The Athletic - Boston Fluto: If the Bruins want Jack Eichel, they need to act fast for the Sabres’ disgruntled center

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
How can they fit him in ?
New York Rangers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Buchnevich an RFA will take Brendan Smith an expiring UFA

they are paying Fox $925 till next summer then time to pay the piper

taking Eichel in they need to get $10-12 M off

don’t see how Rangers can carry $21 + M in Panarin & Eichel

Trouba makes $8 M with nmc

Zib Is UfA next summer 0.0 Buffalo taking

I don’t see how Rangers can get rid of money and satisfy Buffalo

maybe Zibanejad, Kakko, one of those young D they just drafted

Zib works with Rangers though

The Kreider, Trouba, and DeAngelo contracts are all but immovable.

They have 6 RFA's this summer including Shesterkin and Buchnevich.

They need to resign UFAs Brendan Smith and DiGuiseppi.

If they cut bait on Smith, Buchnevich, and Chytil while packaging Kakko, Kravtsov, and Miller plus picks they could pull it off.

But as you say, it will leave them in a horrible position the following year when Zibenijad, Strome, Georgiev, & Fox need contracts.

If they move Zib or Strome in the package it gets easier, but then they have holes in their line-up and are not a better team.
Especially with two players over 10mil, they are a worse version of Toronto.
Not a good look for the new GM.

I think your right. Between the handcuffing of the monolith contracts and the need for the new GM to field a competitive yet cap-friendly
team to make room for the following years' contracts, they are stuck.

They have the assets to make a trade, but not the cap to do so.

Boston does not have the assets to make a trade, but the cap to make it work *

*I'll break this down in another post.

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Money Out:
Krejci(7.25m), Kuraly(1.28m), Kase(2.6m), Miller(1.25m), Halak(2.25m), Backes(1.5m from buyout end), McKegg & Blidh(1.4m),
Tinordi/Kampfer(1.5m), Rask(7m), Reilly(1.5m), Lauzon to Seattle(850K)
Total Out: ~29.25m

Money Spent:
Hall(7.5m), Ritchie(3m), Carlo(4.5m)
Total In: ~15

We could squeak Eichel and Hall in while resigning Carlo.
However, we would HAVE to lose Krejci & Rask assuming they walk/Retire.

Eichel Package:
DeBrusk, Studnicka, Senyshyn, Frederick, Prospect(Beecher, Hall, Ahcan, or Lohrei), 1st in 2021, 2nd in 2022

That is essentially the Seguin deal. Buffalo will not win any trade losing Eichel.
But they get 3 NHL players, and 2 prospects competing for a roster spot along with a 1st this year and a 2nd
in next years deep draft.

But is that enough of a win for Adams to bite?

Also, where does this put Boston in 2022? Bergeron and McAvoy will need new contracts.

Is Eichel really worth all this?

Not in my opinion.

We need a young center.
If Krejci retires we wait for Sam Reinhart negotiations to break down and offer a smaller package without Studnicka.
Jack and Sam would be our rebuilding 1C/2C depending on what Bergeron wants to do and for how long.

Too much risk and cost with Eichel. But he is our only chance at getting a franchise level center.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Money Out:
Krejci(7.25m), Kuraly(1.28m), Kase(2.6m), Miller(1.25m), Halak(2.25m), Backes(1.5m from buyout end), McKegg & Blidh(1.4m),
Tinordi/Kampfer(1.5m), Rask(7m), Reilly(1.5m), Lauzon to Seattle(850K)
Total Out: ~29.25m

Money Spent:
Hall(7.5m), Ritchie(3m), Carlo(4.5m)
Total In: ~15

We could squeak Eichel and Hall in while resigning Carlo.
However, we would HAVE to lose Krejci & Rask assuming they walk/Retire.

Eichel Package:
DeBrusk, Studnicka, Senyshyn, Frederick, Prospect(Beecher, Hall, Ahcan, or Lohrei), 1st in 2021, 2nd in 2022

That is essentially the Seguin deal. Buffalo will not win any trade losing Eichel.
But they get 3 NHL players, and 2 prospects competing for a roster spot along with a 1st this year and a 2nd
in next years deep draft.

But is that enough of a win for Adams to bite?

Also, where does this put Boston in 2022? Bergeron and McAvoy will need new contracts.

Is Eichel really worth all this?

Not in my opinion.

We need a young center.
If Krejci retires we wait for Sam Reinhart negotiations to break down and offer a smaller package without Studnicka.
Jack and Sam would be our rebuilding 1C/2C depending on what Bergeron wants to do and for how long.

Too much risk and cost with Eichel. But he is our only chance at getting a franchise level center.

All of this is moot if we resign Rask and Krejci for another Final Tour run. Then they and Bergeron can all retire together.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Man this is crazy. Pasta has 4 straight 30 or more goal seasons while Eichel has only 1. Pasta gets paid 4 less million while being 5 months older. And this isn’t even taking into account the injury Eichel has. If Buffalo wants Pasta they are adding not the Bruins.

:D I really don't get the Eichel love here. Multiple posters suggesting trading Pasta for Eichel? Pasta already got Rocket and has top 10 finished in points. It's not even close before you look at their cap hit.

I get it, would be nice to get homeboy to Boston, but get real, 5 mil$ per goal for Eichel this year ...The guy is a tier below Pasta when healthy which he isn't.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
It would be great to have both. How, I don't know.

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pasta

Hall -- Krejci -- Smith

Ritchie -- Eichel -- Coyle

Kuraly -- Frederic -- Lazar

Yeah, throwing the new, franchise 10 mill center on the third line is going to raise some eyebrows, but in a way it protects the asset since he's a bit damaged goods and needs to show his injury concerns are a thing of the past. Plus, we know that the Hall/Krejci/Smith line works - finding wingers that can work with Krejci has been a 5 year chore. Even on the mend, Jack Eichel on his talent alone can carry Ritchie and Coyle, something that I don't think Krejci can do at this point. Plus, think of the mismatches...

Coyle is paid 5mil$ per year. It's good that he went from being future 2nd line center to give me 10mil$ Eichel to carry me player and no one is talking about it. Krejci at his current 7mil$ is still worth every penny.

I like this line up, get rid of Coyle and pay Krejci 5-6 and you have cca 7mil in cap relief. If Buffalo can retain 3 mil $ it might work cap wise (which frankly I don't see as an issue, if they are going for another rebuild, they might need that retained salary to stay above the cap floor.

Give them 1s + Coyle + Lazar for Eicher at 30% retained and call it a day.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Coyle is paid 5mil$ per year. It's good that he went from being future 2nd line center to give me 10mil$ Eichel to carry me player and no one is talking about it. Krejci at his current 7mil$ is still worth every penny.

I like this line up, get rid of Coyle and pay Krejci 5-6 and you have cca 7mil in cap relief. If Buffalo can retain 3 mil $ it might work cap wise (which frankly I don't see as an issue, if they are going for another rebuild, they might need that retained salary to stay above the cap floor.

For that amazing package of assets, you’d think the Sabres would retain at least 50%. Hell, we’d be doing them a huge favour.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
The Kreider, Trouba, and DeAngelo contracts are all but immovable.

They have 6 RFA's this summer including Shesterkin and Buchnevich.

They need to resign UFAs Brendan Smith and DiGuiseppi.

If they cut bait on Smith, Buchnevich, and Chytil while packaging Kakko, Kravtsov, and Miller plus picks they could pull it off.

But as you say, it will leave them in a horrible position the following year when Zibenijad, Strome, Georgiev, & Fox need contracts.

If they move Zib or Strome in the package it gets easier, but then they have holes in their line-up and are not a better team.
Especially with two players over 10mil, they are a worse version of Toronto.
Not a good look for the new GM.

I think your right. Between the handcuffing of the monolith contracts and the need for the new GM to field a competitive yet cap-friendly
team to make room for the following years' contracts, they are stuck.

They have the assets to make a trade, but not the cap to do so.

Boston does not have the assets to make a trade, but the cap to make it work *

*I'll break this down in another post.

FYI, but DeAngelo's contract can be easily bought out this summer. Just leaves them with cap hits of $383,334 in 2021-22 and $883,334 in 2022-23.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I see him in Minnesota.
Maybe

they are going to have to pay Kaprizov and taking Eichel is a 16-20 M jump

Parise & Suter contacts starting to kill them

could lose Dumba to Seattle / ouch

I’m guessing Dumba would be part of trade to Buffalo

Boston has $30-35 M in space

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

You would have to be holding a magic lamp and looking at a 10 foot Jeanie for this to happen

Coyle has NMC he isn’t going

Reactions: Dr Hook

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
:D I really don't get the Eichel love here. Multiple posters suggesting trading Pasta for Eichel? Pasta already got Rocket and has top 10 finished in points. It's not even close before you look at their cap hit.

I get it, would be nice to get homeboy to Boston, but get real, 5 mil$ per goal for Eichel this year ...The guy is a tier below Pasta when healthy which he isn't.
I suggested the way it COULD work is Pastrnak

talent for talent same age and both no NMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You would have to be holding a magic lamp and looking at a 10 foot Jeanie for this to happen

Coyle has NMC he isn’t going

Yeah I feel pretty confident that Buffalo would be on his 10 team no trade list. Why the hell would he want to go there to dwell in the cellar for rest of his career? (Because that is probably how long it will take the Sabres to become decent let alone get good).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I feel pretty confident that Buffalo would be on his 10 team no trade list. Why the hell would he want to go there to dwell in the cellar for rest of his career? (Because that is probably how long it will take the Sabres to become decent let alone get good).
I’ll play the part of Kevyn Adams and I pass on that

I’d ask for Pastrnak & Studnicka and throw back my third

The assumption is I married the owners daughter and there is no prenup and Terry loves me and made me President of the Sabres

Reactions: Dr Hook

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Maybe

they are going to have to pay Kaprizov and taking Eichel is a 16-20 M jump

Parise & Suter contacts starting to kill them

could lose Dumba to Seattle / ouch

I’m guessing Dumba would be part of trade to Buffalo

Boston has $30-35 M in space

That 30-35 million will go quick when the have Krech, Rask and Hall to be be signed or do you pick two of them. That could be close to 20 million for all three.

Then there is Kuraly, Ritchie, Kase, Blidh, Tinordi, Kampfer, Frederic, Carlo, Reilly, Miller and Senyshyn.

Reactions: inactive user

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Krech, Rask and Hall will kill most of that as all 3 could be signed or do you pick two of them.
Then there is Kuraly, Ritchie, Frederic, Carlo, Reilly, Miller and Senyshyn.
Rask Krejci Hall all are back for about 20 M

DeBrusk I deal saves money or leave unprotected

Kuraly gone

Ritchie 2/5.6

Frederic the Bjork deal 2/2.8

Senyshyn 1 M

Carlo I need to consult @LouJersey & @Saxon Eric

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Rask Krejci Hall all are back for about 20 M

DeBrusk I deal saves money or leave unprotected

Kuraly gone

Ritchie 2/5.6

Frederic the Bjork deal 2/2.8

Senyshyn 1 M

Carlo I need to consult @LouJersey & @Saxon Eric
We agreed on the same total there as that is what I said. I would sign the same exact guys you mentioned out of all of them guys that are up this year.

I think Lauko replaces Jake and is cheaper. We keep Krech and forget about Eichel. Like I said yesterday go for Reinhart. It is already out there he is not happy. He is healthier and cheaper then Eichel. He would be okay waiting 2 years for Krech to move on and play the 3rd line for now. Eichel would not be okay with that.

Ritchie and Carlo are getting raises for sure. Probably 7 million total between them. Two year deals for Rask and Krech, then seeya.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We agreed on the same total there as that is what I said. I would sign the same exact guys you mentioned out of all of them guys that are up this year.

I think Lauko replaces Jake and is cheaper. We keep Krech and forget about Eichel. Like I said yesterday go for Reinhart. It is already out there he is not happy. He is healthier and cheaper then Eichel. He would be okay waiting 2 years for Krech to move on and play the 3rd line for now. Eichel would not be okay with that. Ritchie and Carlo are getting raises for sure. Probably 7 million total between them. Two year deals for Rask and Krech, then seeya.
Reinhart a RFA doubt he’s going anywhere

Reinhart
Cozens
Asplund

very good future down the middle

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Reinhart a RFA doubt he’s going anywhere

Reinhart
Cozens
Asplund

very good future down the middle
Maybe you should check out the main boards, lot of talk about him and Risto wanting out. Why would he want to stay there, he is not 21.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
6’s will be wild this off-season

Hall 6 x 6.75
Krejci 2 x 6
Rask 2 x 6

I also fully expect Bergeron to
Be signed this summer as well at
2 x 6.

Bs always lock up there core UFA the year before they hit if it wasn’t for Seattle I think Rask and Krejci would have already been signed

and Brandon Carlo to sign a
6 x 3.9 deal

3.9 would rank 90th in the nhl for Defenseman AAV

a little low cause I consider Carlo a #2/ high end #3D but he will still be paid as a #3 D and gets peace of mind with the term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad