The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Trade Winds? Bruins are all ears

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
And that’s the problem with Anderson. He is one year from UFA. He ain’t gonna sign something long term unless you are paying the price for a physical 25+ goal scorer. He has been on low money deals his whole career getting strong armed by the Jackets. He wants to get PAID. So are you going to pay a high price for him and sign him to a long term deal? Sounds risky as f***. Are you gonna pay a high price for him and sign him for 1 year and then possibly see him walk in UFA? Sounds risky as f***.

Nevermind the fact he is less than a year younger than Lucic was when we traded him. Do you want to be on the other side of that deal? I sure don’t.
This sounds like a deal that Sweeney and company won't be able to resist.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
In his latest article, The Athletic's Craig Custance lists 22 players who could be on the move this offseason.

One Bruin made the list:

19. Brandon Carlo, Boston Bruins: This is admittedly a bit of a longshot. He’s 23 years old and a right-shot top-four defenseman. Those players are at a premium. The Bruins are getting calls on him but aren’t actively looking to move him. If he gets traded, it’s part of a major deal that brings a legitimate top-six forward back or a similarly talented (and aged) left-shot defenseman. Those aren’t easy deals to make. “I’d be shocked (if they traded Carlo),” said a rival executive. “They’re going to be fascinating to watch. They’re going for it for one more year and they’re going to take some aggressive risks.” Even though they’d like to bring him back at the right price, the Bruins would also listen to offers for Torey Krug’s negotiating rights.​

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
For me, Josh Anderson should not be a high trade price. Like you said 1 year away from a UFA. Yes he was injured last year, but how much can CBJ really ask for in a deal for a guy who scored 1 goal last year?

Then you have the other side of the risk, extending him past next year. So say the Bruins acquire him for a reasonable price, and he comes in an plays more like pre-injury Anderson (i.e. the 25-goal scoring version). Now he's going to want to get paid like you said. And someone will. Then say he's injured again the following year (2021-22) and he reverts back to 2019-20 Anderson. Then it basically becomes Matt Belesky all over again.

For me the only way I take Anderson is if CBJ moves him for a pretty cheap price, and they let him walk next off-season regardless of how he plays here. I see him as a pure rental. Pretty much zero interest here in committing to Josh Anderson long-term.

If I am the Jackets I roll the dice on him bouncing back and getting a 1st+ at the deadline...or even self rent...rather than getting back some mediocre prospect of whatever. So to trade him now, if I am the Jackets, I want equivalent of 1st+.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
In his latest article, The Athletic's Craig Custance lists 22 players who could be on the move this offseason.

One Bruin made the list:

19. Brandon Carlo, Boston Bruins: This is admittedly a bit of a longshot. He’s 23 years old and a right-shot top-four defenseman. Those players are at a premium. The Bruins are getting calls on him but aren’t actively looking to move him. If he gets traded, it’s part of a major deal that brings a legitimate top-six forward back or a similarly talented (and aged) left-shot defenseman. Those aren’t easy deals to make. “I’d be shocked (if they traded Carlo),” said a rival executive. “They’re going to be fascinating to watch. They’re going for it for one more year and they’re going to take some aggressive risks.” Even though they’d like to bring him back at the right price, the Bruins would also listen to offers for Torey Krug’s negotiating rights.​

The more interesting point on there is that executive thinks they are going for it for one more year and said it like it was fact.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
The more interesting point on there is that executive thinks they are going for it for one more year and said it like it was fact.

It makes a ton of sense given the way they are currently constituted. One year left one Rask and Krejci's deals. (Probably) one more year of Chara, and then McAvoy will be eligible to re-sign a long term deal. Instead of perpetually trying to ride their aging core into the ground ala Detroit, the Kings, etc., give it one last go and then figure it out from there.

member 96824

Isn't that what they should do? Still got Rask and Krejci playing at a high level. Give it one last kick of the can before they're both, likely, gone.

Yeah, I agree with the call. A lot of holes to fill and starting out negative letting Krug walk, but it's possible that it can be done. It's more realistic than finding market value for Krejci, Bergeron, and especially Rask in a shortened offseason where most teams are cutting all costs, Bruins included.

Reactions: Gordoff and NDiesel

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I understand the "go for it" mentality - I really do.

I just want everyone who wants the Bruins to "go for it" to understand that if they load up for one more kick at the can, the rebuild is going to be longer and tougher.
That's already been in the cards with the way they have been drafting forwards, anyways. May as well try to actually win before the real pain sets in.

Reactions: BTO and Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If I am the Jackets I roll the dice on him bouncing back and getting a 1st+ at the deadline...or even self rent...rather than getting back some mediocre prospect of whatever. So to trade him now, if I am the Jackets, I want equivalent of 1st+.

Good point. Which makes this an even harder deal to make. CBJ are likely better off keeping him and hoping his performance/value return to 2019 levels than to sell low here in the 2020 off-season. Whatever they could get now probably isn't much better than what they can get at the deadline if his performance doesn't rebound.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Isn't that what they should do? Still got Rask and Krejci playing at a high level. Give it one last kick of the can before they're both, likely, gone.

Next off-season is a real turning point for this franchise. It wouldn't be surprising at all if they are going for it. They aren't about to ship out guys like say Debrusk or Carlo (or even Krejci) for picks/prospects and "retool" like they did at the draft in 2015. If anything I think they'll try the exact opposite, try and move some assets to bring in immediate help.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

No. That ship sailed with the loss to St. Louis in game 7 of the SCF. That was the current core's last chance and it blew it. The organization needs to retool or rebuild - whatever you want to call it - and let Krug and Chara walk and trade Krejci, for starters.

But it probably won't happen because ownership likely wants another deep playoff run. Sweeney's hands will be tied.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
No. That ship sailed with the loss to St. Louis in game 7 of the SCF. That was the current core's last chance and it blew it. The organization needs to retool or rebuild - whatever you want to call it - and let Krug and Chara walk and trade Krejci, for starters.

But it probably won't happen because ownership likely wants another deep playoff run. Sweeney's hands will be tied.

You know that's right. Two back to back DNQs in recent memory probably exhausted JJ's tolerance for that for another decade going forward.

Reactions: Estlin

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think Staal has been underrated his whole career but word is he has little to no interest in playing the wing and where would he fit here as a center? Staal here means Krejci would have to go, which would actually be a fairly significant cap savings.

Kevyn Adams is his former teammate in Carolina and I think that had a lot to do with Staal's willingness to leave Minnesota, I'm not sure Sweeney could of convinced him to come to Boston.
For one more kick at the Cup maybe he could’ve been persuaded. Good point on where to play him. Seems he and Coyle are similar as they’re best used at center. Staal makes too much coin to center a 4th line (as much as I like Kuraly on Coyle’s LW)

Reactions: BruinDust

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think going for it for one more year is the right move. Krejci was statistically a PPG player this post season without having too much chemistry with his linemates 5 on 5. Get 1 or 2 top 6 forwards that make sense in the short and long term. Get one more crack it at with Rask in net. Both are FAs after next season which frees up some cap space. If he isn't moved, DeBrusk gets another season in to see what he can do and the prospects that make the team also get that experience.

Reactions: Gordoff

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

One Bruin made the list:

I would trade Krug's rights now for a decent pick. Carlo I would move in the right deal for a top 4 D equal or better or for a young top 6 forward.

Reactions: Gordoff and bp13

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I agree completely. Unless they decide to move on from Rask now, which I'd support if they can find a decent replacement. And if they can, they're still in go for it mode.

I've never bought into a "rebuild". Too many quality players at decent ages. But they do need to re-tool in areas. Toughness, scoring, left-side defense.

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad