Post-Game Talk: Flu Ridden Jets 4 - Tokarski Pens 1

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Warning: one of my typical personal vignettes follows.

Every wonder if your HF posting impacts someone's life? Check out post #63 in yesterday's GDT. It's a video posted by Jets31.

Girls Night Out last night and by 1 ayem we were at our third club, our quintet now reduced to a trio by some passing wayfarers. I was in the washroom when a stall behind me opened and out staggered a girl nearly identical to the video: same hair, backless sausage casing, heels. She stood beside me at the counter and I couldn't resist turning and asking her how she finally got the toilet seat off.

Ha, ha! Life imitates art!

I thought I was hilarious and started to laugh.

She stared at me blankly, swaying and not focusing her eyes, then turned abruptly and threw up in the sink. It happened so fast I couldn't grab her hair in time. One of her team appeared from another stall and other girls were walking in so I beat a hasty retreat.

Of course, first thing after brekkie this morning, I went back and looked at Jets31's video. And laughed all over again. Yes, I really am that small.

Oh if only I could have been a fly on the wall :biglaugh:

(Of course, if I was I'd probably have been arrested for being a peeping tom or something close to it, but I digress)

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
How so?

He was among the best Jets game in-out last time round, and is a player who can be effective and dangerous even when not producing. Not many players or teams who can be confident about giving Nik a free run when he has the puck, and his shot has improved dramatically over the past few seasons.

I reckon he'll be pretty key in any deep Jets run.
Just to preface, I was big on Ehlers back then, especially that regular season; and the years leading up to it.

Outside of that game when he came back from injury, vs the Oilers in round #1, I wasn't the least bit impressed about anything that he was doing.

My biggest complaint about him in those playoffs, was the series vs Montreal. Throughout that series, the Jets were playing Keystone Kops in their own end, and they were barely able to mount any offense once Scheifele got suspended after game #1. Ehlers thing is to drive a line, and set up the offense on his entries. But they rarely mounted any offense, nor were they able to set up and establish themselves in the offensive zone.

With Scheifele going down, the Habs were able to properly concentrate on him, and shut his game down; which they did. He had the opportunity to really solidify himself in that regard, and my thoughts coming out of that series was that maybe he's overrated. Biggest takeaway for me, was that an Ehlers-led offense is very predictable. The team sucked altogether, so it's not just on him, but I had high hopes for him for that series.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Correct, wont matter after this afternoon as the Flames are up 6-2 going into the third giving the Jets first place all by there lonesome. Now to find a way to stay there
If the Jets get to first in the Central the opening round matchup as it stands would be against the Flames, and I'm not sure if that would be an easier or tougher matchup than the Wild. Flames have a good defense, and are strong up the middle 1-3. Jets would have an edge in wingers and goaltending I think. But the Flames probably add a top 6 forward at the deadline.

If the Jets get to #1 in the West, which I think is the objective, 1st round matchup could be any of Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, St. Louis and Nashville, and other than the Preds I don't think there's an easy out there. Maybe St. Louis who doesn't seem to have it this year.

Reactions: GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Doesn't take anything away from the Jets but it seems that the flu bug is also running through the Penguins roster. Could explain some of their lacksidaisical play last night. Again doesn't take away from the Jets as they have the same bug running through their team.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
If the Jets get to first in the Central the opening round matchup as it stands would be against the Flames, and I'm not sure if that would be an easier or tougher matchup than the Wild. Flames have a good defense, and are strong up the middle 1-3. Jets would have an edge in wingers and goaltending I think. But the Flames probably add a top 6 forward at the deadline.

If the Jets get to #1 in the West, which I think is the objective, 1st round matchup could be any of Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, St. Louis and Nashville, and other than the Preds I don't think there's an easy out there. Maybe St. Louis who doesn't seem to have it this year.
I would rather face the Flames than the Wild in the first round, I think we match up better against the Flames

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Where’s the “this team is better without Ehlers” guy? Silence since Fly has come back. Silence.
There's a prominent poster on here, who made a post recently, where he was critical of Ehlers play. I was thoroughly impressed. His favorite player is Ehlers, and he never makes that a secret. He also, is very optimistic about the team, and roots for everyone on the team. In his post about Ehlers, he was being objective.

I've been lurking here for a number of years. People complain - fairly or not - about Scheifele, Kyle Connor, Connor Hellebuyck, Wheeler, Morrissey, PLD, Pionk, Kuhlman (the waiver-wire pick-up), Schmidt, etc. Generally they're fair criticisms. As an observer, I was bit tired of people who do daily write-ups, constantly bashing/undercutting almost every player not named Ehlers. To me, that's not being objective. That's curating a narrative.

Picking apart Kyle Connor, to constantly prop-up Ehlers, is not being objective. It's steeped in anchor-bias. Bashing Kyle Connor and Kuhlman in the GDT threads - when the Jets have been doing very well btw - and conveniently fading the last two goals of the Buffalo game, to save face, was weak.

Kyle Connor's not even my favorite player. It's Morrissey, and Scheifele over the length of the Jets 2.0. I want everyone to do well, even Ehlers. I just don't think anyone is above criticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP and Stumbledore

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I would rather face the Flames than the Wild in the first round, I think we match up better against the Flames

Too early to discuss playoff matchups but the Wild have had our number for a while since Buff left. When Buff was here we used to chew them up like breakfast and spit them out, since he has gone, we seem to have a difficult time against them.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
It’s official 1st place baby.
71FA767A-9C13-4B49-AFCF-3B60E15D096D.png

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Oh if only I could have been a fly on the wall :biglaugh:

(Of course, if I was I'd probably have been arrested for being a peeping tom or something close to it, but I digress)
I sympathize. The washroom is the greatest place to see all the drama and catch up on what's happening since it's the only place we can talk without being deafened. Hang out in our washroom for a hour and you'll probably got enough material for at least a year's worth of soap operas.

If you're a peeper, you'd probably be really disappointed. Other than the occasional lingerie adjustment, there's nothing to see that you haven't already seen out on the dance floor or in the deliberately dimmer corners of most clubs. Occasionally you'll hear some action coming from within a stall but that's pretty rare, thankfully. And some of the hygiene touch-ups are kind of gross.

And it's really rare to see a toilet seat swinging around a girl's neck but obviously somebody tried it.

So, do you put Bucky in tomorrow night or do you reward Dave with a second start but against a team with a much worse record?

Last edited:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I sympathize. The washroom is the greatest place to see all the drama and catch up on what's happening since it's the only place we can talk without being deafened. Hang out in our washroom for a hour and you'll probably got enough material for at least a year's worth of soap operas.

If you're a peeper, you'd probably be really disappointed. Other than the occasional lingerie adjustment, there's nothing to see that you haven't already seen out on the dance floor or in deliberately dimmer corners of most clubs. Occasionally you'll hear some action coming from within a stall but that's pretty rare, thankfully.

And it's really rare to see a toilet seat swinging around a girl's neck but obviously somebody tried it.

So, do you put Bucky in tomorrow night or do you reward Dave with a second start but against a team with a much worse record?
I'd put Helle in for the next 3 games, use Big Save Dave against Ottawa, then give a rested Helle the job of shutting down Philly.

Reactions: RabidOne

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Most coaches play their starters the first game of a back to back.
I think Helle gets the next 4 games.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Glad to see that you're feeling better. I hope you continue to improve and your outlook on life grows more positive.

Lol my outlook on life is pretty good! My outlook on our pro hockey franchise is a little up and down .... :laugh:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers was standing on top of Crosby because Crosby was so tired from chasing Ehlers around Crosby was lying on the ground.:naughty:
As one other poster said, it's likely Ehlers had his skates on, and Perfetti did not, so that's why Ehlers looked so much taller, but you could be right as well.:nod:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Anyone notice ? - so far God has been good to us, and is giving us a mild winter, a real cream puff so far. Let's hope it continues. :nod:

Reactions: Stumbledore

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I still am confident in my opinion.

That line has a lot of issues. Ehlers is still not built for the playoffs.
So should we play Flo-by or Harkins instead of Ehlers? Every team in the league would take Ehlers if he was available to them.
3G 8A 11pts in 7 games
Drives possession and is one of the best zone entry players.
A real dud.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
So should we play Flo-by or Harkins instead of Ehlers? Every team in the league would take Ehlers if he was available to them.
3G 8A 11pts in 7 games
Drives possession and is one of the best zone entry players.
A real dud.
Do PLD and Kyle Connor need someone who drives the line? You weren't impressed with what they were already accomplishing? You don't see that as a potential problem down the line, especially defensively? There isn't another - better - way to deploy Ehlers?

You're satisfied with this small sample size of games played with those 3 on the same line? Lock it in, you've seen enough?

He's not a dud.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
There's a prominent poster on here, who made a post recently, where he was critical of Ehlers play. I was thoroughly impressed. His favorite player is Ehlers, and he never makes that a secret. He also, is very optimistic about the team, and roots for everyone on the team. In his post about Ehlers, he was being objective.

I've been lurking here for a number of years. People complain - fairly or not - about Scheifele, Kyle Connor, Connor Hellebuyck, Wheeler, Morrissey, PLD, Pionk, Kuhlman (the waiver-wire pick-up), Schmidt, etc. Generally they're fair criticisms. As an observer, I was bit tired of people who do daily write-ups, constantly bashing/undercutting almost every player not named Ehlers. To me, that's not being objective. That's curating a narrative.

Picking apart Kyle Connor, to constantly prop-up Ehlers, is not being objective. It's steeped in anchor-bias. Bashing Kyle Connor and Kuhlman in the GDT threads - when the Jets have been doing very well btw - and conveniently fading the last two goals of the Buffalo game, to save face, was weak.

Kyle Connor's not even my favorite player. It's Morrissey, and Scheifele over the length of the Jets 2.0. I want everyone to do well, even Ehlers. I just don't think anyone is above criticism.
What you’re saying here makes some sense but it’s not really what you posted before. It was a couple of weeks ago so forgive me if I get this wrong. But the post I’m referring to insinuated that the Jets were better off without Ehlers. There was no mention of playoffs. Just that Ehlers made the Jets worse. Regardless of anything that statement would be false.

The Jets as a whole were terrible in the MTL series. No one should be expected to carry the team themselves. We are a 7-headed+ monster.
Ehlers is one of our weapons. I think his playoff performances have improved each year and our new system really suits his game.

We’ll see what he can do this year.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Do PLD and Kyle Connor need someone who drives the line? You weren't impressed with what they were already accomplishing? You don't see that as a potential problem down the line, especially defensively? There isn't another - better - way to deploy Ehlers?

You're satisfied with this small sample size of games played with those 3 on the same line? Lock it in, you've seen enough?

He's not a dud.
Look at my posts. I’ve suggested that they should switch Ehlers and Wheeler as a suggestion. In the second half of the season they should try several variations of our top 6 to give us options to change up as needed in the playoffs based on injuries or if we aren’t playing well in a game.

Try not to assign an opinion to me when you have nothing to base that on.

Ehlers came back with close to no rust. Perfetti and Wheeler struggled their first couple of games. 81-80 have proven that they can produce with 4th liners on RW so I suggested splitting up the two guys that were struggling and giving Scheifele a guy who is playing hot and can be another shooter for a Cole to set up.

I’m cheering for all of these guys to do well.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad