The Athletic - Boston Fluto: If the Bruins want Jack Eichel, they need to act fast for the Sabres’ disgruntled center

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Eichel is a very good player, but don't really like him that much as a franchise cornerstone. I'm not saying it can't work out in the right place, but I would have some trepidation in building around him, especially in his home area with a 10m cap hit.

Sometimes, early in a player's career it's hard to decipher whether the attitude is "hates losing" or "can't deal properly with struggle"

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Contract sucks and he's damaged goods.

“It's been speculated and discussed from Jack's camp about potentially having a surgery that's never been done on a National Hockey League player before,” Adams said. “Our doctors aren't comfortable with that.”
“There's a high probability that through a conservative rehab approach, you are able to avoid surgery and you're able to come back and perform at the top of your game,” Adams added. “That is what everybody agreed upon and that’s the hope that we all still have. What I want to make sure you all understand is we’re still in that window.”

Sabres GM: Jack Eichel wants surgery never performed on NHL player

Reactions: inactive user

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Rask Krejci Hall all are back for about 20 M

DeBrusk I deal saves money or leave unprotected

Kuraly gone

Ritchie 2/5.6

Frederic the Bjork deal 2/2.8

Senyshyn 1 M

Carlo I need to consult @LouJersey & @Saxon Eric

They could be super aggressive and not resign Rask and hand it over to Swayman. Unlikely but possible. I can’t see a scenario where the big trio gets more $18 million.

That feels very steep for Ritchie. He’s probably worth like 2.5/year

Frederic can’t even crack the lineup, why pay him anything of value?

The bit of a down year for Carlo should help his next contract from a team perspective

Babajingo

If you are going for Eichel, I believe that means you are going for it with the next few years. That means you can't move anyone good the current roster. As for the farm? I would give them the whole list and say "pick any 3". None of them are worth the 4 years you would get with Eichel (except Swayman if he counts).

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
If you are going for Eichel, I believe that means you are going for it with the next few years. That means you can't move anyone good the current roster. As for the farm? I would give them the whole list and say "pick any 3". None of them are worth the 4 years you would get with Eichel (except Swayman if he counts).

I don't see how that is the case - IMO, if you are trading for Eichel, you're looking more at the future than the present. Eichel is young and will be a top center for another decade, while stalwarts Bergeron and Krejci likely have just a few more seasons left in their careers.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
To me Eichel is radioactive right now. A neck injury with significant differences of opinion over the proper treatment is scary as hell.

I’d give them a package of Neely (while his knee was in that constant motion knee device), Bobby Orr just before he got swindled by Eagelson into Chicago, Andrej Kase, Gord Kluzak after knee surgery number three, and Marc Savard after the Cooke hit.

I jest of course, but there’s a real possibility he’s in that kind of territory. Not saying he’s not going to come back, but neck/vertebrae injuries are no bueno.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Babajingo

I don't see how that is the case - IMO, if you are trading for Eichel, you're looking more at the future than the present. Eichel is young and will be a top center for another decade, while stalwarts Bergeron and Krejci likely have just a few more seasons left in their careers.
Point taken. I guess he is kind of in the middle with Smith and Hall (if he signs). I think we can all agree the asking price will be insane.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I do not see Buffalo dealing with us again after losing out so badly on the Hall deal. Only way is a 3 team swap.

Reactions: Estlin

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’d also look at young centers across the league on shaky teams. Christian Dvorak in Arizona is a kid that intrigues me. 25 years old, 4.5m cap hit, center, scored 18g last season, 17g in 56 games this season (on paper he’s improving). In a better situation (Boston) could he be a fit as 3rd line center and slide up to 2C once Krejci retires in 2-3 years?

That would require moving Coyle +

Dvorak Studnicka Beecher future 2nd/ 3rd line centers. Keep swinging for a 1C to replace 37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad