The Athletic - Boston Fluto: If the Bruins want Jack Eichel, they need to act fast for the Sabres’ disgruntled center

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In terms of need and cap space, the Bruins would be interested in Eichel. David Krejci, 35, will be an unrestricted free agent after this season. Patrice Bergeron, 35, is signed through 2022. Charlie Coyle churned through a 28-game goal-scoring drought, most of it as the No. 3 center.

Eichel would give the Bruins a long-term go-to center to succeed Krejci and Bergeron. For 2021-22, the Bruins could even roll a flammable No. 2 line of Eichel with former linemate Taylor Hall, provided they re-sign the ex-Sabre.

If the Bruins do not re-sign Krejci and Tuukka Rask, they’ll have $14.25 million coming off their books. They’ll also be free of David Backes’ $1.5 million retained salary. Eichel carries a $10 million average annual value through 2026.

As for the return, this is where things get sticky for the Bruins. Buffalo general manager Kevyn Adams would start the conversation with either Charlie McAvoy or David Pastrnak. It would not be a one-for-one chat.

“I think you’re looking at McAvoy and (Trent) Frederic, probably minimum,” one NHL source said earlier this year. “Minimum.”

Neither McAvoy nor Pastrnak, especially when paired with additional assets, is a player the Bruins want to dangle. McAvoy, 23, is the Bruins’ No. 1 defenseman. Pastrnak, 24, is the No. 1 right wing.

The Bruins’ issue is the paucity of secondary assets that would pique Buffalo’s interest. Had Jake DeBrusk played at expected level this season, it’s possible the left wing could have been a building block for a package that included additional picks and prospects. But the 24-year-old is parked on five goals and eight assists in 39 games. It is likely the 2015 first-rounder will start the playoffs on the fourth line.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Eichel is elite and a franchise cornerstone but he's also damaged goods. His list of injuries right now he's trying to overcome is not good.

Maybe Eichel pulls a Hall and works his way for a Boston trade? I don't know what would be fair, when taking into account his injuries.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I am not trading McAvoy or Pastrnak for Eichel. Sorry. He's a 80 point player and is having intrusive neck surgery. He's making f***ing $10 million a year for 6 or 7 more years now.

We don't have to acquire every last local product who went to BU.

I'm sorry, but I want nothing to do with this unless you can hoodwink the Sabres into retaining 40-50%. But even then I'm not giving up McAvoy under any circumstances and I think I'd rather just keep Pasta and the additional pieces it would cost.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So Krejci leaves this summer, Hall follows him, Seattle takes Debrusk, and then we're trading Pasta for Eichel. Then who the f*** is going to play on his wings?

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Ritchie-Eichel-Kuhlman
Frederic-Coyle-Wagner
Lazar-Studnicka-Blidh

We'll be as bad as the Sabres.

Or maybe they'll sign some overpaid shitbag free agent like Getzlaf or Hoffman. That oughta put some butts in the seats.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He isn’t a choir boy is he. Shouldn’t of signed that 8 year deal. Now he wants out. Meh...
B’s don’t have the cookies to get him.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So Krejci leaves this summer, Hall follows him, Seattle takes Debrusk, and then we're trading Pasta for Eichel. Then who the f*** is going to play on his wings?

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Ritchie-Eichel-Kuhlman
Frederic-Coyle-Wagner
Lazar-Studnicka-Blidh

We'll be as bad as the Sabres.

Or maybe they'll sign some overpaid shitbag free agent like Getzlaf or Hoffman. That oughta put some butts in the seats.

a very perplexing day by bruins media.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Kinda thought the end of that was a needless cheap shot at Debrusk. At what point has he ever shown he could be a foundational piece for a franchise player? seems like piling on to talk about how he sucks in a Jack Eichel article lol

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I am not trading McAvoy or Pastrnak for Eichel. Sorry. He's a 80 point player and is having intrusive neck surgery. He's making f***ing $10 million a year for 6 or 7 more years now.

We don't have to acquire every last local product who went to BU.

I'm sorry, but I want nothing to do with this unless you can hoodwink the Sabres into retaining 40-50%. But even then I'm not giving up McAvoy under any circumstances and I think I'd rather just keep Pasta and the additional pieces it would cost.

Neck surgery and a lingering abdominal issue that hasn't healed a year later.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad