a symptom of a larger issue that has been plaguing this organization for years.

There's just only so many times you can say it before it starts to become useless noise. This board is 99% in agreement about Despres - there's no need to bring it up every single day.

The problem with this franchise is a very simple one. Players run the show and the authority over them is very limited, which is why this temporary 3 headed GM clown act needs to be replaced as well as hiring a Head Coach that will demand the total respect and obedience of all players. Mike Babcock might be looking for a dual GM/Head Coach position this summer.;)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Downie is going to hurt this team come playoff time. He basically gets near guys when they fall down or gives a love tap and the arm goes up. MJ needs to give him fourth line minutes and hope in those limited minutes he doesn't get 2 for being Downie.

He's their best offensive weapon in the bottom 6. They need to take the risk if they want a shot at actually getting a goal from the 3rd or 4th lines.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
I'm glad the team got booed, but we all know that it's business as usual this summer regardless of how badly the team does in the playoffs. This team needs drastic changes in philosophy, and with the people in charge at the moment fuhgeddaboudit. This may be true even if they miss the playoffs, since the entire management team is absolutely convinced that their way works, despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

I fully expected a no-show against the Flyers because... well, we can't ever beat them at home. Hopefully their % chance of drafting McSavior takes a hit as a result.

Oh well, I'll still be watching... at least for parts of the games. When they go into no-show mode it's pretty grueling to pay attention to. The Pens have always been like this to a certain degree, but these past couple of years they've been far worse in the "give a****" category. IMO.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

The Despres noise isn't going away. That trade is symptomatic for all that ills this team.

He's their best offensive weapon in the bottom 6. They need to take the risk if they want a shot at actually getting a goal from the 3rd or 4th lines.

Winnik, Comeau and Kunitz are all vying for a top six spot. One of those guys will be pushed to the third line, and that should push Downie to the fourth.

I really love his game, but he gets so ****ed over by the refs, he is bound to cost them a game or series come playoff time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Winnik, Comeau and Kunitz are all vying for a top six spot. One of those guys will be pushed to the third line, and that should push Downie to the fourth.

I really love his game, but he gets so ****ed over by the refs, he is bound to cost them a game or series come playoff time.

If I had a say, I'd roll:

Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist (sprinkle in mandatory Kunitz time with Sid)
Perron-Malkin-Comeau (Comeau needs to wake up, but I think it will come)
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Lapierre-Bennett

They aren't going to play Bennett on the third line, so put Downie there. Maybe alternate shifts there. I understand the risk with Downie, but he is one of the only guys that can create a scoring chance on his own. He needs to play a big role for them to be successful in the playoffs. If that's 4th line and 2nd PP time, fine, but he shouldn't really be sheltered.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If I had a say, I'd roll:

Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist (sprinkle in mandatory Kunitz time with Sid)
Perron-Malkin-Comeau (Comeau needs to wake up, but I think it will come)
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Lapierre-Bennett

They aren't going to play Bennett on the third line, so put Downie there. Maybe alternate shifts there. I understand the risk with Downie, but he is one of the only guys that can create a scoring chance on his own. He needs to play a big role for them to be successful in the playoffs. If that's 4th line and 2nd PP time, fine, but he shouldn't really be sheltered.

I would be okay with that.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Can we ever beat the Flyers at home?

I saw a rumbling that the Pens were booed at the end?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The Despres horse is getting beaten into the ground worse than Tangradi, Jordan Staal, and Crosby's wingers combined.

and deservedly so.....this has to be the worst pen's trade ever....right next to the time our gm. traded for rod schutt, when he thought he was trading for steve schutt. at least he admitted he screwed up. so you had hope that it wouldn't happen again.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The Despres noise isn't going away. That trade is symptomatic for all that ills this team.

The penalty for the love tap near the bench last night was absurd, but it's not the first time he's gotten called for something like that this year. However, the team has so many other issues that in a short series, any trumped-up calls going against him won't be the only the thing that costs them a series.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Agreed the despres trade talk is tiring. Everyone here agrees it was a bad move and has outlined the past/present/future ramifications ad museum. What more is there to say

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Is it wrong to want Washington, Boston and Ottawa to win tonight and us to fall into the wild card spots?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Is it wrong to want Washington, Boston and Ottawa to win tonight and us to fall into the wild card spots?

Nah. I want us to miss the playoffs. I think it's the only way the organization really opens its eyes to the issues with this team. I'd rather miss the playoffs and begin the fixing process than to get in just to get our ***** kicked, and have the excuse factory working at maximum capacity. "Injuries! Transition year! Didn't get the bounces! We really like the state of this team moving forward!"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I want the Pens to at least feel the heat of potentially missing the playoffs. The arrogance in this organization needs to be brought down a peg or two.

And if I'm being honest, because of that arrogance, because of how the guys running this organization conduct business, I wouldn't shed a tear if the Pens actually missed the playoffs. Not like they'll go anywhere anyway with that sad sack defense and horrible offensive depth. But maybe, just maybe, the organization might have to take a long look at how they run things if they actually miss out on their cash cow (ie. playoff revenue).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah, it would be a great eye opener if we missed the playoffs, and I suppose if neither Letang nor Malkin returns it's POSSIBLE.

However, we play the Sabres on the final day of the regular season. In a scenario where we HAVE to win the game to make the playoffs, and where the Sabres HAVE to lose to secure the last place overall position, there's just no way we would lose that one.

So basically, we need to be out of the playoff positions BEFORE next Sunday. That's almost going to be impossible.

But we certainly deserve to be sent home before the postseason this year, that's for sure.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Nah. I want us to miss the playoffs. I think it's the only way the organization really opens its eyes to the issues with this team. I'd rather miss the playoffs and begin the fixing process than to get in just to get our ***** kicked, and have the excuse factory working at maximum capacity. "Injuries! Transition year! Didn't get the bounces! We really like the state of this team moving forward!"

Missing the playoffs this year SHOULD be the catalyst for a good house cleaning this off-season. And really, nobody should be off limits if it improves the team. But then for this to happen, ownership has to bring in a capable management team.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
This team doesn't have a 1st round pick so what exactly is the benefit of missing the playoffs? Do you think 2 playoff home games are that important to the bottom line that it will wake up ownership?

They would just chalk up missing the playoffs to injuries anyways, and it would be business as usual.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We NEED to get back into the first round, and preferably add a third or fourth rounder too.

This draft is too good to squander this opportunity. I'd like to think missing the playoffs or being knocked out early would be the impetus to make significant change.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We NEED to get back into the first round, and preferably add a third or fourth rounder too.

This draft is too good to squander this opportunity. I'd like to think missing the playoffs or being knocked out early would be the impetus to make significant change.

Let me change that a bit, we NEED Lawson Crouse.

ETA: Lol, it would be our luck that we miss the playoffs and our pick turns into #1 OV. Then Perron for McDavid will go down as the Penguins 2nd worst all time trade. Behind Despres for Lovejoy of course.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I still don't regret giving up the 1st for Perron, but I would absolutely love it if we could find a way back into the first round. Would be extremely important for this team's prospect pool.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Agreed the despres trade talk is tiring. Everyone here agrees it was a bad move and has outlined the past/present/future ramifications ad museum. What more is there to say

I think that each time this team ***** the bed, that comes up because it is so indicative of the issues we currently have, and have had for years.

I propose instead of talking constantly about Despres and the bad trade, we satisfy both camps by using it as it is subconsciously currently being used by many, as a verb.

When the Pens **** up against the Flyers, it no longer is ****ing up, it is Despresing against the Flyers. When the Adams ****s up a play, it no longer is ****ing up, it is Despresing. The sports media in this town just Despres's all over the place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad