Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Officially Name Joel Quenneville Their Next Head Coach

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Blackhawks fan here. You will learn to loathe Q's assistants. The constant during Q's tenure was a bottom 5 PP and inconsistent PK from season to season. They'd either be great or horrible killing penalties. If you get Both Kitchen and Dineen prepare for absolutely god awful special teams.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Blackhawks fan here. You will learn to loathe Q's assistants. The constant during Q's tenure was a bottom 5 PP and inconsistent PK from season to season. They'd either be great or horrible killing penalties. If you get Both Kitchen and Dineen prepare for absolutely god awful special teams.
Well, overall we had dope specialty teams this season and didn't even make the playoffs. But I get what you're saying, good looking out.

-ghoste

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Well, overall we had dope specialty teams this season and didn't even make the playoffs. But I get what you're saying, good looking out.

-ghoste
The one thing is that sometimes superior talent can save Q's inferior system on the PP/PK. Occasionally they overcome his deficiencies. Also, Q puts defensive responsibility above all else. If you have a skilled young forward that occasionally gets lazy in his own zone he's going to get on Q's shit list PDQ.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Both already coached for us, we ALREADY hate them, but Q is worth it.

You should know this.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The one thing is that sometimes superior talent can save Q's inferior system on the PP/PK. Occasionally they overcome his deficiencies. Also, Q puts defensive responsibility above all else. If you have a skilled young forward that occasionally gets lazy in his own zone he's going to get on Q's **** list PDQ.
This is very good to hear.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Damn 3 cups with a bottom 5 on both. Can’t wait. Must have the most dominant 5 on 5 ever.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I doubt the players are just going to roll over and let themselves dwindle down to the bottom third in PP%. They are too smart and too skilled for that to happen. Does anyone really think that the coaching staff isnt going to talk to the players regarding the PP/PK? What their tendencies are, what they like or dislike, etc. Its going to be a work in progress. Not taking in to account who we may get over the summer, we have enough talent on this team to have a top 10 PP.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hawks fan here. Pretty cool to see how excited you guys are for Q to coach the Panthers. I didn’t realize all of the beyond obvious things it meant to you guys so congrats!

Reactions: pantherbot

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Hawks fan here. Pretty cool to see how excited you guys are for Q to coach the Panthers. I didn’t realize all of the beyond obvious things it meant to you guys so congrats!

The team has never spent upwards of $6.5 million per season (bonuses included) on a head coach, we are always cheap when it comes to that. So to see someone come here with his history and coaching prowess, it gives the club some respectability around the league. The only other big name coach I can think of, aside from Keenan back in the Bure years, would be Martin. But they dont come close to this hire.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Damn 3 cups with a bottom 5 on both. Can’t wait. Must have the most dominant 5 on 5 ever.
That is exactly how they won 3 cups. They dominated everyone 5 on 5, there were years when they had a bottom 5 PK but During the years they won the Cup they had a top 5 PK. They were wildly inconsistent with penalty killing. One year they'd have a top 5 PK the next a bottom 10 or even bottom 5. It's probably the biggest reason they never won back to back Cups.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
That is exactly how they won 3 cups. They dominated everyone 5 on 5, there were years when they had a bottom 5 PK but During the years they won the Cup they had a top 5 PK. They were wildly inconsistent with penalty killing. One year they'd have a top 5 PK the next a bottom 10 or even bottom 5. It's probably the biggest reason they never won back to back Cups.
Well I’ll take that over Boughner who has no idea what he was doing. I know special teams are important but Q is 30x the coach that Boughner is and I’ll take improved 5 on 5 over those where he is either hit or miss.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Well I’ll take that over Boughner who has no idea what he was doing. I know special teams are important but Q is 30x the coach that Boughner is and I’ll take improved 5 on 5 over those where he is either hit or miss.
It was fun to watch the Q-Babcock chess match. Q won more often than not. He knows what he's doing for the most part, it was just that the message was getting stale hin Chicago. I want to say outside of 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2016 their PP was absolutely dreadful. Those years they had talent to overcome the system deficiencies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think we all knew there was a chance he would bring both dineen and kitchen. The fact that only one of them is here is outstanding. Dineen has never in any capacity ever impressed me at the nhl level.
Yeah if you had both it would be bad. The fact that you only have one is a good sign. It would have been nice if he actually brought coaches that could coach rather than his buddies from the Whalers.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yeah if you had both it would be bad. The fact that you only have one is a good sign. It would have been nice if he actually brought coaches that could coach rather than his buddies from the Whalers.
It’s his one wart. He’s still one of the best ever. Like I said the upgrade from Boughner to Q is monumental. Boughner ran a 5 forward PP. The guy is a potato. Our players should be fine on the PP. the PK is the only concern.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
tenor.gif

How long before D-Mac turns into Jackie Moon

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
You should hear the radio broadcasters up here in Canada.

"Joel Quenneville....3 time Cup champ....has signed on to be coach of the .......Fllllaaaarrrrrda Pannnntherrrss................, the lowly Panthers, the underacheiving Panthers, the empty arena Panthers...., which proves it all comes down to money and greed in life"

:rolleyes:

I was thinking about this today, about the contempt Canadian broadcasters had for Coach Q and the team after he took the job. I was thinking about the talk that Quenneville just came here to cash in a payday and soak up the sun, or spend time at the track.

I thought that fear was a bit justified, especially because it's South Florida. Down here, the Dolphins have had to deal with that reality quite a few times with veteran free agents and coaches who simply wanted to cash one more check on the way out the door. We remember Nick Saban using Miami as a convenient (and lucrative) transition from one college job to another. We remember Bill Parcells taking an obscene amount of money to hang around at Palm Beach golf courses and occasionally play coach/god, as it suited him. After a while, I think you become conditioned to expecting the worst. It's a shameful, loser's mentality, but I'll confess I had those thoughts worming around in my skull when this move was announced.

I can discard that fear now. Does anyone still think this man came here for a quick buck? The passion he still has for the game permeates everything about him now: his excitement on the bench, his pulse for the game and how to manage it, his handling of the players off the ice, and even the dominant confidence with which he works the media. You can notice these things.

We don't know yet if this team is going to have real success under Coach Q, but I think we can close the door on the talk that it's all about the money.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I was thinking about this today, about the contempt Canadian broadcasters had for Coach Q and the team after he took the job. I was thinking about the talk that Quenneville just came here to cash in a payday and soak up the sun, or spend time at the track.

I thought that fear was a bit justified, especially because it's South Florida. Down here, the Dolphins have had to deal with that reality quite a few times with veteran free agents and coaches who simply wanted to cash one more check on the way out the door. We remember Nick Saban using Miami as a convenient (and lucrative) transition from one college job to another. We remember Bill Parcells taking an obscene amount of money to hang around at Palm Beach golf courses and occasionally play coach/god, as it suited him. After a while, I think you become conditioned to expecting the worst. It's a shameful, loser's mentality, but I'll confess I had those thoughts worming around in my skull when this move was announced.

I can discard that fear now. Does anyone still think this man came here for a quick buck? The passion he still has for the game permeates everything about him now: his excitement on the bench, his pulse for the game and how to manage it, his handling of the players off the ice, and even the dominant confidence with which he works the media. You can notice these things.

We don't know yet if this team is going to have real success under Coach Q, but I think we can close the door on the talk that it's all about the money.

Think I posted it before but the story of when the Hawks won their first Cup, Q called Tallon and passed his phone around the room so the players could talk to or thank Tallon.

Q had my respect before but I would follow him into a fire if need be knowing he would lead us out after hearing that story. He's a standup guy and knows when to push or pull with his players.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Think I posted it before but the story of when the Hawks won their first Cup, Q called Tallon and passed his phone around the room so the players could talk to or thank Tallon.

Q had my respect before but I would follow him into a fire if need be knowing he would lead us out after hearing that story. He's a standup guy and knows when to push or pull with his players.

Some men are just born leaders; it's a rare gift. The older I get, the more I appreciate it when I see it in people who have it. Psychologists and historians have studied this gift for ages; there are some men that know exactly how to push or inspire others into doing things that they wouldn't normally be motivated to do, to keep guys together when they are frayed and falling apart. Great coaches can do that.

Personally, I think it boils down to a really fine balance between engendering feelings of personal trust and inspiring confidence in one's decisions. A lot of coaches fail on the former because they try to be friends with the players, not understanding that a healthy relationship between a player and coach should not be one of friendship, but of mentorship. If you ever listen to successful players talk about really great coaches -- even the jerks like Bob Knight -- they all talk about how those coaches were mentors, teachers, or even father figures to them. Never pals.

I hate to say it, but I think that's one thing that Bob Boughner struggled with. As a former player and captain, Bob was accustomed to leading on the ice as one of the guys. Between that and his relative youth, I think it was a struggle for him to overcome that and assert himself as the mentor. Bob was not a bad coach; I simply don't think he was ready to lead a struggling team to contention. With Coach Q, I think his age and crusty demeanor is actually a boon. I don't buy the notion that players can't relate to an older coach, because I don't think players want to relate to a coach in the same way they relate to their peers.

I think Coach Q is just one of those rare individuals who has the gift. I'm glad he's coaching our guys now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad