GDT: Florida Panthers @ Pittsburgh Penguins | 1.20.14 | 7:00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I strongly disagree, Sid creates a lot in transition and a lot of that is due to having superior speed. He's smart, but he's also real fast, his speed is a huge asset. Not sure how you don't see that as an important element in his game.

its important in his game, but it doesn't mean his linemates have to be burners. Sid would do just as well with smart talented players as he does with fast players like Dupuis. We saw it with Billy G.

Michael8771*

Crosby could never take a full stride and pick up two points a game. We saw him do that against Vancouver. It helps but his game has NEVER been predicated on speed and it's not essential at all.
We fundamentally disagree. I've even heard Sid mention speed several times and what a huge asset it is. It is an important component, not the only component mind you but important nonetheless.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Comment From Tim
So other than Bylsma's own biases, what advantages do you think playing Adams over Sill or Engelland presents?

Shelly Anderson:
Adams isn't playing ahead of Zach Sill. They're both on the fourth line. As for Engelland, he's done surprisingly well when used at winger, especially considering he shifts between that and a defenseman during shorthanded situations in-game. But Engelland isn't really a full-time winger.

Thanks for the insight, Shelly!

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I strongly disagree, Sid creates a lot in transition and a lot of that is due to having superior speed. He's smart, but he's also real fast, his speed is a huge asset. Not sure how you don't see that as an important element in his game.

If you describe Sid's speed as "superior speed", how do you describe someone like Michael Grabner?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Comment From RRP
I love Dan Bylsma and think he may be the greatest thing that's happened to the City of Pittsburgh. Do you think the way the team has performed this year has alleviated any concerns the organization and fans may have had about him after a few bad playoff defeats? Any chance of him getting a longer term extension after what seemed to be a lukewarm vote of confidence this past off-season? And any chance he may one day hold public office?

RRP get's a standing ovation for this question(s)

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

****, I meant to do something like that, but forgot about the chat.

If the chat's still ongoing, can someone who isn't posting from a phone write a long question praising Kris Letang from "Til_The_End_of_Time"?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
We fundamentally disagree. I've even heard Sid mention speed several times. It is an important component, not the only component mind you but important nonetheless.

Sid would never say that he needs his linemates to be fast, though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We fundamentally disagree. I've even heard Sid mention speed several times and what a huge asset it is. It is an important component, not the only component mind you but important nonetheless.

We are talking about Jussi playing in that spot over Chuck Kobasew. Jussi's speed is NOT going to make him a worse fit with Sid than Kobe.

The question should be: is Kobasew better with Sid than Pyatt is with Geno? I think the answer is a clear cut no. But since Disco clearly intends to keep Jussi with Geno and Neal, it really isn't a question at all.

Michael8771*

its important in his game, but it doesn't mean his linemates have to be burners. Sid would do just as well with smart talented players as he does with fast players like Dupuis. We saw it with Billy G.
Well, I don't expect Sid to play with ''burners'' per se, but I would want a guy who's a better skater than JJ. IMO he's one of the slower guys on the team.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agreed (mostly), but playing devil's advocate... with the solution to Sid's wing being "Wait for Beau" and there being no clear Plan C, wouldn't a game against a bottom of the conference team with a sizable lead in the division, be a good time to see what kind of chemistry Jucie-Sid-Koon have in the event that Beau doesn't come back or doesn't gel with that line or even gets injured again.

Megna has shown a decent fit for the 2nd line in some showings, along with some others (most recently Pyatt). So wouldn't getting some other players players a couple looks with some different lines be beneficial down the road?

Jokinen's not really a viable option there IMHO. People have cited speed, and the counter has been Guerin, but speed isn't the only issue. Jokinen's not only slow, he plays a soft East/West game.

I'd be fine with giving it a shot just for the hell of it because Jokinen is one of our few skilled wingers, but Geno's a much better fit.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
I have this image of Shelly popping some Xanax and getting an alcoholic beverage before doing these chats.

:laugh: So do I. I loved how she said "Bylsma seems to have struck a nerve" in response to a question that didn't really have much to do with him.

Michael8771*

We are talking about Jussi playing in that spot over Chuck Kobasew. Jussi's speed is NOT going to make him a worse fit with Sid than Kobe.

The question should be: is Kobasew better with Sid than Pyatt is with Geno? I think the answer is a clear cut no. But since Disco clearly intends to keep Jussi with Geno and Neal, it really isn't a question at all.
Why play JJ with him when the 2hd line has done so well as is? Kobasew wouldn't be my choice either but I don't want to disrupt Geno's line.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Comment From RRP
I love Dan Bylsma and think he may be the greatest thing that's happened to the City of Pittsburgh. Do you think the way the team has performed this year has alleviated any concerns the organization and fans may have had about him after a few bad playoff defeats? Any chance of him getting a longer term extension after what seemed to be a lukewarm vote of confidence this past off-season? And any chance he may one day hold public office?

RRP get's a standing ovation for this question(s)

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Somebody made a funny.

Well, they tried anyway.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Why play JJ with him when the 2hd line has done so well as is? Kobasew wouldn't be my choice either but I don't want to disrupt Geno's line.

Because the second line hasn't done well. Malkin and Neal have done well.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I want Jussi off of Geno's line. I'd play him with Sutter every game Neal and Kunitz are healthy. I don't care who Geno's and Sid's 3rd wheels are. Jussi would add more to this team as Sutter's number 2 than he does as Sid's or Geno's 3rd wheel. The only time Jussi should see top 6 time beyond a few random shifts is when he can take the main shooter role on a line.

Michael8771*

Jokinen's not really a viable option there IMHO. People have cited speed, and the counter has been Guerin, but speed isn't the only issue. Jokinen's not only slow, he plays a soft East/West game.

I'd be fine with giving it a shot just for the hell of it because Jokinen is one of our few skilled wingers, but Geno's a much better fit.
Exactly, he's more east west which fits in with Geno, couldn't agree more.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I want Jussi off of Geno's line. I'd play him with Sutter every game Neal and Kunitz are healthy. I don't care who Geno's and Sid's 3rd wheels are. Jussi would add more to this team as Sutter's number 2 than he does as Sid's or Geno's 3rd wheel. The only time Jussi should see top 6 time beyond a few random shifts is when he can take the main shooter role on a line.

That would most certainly make the 3C Model a more viable option.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Sutter is the best fit for Jussi.

This. I really do like those two together and Sutter gets a real NHL player on his wing. Three lines could be functioning, 4 if Gladams goes bye-bye. There's something to be said for every line having one skilled winger, Malkin has Neal and Crosby should have Bennett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad