News Article: Fluto: Milan Lucic under trade consideration by Bruins

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If and a big IF they were to trade Lucic, you better be sure of what you're getting in return. Don't ship him out for 2 3rd liners.

Also, if he goes, you HAVE to bring in some toughness for the 3rd/4th lines.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
You're living in fantasy land if you think the Bruins would actually trade Lucic at the trade deadline.

If they decide they really want to move him they do it at the draft. When teams can afford to take on the cap hit and have all summer to make other moves to accommodate it.

Whoever they have in mind to trade away will be on display at the draft. The time to make moves NEEDS to be now otherwise they can't
A)Afford to re-sign their own RFA's.
B)Improve the team with new additions.
C)Make payroll space for in season moves in '15/'16.

It's a process that needs to start ASAP.
It's too bad that the free agency starts IIRC on July 1'st because by the time
the Stanley Cup is awarded that only leaves about a week for them to interview and sign a new GM unless they know who it's going to be now and put him in place way in advance.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I don't think Lucic is a fan favorite anymore at all. He is more of an enigma to the die hard fans. There was the Lucic pre big contract that fans loved and this post contract Lucic who mails it in way too often. I think a lot of season ticket holders would love to see Lucic shipped out for a good package of players coming back.

Not many I know...and I know quite a few.

STH I know like Looch and would be disappointed if he were gone.

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'd just re-sign him. He's a proven high impact player in the playoffs, and has good chemistry with our 1st line center that we've locked up long term. Offer him $7m/3yr or $6.25/6yr. He should take one or the other.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd just re-sign him. He's a proven high impact player in the playoffs, and has good chemistry with our 1st line center that we've locked up long term. Offer him $7m/3yr or $6.25/6yr. He should take one or the other.

If he is trying to get 7/7 with bruins then how is he going to take that, he is again UFA for the 1st time and is still young elite powerforward, his agent knows better.

He is already making 6M as a rfa.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I agree. The Lucic that called komisarek's bluff and intimidated him out of Montreal is long gong. What is left is the Lucic who gets ***** slapped by PK Subban in from of the home crowd.

The commodity is proven, we can't afford to keep him so let's cash him in.

Yeah cuz we know Subban would have fought him if Lucic dropped the gloves

Be real

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
If we are pressured to move Looch to make cap space, what kind of situation is Chicago in which has about 8 players set to make a combined $60 million next year? At least we're not going to lose many superstars seeing as we don't have many (any?) :sarcasm:

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
If we are pressured to move Looch to make cap space, what kind of situation is Chicago in which has about 8 players set to make a combined $60 million next year? At least we're not going to lose many superstars seeing as we don't have many (any?) :sarcasm:

You don't move players for cap space unless you have a significantly better player coming in at around or cheaper.

Look at the Seguin deal, what a move for cap space, oh wait he was on a cap friendly deal.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
If he is trying to get 7/7 with bruins then how is he going to take that, he is again UFA for the 1st time and is still young elite powerforward, his agent knows better.

He is already making 6M as a rfa.

Can't do 7/7. Has the potential to cripple this franchise.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Can't do 7/7. Has the potential to cripple this franchise.

That is exactly why I'm even suggesting his trade. Love the guy but love the team more. The 1st thing our new GM has to do is to go to lucic and ask him what he wants.

But problems with Lucic is that he is 6M guy as rfa, overpaid already, UFA for the 1st time and his agent knows his value and the deal he can get.

It has been talked that they feel like elite powerforward can be even worth 8.5M and Lucic fits the bill, and that with Boston he'd be after 7/7.

If we can get him max 5y then great, fantastic, because powerforwards after 30y aren't 1st line guys anymore. 7 year deal would mean he is 34-35 in his last year, that's not going to be pretty when you pay him 7M at that point.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Lucic doesn't need to be moved for cap space. Bruins aren't in a situation right now where a larger contract has to be moved to be cap compliant like they did with Boychuk. That's what Chicago is facing this off-season, shipping out Sharp/Bickell/etc. just to be cap compliant.

If Boston let's there UFAs walk, re-sign there own RFAs, and simply replace the outgoing UFAs with cheaper younger players already in the organization they can be a cap compliant team. Now whether that's an improved team from last year's failed team is debatable.

If it's cap space that is needed to bring in some upgrades, start with Kelly, Seidenberg, Smith, even Eriksson if need be (although I'd like to keep Loui). Buy-out Kelly if they have to and eat his cap hit at 1 million for the next two seasons.

But the notion that Lucic has to be moved to get under the cap for the upcoming season simply isn't true.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
That is exactly why I'm even suggesting his trade. Love the guy but love the team more. The 1st thing our new GM has to do is to go to lucic and ask him what he wants.

But problems with Lucic is that he is 6M guy as rfa, overpaid already, UFA for the 1st time and his agent knows his value and the deal he can get.

It has been talked that they feel like elite powerforward can be even worth 8.5M and Lucic fits the bill, and that with Boston he'd be after 7/7.

If we can get him max 5y then great, fantastic, because powerforwards after 30y aren't 1st line guys anymore. 7 year deal would mean he is 34-35 in his last year, that's not going to be pretty when you pay him 7M at that point.

What was the salary cap 7 years ago though? It could very well be close to 85-90m by that time. It's a tough decision but if you can keep his cap hit down by going seven years you might have to explore it. I also don' think it would kill this team to retain a million dollars of his cap hit if you think it's time to move him in years 6 or 7. Teams are already willing to hand out ~6 mill to guys like bolland and clarkson so I'm not too sure his contract would be immovable.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What was the salary cap 7 years ago though? It could very well be close to 85-90m by that time. It's a tough decision but if you can keep his cap hit down by going seven years you might have to explore it. I also don' think it would kill this team to retain a million dollars of his cap hit if you think it's time to move him in years 6 or 7. Teams are already willing to hand out ~6 mill to guys like bolland and clarkson so I'm not too sure his contract would be immovable.

Well we trade him for nothing then, now we can trade him for value, Lucic just isn't worth 7M even now so 7/7 is a killer for me.

They want change, they want to win, they want us to be contenders but nothing is changing and we expect that a miracle happens and this team turns into contender?

If we want change then Lucic is a guy that has value and scary contract coming up.
Yes I want seids+Smith out too but they don't have the value as Lucic does.

But if we sign him then I hope we can get a nice LW prospect from this years draft, the D payers are gone before us. His lower cap to balance Lucic's cap hit, he can be useful 3rd line lw at that point but on a good team can't be on a 1st line.

This team is average if we keep it together, yes they can maybe be in the playoffs but they won't do any damage there, if the owners are happy with that then fine but don't they say that you want change and be contenders.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone here willing to give Lucic $8.5 M per on a multi year deal. According to Fluto thst is what one high powered agent said it would take

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Anyone here willing to give Lucic $8.5 M per on a multi year deal. According to Fluto thst is what one high powered agent said it would take

If he asks that then this would be so much easier, we have so many fans here who are still expecting him to sign 5-6M and for 3-6years and I'm getting killed for saying it's not possible :laugh:

Love the guy but no way I would let him destroy this team.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

Too much. New GM makes call to Lucic's agent, asks what their number is. If $8.5 move him at the draft.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I agree. The Lucic that called komisarek's bluff and intimidated him out of Montreal is long gong. What is left is the Lucic who gets ***** slapped by PK Subban in from of the home crowd.

The commodity is proven, we can't afford to keep him so let's cash him in.

Other players to move before Lucic

Kelly
Seidenberg
Smith

even Krejci because he holds more value. Could get a defenseman, prospect and 1st or 2nd rounder all for him

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Too much. New GM makes call to Lucic's agent, asks what their number is. If $8.5 move him at the draft.

This is what I want, the 1st thing he does is to call Lucic and ask what he wants/what he expects, if it's anywhere near that he just has to go, it would hurt too much.

This was 1 point that I was referring to you earlier, I don't want to trade him but they know his value(lucic and his agent)

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
I wonder if chiarelli would be interested in Lucic. McDavid is not a big guy, and guys might take less liberties with Lucic on his wing. Not to mention chia wants more grit, size, tough to play against etc. They have enough pure scorers on that team, they can afford to have Lucic play physical without the pressure to score.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if chiarelli would be interested in Lucic. McDavid is not a big guy, and guys might take less liberties with Lucic on his wing. Not to mention chia wants more grit, size, tough to play against etc. They have enough pure scorers on that team, they can afford to have Lucic play physical without the pressure to score.

Not saying Chiarelli has no interest in Lucic, but I think we had a better chance at dealing Lucic to Edmonton when MacT was in charge, and for a better return.

I wonder who floated out that "Lucic under trade consideration" rumor to Fluto at the end of the year? Was it Chiarelli, was it Neely, or someone else. My money is on Chiarelli.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I looked around the whole board and only saw one hand up. ;) Extending Lucic at that price means no $$ for McQuaid, a small raise for Hamilton and Connolly and no impact FAs or acquiring top talent in a trade.

Is he worth it?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If Lucic combined his 2007-2009 physicality, aggression, and intimidation with 2010-2011 scoring next season I might consider it.

But that's not going to happen.

I'm a huge Lucic mark but no way I give him $8.5 million per. No way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad