Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4, Pens 0 - Kunitz for Selke

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
"There's no chance Kunitz is in the top 6 when healthy."

Am I losing it? Did I hallucinate a few weeks ago when Kunitz was on Crosby's line when Bryan Rust was the only injured forward?

So when did Kunitz spend time on the 4th and 3rd lines this year?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Whatever people project Sullivan to do when we don't have a single injured scoring line player in Magical Happy Land, we should be concerned about where Kunitz will be if we're not 100% healthy, because we're always injured and the coach has used him as the next man up pretty much every single time one of our established top 6ers is out.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
At the risk of sounding like one of these suicidal posters over 1 bad game, I'd like to say that Kunitz had IMO his worst game yesterday.

I'm not really a Kunitz basher. He's been the scapegoat for years, even when it was undeserved. But yesterday he was a liability. Turn overs, no hustle or skating, no offensive support. Can't even screen the goalie on the PP like he used to. I don't know why he has an A.

I really hope he gets benched during the playoffs because he can't handle anything above a 4th liner minimal role. He's approaching Scuderi and Melichar territory.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
A was a bad game fore sure, but long trip 7 out of 10 pts and we lost what a player in each game with injury?

At this point and in the last month, I just want these injuries to stop and for us to get healthy.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
So when did Kunitz spend time on the 4th and 3rd lines this year?

Kunitz has spent far more time in the top 6 than on the 4th line this year. In fact, every time Kunitz gets demoted he quickly finds his way back in the top 6.

Sheary came back and Sullivan moved him to his off side to keep Kunitz with Crosby. If you think Sullivan won't entertain the idea of using Kunitz in the top 6 when healthy, then I can only conclude that you believe Sullivan is going to change his stance on Kunitz out of nowhere.

Sullivan believes he is a good player and a viable top 6 option when healthy. Sullivan's actions this year prove that. You can believe it is not the case, but you would be lying to yourself.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
You hit the nail on the head. It's all panic over 1 game. It's not like the defensive zone coverage, breakouts, and usage of Kunitz have been issues all year.:sarcasm:

I don't know how the D zone coverage differs from the playoffs last year, but I will say the players just need rest. It's unrealistic to expect all the players to perform at a high level for 82 games plus playoffs. This isn't baseball.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Kunitz has spent far more time in the top 6 than on the 4th line this year. In fact, every time Kunitz gets demoted he quickly finds his way back in the top 6.

Sheary came back and Sullivan moved him to his off side to keep Kunitz with Crosby. If you think Sullivan won't entertain the idea of using Kunitz in the top 6 when healthy, then I can only conclude that you believe Sullivan is going to change his stance on Kunitz out of nowhere.

Sullivan believes he is a good player and a viable top 6 option when healthy. Sullivan's actions this year prove that. You can believe it is not the case, but you would be lying to yourself.

Maybe Crosby personally requests/demands Kunitz be his defacto plan B winger? Maybe while 3-4 top 9 wingers are injured Kunitz is the only realistic option to play top 6?

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Some of you need to slow your roll...

It's not "panic" over one game, it's noticing a pattern of poor line construction, poor defensive play by EVERYONE, and a garbage PP.

People don't seem to notice or care so long as they are winning. All is good in their eyes so long as the Ws are piling up. But it goes deeper than that. Having two of the best players in the league in the team will allow you to pull wins out of your *** when you really have no business getting the victory. If one or both of them engage beast mode in any given game the can single handidly will the team to a win despite the team as a whole looking like ****.

There is such a thing as a good loss or a bad win. Unfortunately, bad wins tend to lead to the coaching staff keeping the status quo going. As long as they win, nothing changes. Sid was looking frustrated and disinterested while Kunitz was on his line but Sully kept slotting him there. The moment Sheary is out back on the line with Sid and Jake, BOOM, instant production. So what does Sully do? Cram Kunitz onto Malkin's line...

Yeah, I know, Hagelin is out so they had to do something but Kunitz wasn't the answer and seldom ever is. Geno was on a tear when HMK was together. He was flying around all over the ice and just beasting out every night. So Kuni get out there and now Geno is looking the same way Sid did when he was dragging him down, frustrated and bored.

Kessel is who he is in the regular season and he is no doubt suffering from Kunitz Syndrome right now but he is having issues of his own right now. It can't all be attributed to Kuni. He is fumbling the puck a lot, refusing to shoot, he looks slow at times...

Injuries suck and are affecting the team but there is literally no reason why Kunitz keeps getting rammed into the top 6 when it is painfully obvious to anyone with an operational frontal lobe that he is killing whichever line he is on...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Are you serious right now?

Sid and Guentzel were getting called out left and right in that GDT. Kunitz is switched out for Hornqvist and miraculously they start playing great hockey. It's as plain as day, and as precipitous and pronounced as the drop from HMK to KMK.

Cole argued with me at the end of that Canes game. Knowing what kind of a poster he is, I'd be shocked if he felt the same after what we've seen subsequently. Look at the Kessel thread. He understands the Kunitz effect now. Maybe you will someday too.

So..why do you think Crosby and Guentzel were "sucking" during the Canes game until the precise moment of that line switch?

You're missing the entire point, which is that Crosby and Guentzel - two players known for their work ethic and hockey IQ - look like crap with Kunitz and then like greased lightning during the same game as soon as he's removed. And Malkin and Kessel look fantastic with Hagelin - a player who's struggled this year by any standard but who has speed and determination to burn - and then struggle at ES with Kunitz.

If CK can bring down all-around talents like Crosby and Guentzel, expecting a winger who's never been great at boardwork or defense to pick up his slack is ridiculous.

I'm not missing your point. I just disagree with it. Whatever though, I'm getting tired of appearing to defend Kunitz. I think Kunitz sucks now so we agree on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad