GDT: Florida Panthers at Ottawa Senators - 7PM - Sportsnet / TVAS - Hello Kitty, eat litter!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
To be clear, getting rid of a coach isn't just about their instructions or their system or what they say to the players.

It's a move to shake up complacency and drive home the point that the product on the ice simply isn't good enough.

In short tournaments, you'll see a team yank the goalie if the team loses and replace him with another. It's not always the goalie's fault, but it's a move a team can make to shake things up.

Joseph was booted in 2002 in favour of Brodeur, and then Brodeur was booted in 2010 in favour of Luongo. In both cases, the team in front of them left them out to dry. But you still switch up the goalie.

Blaming the coach for everything is just as simplistic as pitting all the blame on the players because they're the ones on the ice. If you break down every single bad play out there, of course it's the player who is responsible because they're the ones on the ice. If every player executed perfectly right every time, I have a feeling that the team would have a winning record regardless of who the coach was or what the system was.

But when you see a pattern of bad plays, or listlessness across the team, then you're looking at something that is endemic to more than just a guy or two having a bad game.

It's not one or two guys that is struggling out there. It's most of the guys. In that scenario, it's pretty hard to take a hard look at your roster to make sensible replacements or changes. It's a lot easier to see how they might play in front of someone else.
Agreed. I think the coach being fired will come as a massive surprise to some of these players. And I expect some of them to be petulant about it. They need to know that winning is acceptable. Losing is not. And there are consequences. These kid do NOT know consequences. They all got paid for essentially playing no defence. Most of them have never even played proper NHL hockey. Just fast loose run and gun garbage.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not that I love that contract but his game is coming around. Guy missed a year of hockey and then an entire training camp. He wasn’t going to hit the ground running.
I always thought he was super weak along the boards. And he’s now totally covered on the pp. I doubt he hits 35 ever again unless he’s playing with an unreal playmaking winger.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I always thought he was super weak along the boards. And he’s now totally covered on the pp. I doubt he hits 35 ever again unless he’s playing with an unreal playmaking winger.
Well since last year was his first time ever doing it, I’d say that’s a safe bet.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well he’s getting paid to do it.
He’s getting paid to beat his all time goal record at 36, which he did once lol.

Better pass along whatever your having to the rest of us then, so we can expect more than his career has shown to date, as well.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I guarantee you the players do not love losing. If DJ really was the reason they are losing, they would not be happy with him.

They do not love losing but they sure as hell do not love winning either.

What they do love is playing a junior game so they can pad their stats and feel good about themselves and then go out and party at the bars.

That is the only identity this team has.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yes, they're impactful immediately.

MacKinnon drafted, playoffs same year.
McDavid drafted, playoffs the next year.
Matthews drafted, playoffs same year.

How about teams more around our level?

J. Hughes drafted, playoffs in 4th year.
M. Barzal drafted, playoffs in 4th year.
Tim Stutzle drafted, on pace to miss playoffs yet again in 4th year.

We can keep going. I'm describing players and the success they had in their early 20s or even teens.

Nobody is asking for the Stanley Cup today but to win a Stanley Cup you need to start making the playoffs and this team has not shown anything that would make you believe they can make the playoffs.
I mean you’re using some of the very best 1oa picks of their generations as your examples though. Most young players don’t make a huge impact immediately. stammer and Hedman are examples of star 1OAs that needed time to have an impact on team success.

As the previous lists shows, most of those cup champ teams had star players in their mid to late 20’s to support/lead the young stars. Our mid to late players are good, but not star calibre at this point, and not the main leaders of the team save for Chabby.

My point wasn’t that I don’t wish we were better, or could be with different GM and or coaching staff, my point was that even if their points prime may statistically be in the lower 20’s many of these young stars need to be older to make a bigger winning impact.

We don’t have late 20’s super star players to lead the way here unfortunately. I suspect that when Sandy, Stu, and Brady are in their mid to late late 20’s they will be much more impactful in team success.

We need more, and better, vet support for the young core in my opinion. G is great, Tank has played pretty well, but we need more guys who know how to win. And we need a new coach. Like many I don’t like the lack of motor and lack of physicality of the team in general this year outside of the usual suspects, and Joseph.

I guess my point is that I don’t see our young core being in their prime right now. Only Brady is starting to enter a phase where he is trying to be more impactful on team success. Hard to perhaps convey what I’m saying, but I don’t disagree with your post.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Prime is what 25-29 give or take?

Brady is 23
Stutzle is 21
Sanderson is 21
Norris 25
Chychurn 25
Batherson 25
Chabot 26

We’re good fam, most are not in those years or just entering. That’s a solid young core. They need to be coached on how to play defence.
Excellent synopsis... The numbers show those key players are all below prime, some significantly so, a positive. It's not too late, but clock is running. You are bang on about what needs to happen coaching and leadership wise. We must not squander the next couple years with them not progressing, worse regressing. I cite what we've witnessed with Chabot and now to a degree with Sanderson... it's very alarming. I don't want to wait until key pieces start demanding trades. We need to witness continuous improvement, solid progress year over year. We need not only better defence, but offence too. We especially need players being held to higher standards - accountability. Not talking about benching, other than for refusing to heed instructions. Personally I am more than willing to be patient if I believe they are progressing. I reserve the right to be one sour nasty crusty bass-turd. totally unsympathetic if I perceive they remain stagnant or regress. To me this is akin to business, one is paid to perform. It's not fair to shareholders/fans if there is no return on financial/emotional investment. Results matter.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
They are all in their prime save for maybe Sanderson who is just entering it.

They are most likely all at their physical peak right now.

The problem is that they don't play their age. They play like they are 17 or 18 and like it's still juniors.

Reactions: LiseL

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I mean you’re using some of the very best 1oa picks of their generations as your examples though. Most young players don’t make a huge impact immediately. stammer and Hedman are examples of star 1OAs that needed time to have an impact on team success.

As the previous lists shows, most of those cup champ teams had star players in their mid to late 20’s to support/lead the young stars. Our mid to late players are good, but not star calibre at this point, and not the main leaders of the team save for Chabby.

My point wasn’t that I don’t wish we were better, or could be with different GM and or coaching staff, my point was that even if their points prime may statistically be in the lower 20’s many of these young stars need to be older to make a bigger winning impact.

We don’t have late 20’s super star players to lead the way here unfortunately. I suspect that when Sandy, Stu, and Brady are in their mid to late late 20’s they will be much more impactful in team success.

We need more, and better, vet support for the young core in my opinion. G is great, Tank has played pretty well, but we need more guys who know how to win. And we need a new coach. Like many I don’t like the lack of motor and lack of physicality of the team in general this year outside of the usual suspects, and Joseph.

I guess my point is that I don’t see our young core being in their prime right now. Only Brady is starting to enter a phase where he is trying to be more impactful on team success. Hard to perhaps convey what I’m saying, but I don’t disagree with your post.
Brady is one of the guiltiest players of the bunch of playing lax defense, cherry-picking at the blueline and making poor decisions with the puck. Just not good enough from your captain, who's supposed to be leading the way for everyone else to follow his lead. He's also been pointless in 9 of 17 games this year and has goals in only 5 of 17. That's not a recipe for success and you need better, more consistent results from the guy wearing the C.

If he got the C because he's the type of player to lead guys into battle, then he's clearly failing at that role because you can point out just a couple of guys on the roster who are actually battling every game.

They need a new coach to change the message/messenger, they need a better bottom 6 to have more roster balance, they need to shakeup a piece in the core to say that complacency isn't ok and these guys need to get hungry to play, fight for every puck and win battles.

I actually preferred the old DJ teams that worked hard, battled and played physical but lost on skill differential over this version of the team that thinks every night is the All-Star game and are out there doing fly-bys and trying to get themselves into highlight reels.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Surprised we haven’t heard from giroux yet moaning and groaning over the boos.
Love Giroux but if you are going to tell the fans to stfu you better deliver some fu..ing WINS
He lost every board battles I can remember last night

Andlauer should hire his friend Pat Roy as interim coach and GM for the year to put some discipline in the kindergarden
Next year Roy can take coach or GM and you find someone else to fit
Even if its takes long to find someone to get along Roy or WATHEVER
IT HAS TO STOP
On ice product is sickening
What worse can happen?
More losses lol?

Reactions: LiseL

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Brady is one of the guiltiest players of the bunch of playing lax defense, cherry-picking at the blueline and making poor decisions with the puck. Just not good enough from your captain, who's supposed to be leading the way for everyone else to follow his lead. He's also been pointless in 9 of 17 games this year and has goals in only 5 of 17. That's not a recipe for success and you need better, more consistent results from the guy wearing the C.

If he got the C because he's the type of player to lead guys into battle, then he's clearly failing at that role because you can point out just a couple of guys on the roster who are actually battling every game.

They need a new coach to change the message/messenger, they need a better bottom 6 to have more roster balance, they need to shakeup a piece in the core to say that complacency isn't ok and these guys need to get hungry to play, fight for every puck and win battles.

I actually preferred the old DJ teams that worked hard, battled and played physical but lost on skill differential over this version of the team that thinks every night is the All-Star game and are out there doing fly-bys and trying to get themselves into highlight reels.
Brady does a lot of what he’s supposed to be doing, and I don’t think the 23 year old captain is failing at his role at all.

I do agree that they need new voices in the room, and some accountability for lax and lazy play. I don’t think the team has a defensive focus in terms of system play, and they no longer seem to be playing a puck possession game.

Those older DJ teams had rosters filled with bootstrap guys, you could see that the tenacious play was infectious. We don’t have guys like that anymore, it’s left to Brady, who still needs mentorship in my opinion. G is great, but can’t do it alone. They need some late 20’s guys in there who work their asses off…. Where is Gary Roberts??? Lol

I’m all for a shake up. I’ve said it before that the kids need to see that real people get fired when they don’t play well, and that if the team can’t win, buddies get shipped out.

That’s how you relay the idea of consequences to this young squad. The core of Brady, Stu, Zub, and Sandy are my top untouchables, with Grieg and Pinto as close peripherals. I’m not saying everyone else can go, but I would explore brining in guys with heart and grit on the front and back end. A few guys who have been around the block and are hungry.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He’s getting paid to beat his all time goal record at 36, which he did once lol.

Better pass along whatever your having to the rest of us then, so we can expect more than his career has shown to date, as well.
?? So you don’t expect players to produce at the pace for which they got paid?

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
What's the reason according to you?
Lack of execution. Lack of ability,

Last night was a playoff team beating the shit out of a non playoff team.

I am pretty sure DJ was saying all the right things in the days leading up to the game. And then last night, one team executed and one team did not. One team got rock solid goaltending and one team did not. (Korps did make some huge stops but also had one glaring blunder). There's only so much DJ can do.

Sure, the Sens can try a new voice and it might shake things up. But in the end, the way they are playing, they just aren't good enough to make the playoffs.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Lack of execution. Lack of ability,

Last night was a playoff team beating the shit out of a non playoff team.

I am pretty sure DJ was saying all the right things in the days leading up to the game. And then last night, one team executed and one team did not. One team got rock solid goaltending and one team did not. (Korps did make some huge stops but also had one glaring blunder). There's only so much DJ can do.

Sure, the Sens can try a new voice and it might shake things up. But in the end, the way they are playing, they just aren't good enough to make the playoffs.
Ok
So whats the solution? Rebuild probably?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm going to try to be the optimist again (f*** the haters), but, the December schedule might be a blessing is disguise. It's clear the team is mentally distracted and underachieving, and our schedule so far has been so shitty and disjointed, which, combined with off ice distractions, has made it impossible for the team to get into a groove.

The December schedule is going to be challenging physically, but easier mentally. The team is rested and is becoming healthy with Chabot and Greig coming back. There's a real possibility for the team to go on a run here.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Last night was not a playoff team beating a non playoff team.

It was a professional NHL team beating a spoiled pampered wjc junior team and making them spazz out and cry in the process.

I wish it was only a playoff team beating a non playoff team.

• Love
Reactions: LiseL and robsenz

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Ok
So whats the solution? Rebuild probably?
The solution is patience. Let Staios and Andlauer do their jobs. Let them hire a new GM who can bring in a new coach. The core is still so young. We're the 4th youngest team in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad