Post-Game Talk: Flu Ridden Jets 4 - Tokarski Pens 1

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
What you’re saying here makes some sense but it’s not really what you posted before. It was a couple of weeks ago so forgive me if I get this wrong. But the post I’m referring to insinuated that the Jets were better off without Ehlers. There was no mention of playoffs. Just that Ehlers made the Jets worse. Regardless of anything that statement would be false.

The Jets as a whole were terrible in the MTL series. No one should be expected to carry the team themselves. We are a 7-headed+ monster.
Ehlers is one of our weapons. I think his playoff performances have improved each year and our new system really suits his game.

We’ll see what he can do this year.
From my end, I do believe you're right (bolded part). I believe I validated something I didn't totally mean, when I said "I'm not insinuating it, I'm saying it", or something like that. Which, was me taking what I meant out of context, and was unnecessary. I have a lot of criticisms of Ehlers - and everyone else believe it or not - but it was misplaced, for me to say that the team is better off without him.

Most of what I said, was driven out of what I mentioned in a previous post (earlier today). I do firmly believe though, that the PLD Ehlers Connor line has too many flaws. Defensively, spacing issues, routes, congesting the strong side, and Ehlers would be better utilized playing with Scheifele on his line (IMO).

But therein lies the other problem, who do you drop from that line? They had chemistry building before the injuries, and now they had a relatively good game together last game. Ehlers has a unique skillset, specifically built around his puck possession, and I don't view him as a guy that's easily reinstalled into the line-up. If he darted in and out more, and did less with the puck, sure, I think he'd be awesome; though I'm sure the analytics will say that he's suddenly not that good or whatever.

To add: Because I have to be careful with my wording here, I don't think that Ehlers is easily reinstalled in the line up in general because I don't view him as the plug-and-play type. As you mentioned, he performed better than the other two right out of the gate, and I was surprised about that. Having said that, I don't think he was carrying the puck into the zone (consistently) until this past game, and in prior games he was generally moving the puck more quickly than usual also.

Last edited:

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Look at my posts. I’ve suggested that they should switch Ehlers and Wheeler as a suggestion. In the second half of the season they should try several variations of our top 6 to give us options to change up as needed in the playoffs based on injuries or if we aren’t playing well in a game.

Try not to assign an opinion to me when you have nothing to base that on.

Ehlers came back with close to no rust. Perfetti and Wheeler struggled their first couple of games. 81-80 have proven that they can produce with 4th liners on RW so I suggested splitting up the two guys that were struggling and giving Scheifele a guy who is playing hot and can be another shooter for a Cole to set up.

I’m cheering for all of these guys to do well.
I agree with most of what you're saying. For me, it's got to either be Perfetti or Wheeler that gets moved to a different line, but... They can be quite good together. I think Perfetti has a skillset that's a good fit for the playoffs; when the game slows down and his great passing high IQ will shine best (potentially). It a great problem to have I suppose, which is why the team needs to upgrade the 3rd line scoring depth. I also wonder if there will be blowback going with 3 scoring lines, because a large part of this team's identity, is what we're doing defensively with our 3rd and 4th lines.

And for all of my criticisms, Ehlers is a very good player, and certainly should be on the first or second line.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you're referring to with what I'd said (or asked)? The assigning an opinion onto you portion? Update: I see what you're saying. I took that line based off of your asking "So should we play Flo-by or Harkins instead of Ehlers?" I don't have a problem with either one, but no, there are many other 3rd or 4th liners that I'd rather plug into that spot. And of course, just because I'd slot them into that role, doesn't mean that I think they're better or more valuable than Ehlers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad